You can now easily load PS1 backups on your PlayStation Classic by using BleemSync

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 14, 2018.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The problem is that this version of PCSX reARMed doesn't properly emulate framebuffer as seen in this screenshot,
    snapped from Digital Foundry's video:

It looks like vomit, even ePSXe gets it right on ARM devices

Attached Files:

2. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Thats a cop out - and you know it - "changed files" in a github dont mean updates in the emulation core. Thats also "we enabled it to be ported to a new system" changes.

I went by readmes for a reason. And that reason is, that I was interested in "emulator versions".

I'll now look into the libretro "fork".

You are championing the notion that not everyone can be that dumb to simply go by a youtube headline, and I commend you for it - but I'm afraid, thats what everyone has done.

On the issue of "the ps classic source github" maybe not hosting the ps classic source - thats a definite posibility, but hey we are datamining now - and since you cant proof a negative - I then would want to know where the freaking youtuber making up the "updated version line" on the spot has his intel from - if it isnt available. Also it would be REALLY unlikely that whoever created the PS Classic didnt use the latest version of PCSXRearmed since it is three years old.

I at least go by information thats probable, and out there.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Latest release in here is r22 as well - and here are all the commits since three years ago:
    Every single one of those is a maintenance update - none updates the emulation core significantly (except maybe the ominous "use __ARM_ARCH").

But "updated version will save us all". Man staring at youtube headlines.

Looking at the commits in the librtro fork (which also uses r22 of the emulation core). Added support for a new armv7 architecture, did this:
    Code:
    Changed default clock speed to 100% from 57%

Default to 100% CPU speed as most hardware can handle it nowadays using the dynamic recompiler.
    If not, the option is in the advanced speed hacks menu, so in a logical place.
    (The PCSXRearmed version on the PS classic has it still at 57%, so you can try setting that to 100% - updated version ftw.) This is also not that much of a quality improvement, probably - since no one was complaining about game logic running slow.

One commit that claims: Fix polygon issues
    One commit that adds dithering to a core: Adding enable/disable dithering core option with support for Neon GPU (thats actually cool - but none of you will use it - because youtubers wont.)
    One commit to turn off the bios bootlogo by default.
    Fixes for dynarec not being used (its used in the PS Classic version).
    Fixes for the framebuffer.

Anda switch to a new dynarec - which actually could be considered an update, or not - it depends. We will see.

The rest is maintainence, and adding new plattforms stuff only - as well as the changes from the repo above.

NOTHING in there allows for general excitement over newer version.

But you all had to go with youtube headlines, like you always do.

Then even try to defend, that you did.

Updated version, updated version, so excited for updated version.

Strangely enough I seem to not calm down in the face of utter stupidity by everyone claiming to be an expert youtuber on that topic. Having people excited for an "updated version" for no reason - not really my jam.

Last edited by notimp, Dec 15, 2018
  3. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    And here is the most likely chain of events why you are all hyped up for "updated version" for no reason.

Youtuber "hacked his SNES classic" without knowing anything - like you usually do. Compared the worst running game (R4) on the PS Classic with it running on the SNES Classic - both with default settings. Couldnt say anything about the differences, because he hadnt had the vocabulary - or the knowledge about it. Remembered, that the SNES Classic emulator (canoe) was praised for low input lag.

Then made up the following in his mind while smiling into the camera:

- SNES Slassic has lower input lag on R4, which is most likely bullshit, since none of the Retroarch Cores on that system have especially great input latency.

Which he gave as the sole reason for SNES Classic having "better emulation". Idiot.

- He didnt touch on the choppy framerate that Digital Foundry reported especially on R4 - and which has to be considered the biggest issue.

We've by now found out, that it is caused by Frameskip set to auto on all games by default. This can be changed via the Esc menu (Video in the PS Classic thread in this forum.) and the games output as a result gets smoother to the point where a difference between this and the SNES Classic libretro Retroarch emulation using the same emulator becomes unlikely. But we'll see.
    (Cant test if the SNES Classic has Frameskip set to auto on PCSX Rearmed as well. If it has, maybe the difference is the new dynarec at work.)

4. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker Natsumi Naga

Aug 6, 2018
    Japan
    Shibuya
    I heard that the psx mini has poor emulation and very buggy audio issues with games and framerate renders some game awful to play.

5. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    Just wondering...
    If a PSP can play *MOST* PS1 games AND it is portable.
    A PS3 can play all PS1 games along with PS2 and PS3 games for probably around the same price as a PS One Classic. (PSP An dPS3 modded)

Aside from the materialism, what exactly are the incentives of buying this device?

6. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    should had no problem
    hey @Chary can you confirm and answer to this question?

7. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Go for it! :)

8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The emulator used is an outdated version of PCSX reARMed, but the same emulator on the Snes Classic runs them a lot better :lol:. If it could be swapped out with the most recent version, it'd run better.

9. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
    But I already have multiple PCs for emulation purposes.... why should I buy this? PC can do it way better and even cheap PCs can do it better.

10. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    then don't buy it. no ones asking for you to purchase
    they just wanted to grab some money in the Christmas and grab the nintendo bandwagon but failed to...

Memoir likes this.
  11. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Just seeing the Bleem name brings back memories!! I remember playing GT on Dreamcast via Bleemcast, has to be one of the main reason I got so interested in the emu scene!

