Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
2e3u26e.jpg
QUOTE said:
Talking with Strategy Informer about the upcoming release of Star Wars: The Old Republic, Daniel Erickson, Writing Director for Bioware said that Final Fantasy XIII isn't an RPG. This was in reply to a question about the main staple of The Old Republic being its story, and how the game might be affected without good game play to support it, much like Final Fantasy XIII was.
QUOTE said:
"Well, before I address the main point I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a 'J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG. You don't make any choices, you don't create a character, you don't live your character... I don't know what those are - adventure games maybe? But they're not RPG's." said Erickson.
Would you agree or disagree with Erickson here?

Click here to see our full interview with Erickson.
Source

I kinda agree but it's like that for nearly all Final Fantasy games.
He be trolling.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They're more Adventure RPG's you get to live the life of that character and follow that story but it's an not RPG as you don't create you own character and the game isn't really that open ended (as in you don't have to follow the story line to enjoy the game, you can just go on and do whatever). so yeah in a sense I do agree that FF isn't an RPGit's just more of a Adventure RPG...or even a Closed RPG if you want.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
"Well, before I address the main point I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a 'J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG. You don't make any choices, you don't create a character, you don't live your character... I don't know what those are - adventure games maybe? But they're not RPG's." said Erickson.

Yeah, well, but you PLAY the ROLE of a character or multiple characters, hence the name ROLEPLAYING game.

Sometimes these crazy devs/marketing/whatever guys don't know what they're talking about at all.

And for anyone who's going to say "what about shooters, you play as someone."
FPS, because it's an FPS: FIRST PERSON shooter.
It's all the tiny differences that make something what it is.

So in the end, even final fantasy XIII is an RPG.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DBlaze said:
QUOTE said:

Yeah, well, but you PLAY the ROLE of a character or multiple characters, hence the name ROLEPLAYING game.

Sometimes these crazy devs/marketing/whatever guys don't know what they're talking about at all.

And for anyone who's going to say "what about shooters, you play as someone."
FPS, because it's an FPS: FIRST PERSON shooter.
It's all the tiny differences that make something what it is.

So in the end, even final fantasy XIII is an RPG.
This. There's close to no 'RPG's where you can fully customize a character to play with. The guy is retarded, nothing more, nothing less.

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
wait so he is saying that all RPG should be like wester RPG?

where our character is
AFGNCAAP? (Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral, Culturally Ambiguous Adventure Person)

with no characterization?, have this guy ever see ANY jrpg

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Disagree entirely.
RPGs are not defined by character creation, the genre is ROLE PLAYING games.
You assume the role of another character, be it one you created or they created.

Role playing games are defined by the control of parties and executing commands through menu based systems or maybe in real time, and customising your characters with an assortment of techniques, equipment, items, etc.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This guy's coming from the classic role-playing definition established by Dungeons and Dragons. You create a character, fight monsters, go on quests, gain exp, and the outcomes of your character's story depends on your own decisions. You're playing a 'role' in the game.

FFXIII is a really bare-bones RPG. You have multiple characters to control (sorta), but the only real input you have is deciding their equipment and techniques.

WRPGs these days tend to focus on character customization and moral/choice-systems. While still a long way from being perfect, it is much more RPG-ish (in the tradional sense) than Final Fantasy.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Celice said:
i like

that
all games

are RPGs

because

it's not you

smile.gif
Pretty much.

And if I were anyone at Bioware, I would not be slagging Square Enix and Final Fantasy, because quite frankly Bioware's RPG's are shit. Mass Effect, Dragon Age and KotoR all play and feel the same, anyone who has played them and is honest would agree with me.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
Celice said:
i like

that
all games

are RPGs

because

it's not you

smile.gif
Pretty much.

And if I were anyone at Bioware, I would not be slagging Square Enix and Final Fantasy, because quite frankly Bioware's RPG's are shit. Mass Effect, Dragon Age and KotoR all play and feel the same, anyone who has played them and is honest would agree with me.
No.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mr.Positive said:
After that terrible Sonic RPG for the DS, I don't think Bioware should be talking smack about other RPGs.
Yeah. Square Enix IS the only company making decent RPG's out there. Most people hate sequels because they expect GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF NOSTALGIA. Goddamn it, people like NEW things. Really.

Also, Role Playing Game. Really just sweeps the argument.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
Pretty much.

I've played ME 1+2, and Dragon Age, am a fairly honest fellow, and I don't agree with you in the least.

Mr.Positive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also wanted to add that I hate it when game developers make smug remarks like this.

But I'm not biased towards Final Fantasy or SE if anyone is wondering, I thought this was just as stupid as when Square claimed after FFXIII released that it isn't possible for open-world games to have good stories.

Both statements are pretty good examples of developers acting conceited.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
DSGamer64 said:
Pretty much.

I've played ME 1+2, and Dragon Age, am a fairly honest fellow, and I don't agree with you in the least.

Agreed, BioWare is the master of the Western RPG. Their games may have similar feels but are definitely different. KOTOR doesn't play like Mass Effect.

Squenix hasn't made much worthwhile recently, TBH.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Vulpes Abnocto said:
DSGamer64 said:
Pretty much.

Agreed, BioWare is the master of the Western RPG. Their games may have similar feels but are definitely different. KOTOR doesn't play like Mass Effect.

Squenix hasn't made much worthwhile recently, TBH.

Absolutely, especially when speaking in terms of console games. I mean there's TWEWY, which had a nice atmosphere (but not exactly the best RPG ever). But on consoles? Final Fantasy 13. Yeah. No comment.

(Although honestly, FFCC:Crystal Bearers is underrated...although that's more of an action/adventure than an RPG)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: it's a thing there