To whoever is trying to defend the PS Classic against the SNES Classic: I've fired up multiple games on both and the games run better on SNES Classic. It's not a night and day difference, but it's there... I think in time, as the hardware in the PS Classic is better, this will change, but at the moment there's a [quite hilarious really] difference. Also to whoever mentioned rose tinted glasses (probably Sony employee Foxi :lol: ), check out Digital Foundry's video comparison on youtube...
    It's early days.. once the likes of Retroarch get added this could end up being a desirable bit of kit - I enjoyed tinkering with it (kid bro's wife bought him one for Chrimbo then found out more games he likes can be added, hence me then setting it up a couple of days back. Haven't bought one myself), but am not exactly gonna chuck my Pi rig or SNES Classic in the bin just yet!

12. evilone

evilone GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2017
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Bleemsync 0.4.0 rleased with some really sweet features.

https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync

• Automatic metadata scraping - if BleemSync detects no Game.ini is present for a game, it will attempt to download the information and game cover from BleemSync Central - a hosted database specifically tailored for BleemSync
    • 2 player controller support - Thanks mtrivs!
    • BleemSync will now run on boot. This feature can be disabled by deleting the System/BleemSync folder.
      note: syncing will only check for Game.ini on boot as there is no internet connectivity on the system
    • System/Defaults/pcsx.cfg has been added for allowing a default configuration of PCSX. This will be automatically copied into each game on boot.
    Im really looking forward for this promissing project.

the_randomizer and chrisisx like this.
  13. Shenyang

Shenyang Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2018
    Antarctica
    Yeah but would you want to really?

14. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Does this allow one to open the menu and change emulator settings with a button combo?

15. Hardy_Heron

Hardy_Heron Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2017
    Chile
    Valparaíso
    Greetings, guys. I would like to know if you can help me understand a little more how this loading bakcups works.
    1.- The "SONYAPP" applications are stopped
    2.- Folders are created in the USB device
    3.- The configuration files are dumped to the USB
    * Steps 2 and 3, are to avoid crashing *
    4.- Temporary partitions are created and the configuration files are dumped into them.
    5.- PCSX_ESC_KEY is exported
    6.- A synchronization is made (thanks to BleemSync) so that it recognizes the new list of games.
    7.- Being a temporary process, this must be done in the console every time it is turned on.
    Is it like that?
    Any correction?
    Thank you so much
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

killall -s KILL sonyapp showLogo ui_menu

# Extract system files to avoid crashing
    mkdir -p /media/System/Bios
    mkdir -p /media/System/Preferences
    mkdir -p /media/System/Preferences/System
    mkdir -p /media/System/Preferences/User
    mkdir -p /media/System/Preferences/AutoDimmer
    mkdir -p /media/System/Databases
    mkdir -p /media/System/Region
    mkdir -p /media/System/Logs
    mkdir -p /media/System/UI

# Copy the BIOS files to USB
    [ ! -f /media/System/Bios/romw.bin ] && cp -r /gaadata/system/bios/* /media/System/Bios
    # Copy the regional.pre to USB
    # This contains settings for the UI region
    [ ! -f /media/System/Preferences/System/regional.pre ] && cp /gaadata/preferences/* /media/System/Preferences/System
    # Copy out the user.pre to USB
    # This contains things like language setting
    [ ! -f /media/System/Preferences/User/user.pre ] && cp /data/AppData/sony/ui/* /media/System/Preferences/User
    # Copy out the auto dimming config to USB
    [ ! -f /media/System/Preferences/AutoDimmer/config.cnf ] && cp /data/AppData/sony/auto_dimmer/* /media/System/Preferences/AutoDimmer
    # Copy out the region info
    [ ! -f /media/System/Region/REGION ] && cp /gaadata/geninfo/* /media/System/Region
    # Copy ui error log
    [ ! -f /media/System/UI/error.log ] && cp /data/sony/ui/* /media/System/UI
    # Init the ui_menu.log
    [ ! -f /media/System/Logs/ui_menu.log ] && touch /media/System/Logs/ui_menu.log
    sync

# Unmount partitons and create tmpfs - Shut system down on failure
    MOUNT_FAIL=0
    umount /data || MOUNT_FAIL=1 
    umount /gaadata || MOUNT_FAIL=1 
    # Create gaadata and data folders in tmp then mount over original folders
    mkdir -p /tmp/gaadatatmp /tmp/datatmp
    mount -o bind /tmp/gaadatatmp /gaadata || MOUNT_FAIL=1 
    mount -o bind /tmp/datatmp /data || MOUNT_FAIL=1 
    [ $MOUNT_FAIL -eq 1 ] && reboot && exit

# Create gaadata on tmpfs
    mkdir -p /tmp/gaadatatmp/system/
    ln -s /media/System/Databases /tmp/gaadatatmp/databases
    ln -s /media/System/Region /tmp/gaadatatmp/geninfo
    ln -s /media/System/Bios /tmp/gaadatatmp/system/bios
    ln -s /media/System/Preferences/System /tmp/gaadatatmp/preferences
    ls /media/Games | grep '^[0-9]\+$' | xargs -I % sh -c "ln -s /media/Games/%/GameData /tmp/gaadatatmp/% && mkdir -p /media/Games/%/.pcsx && cp /media/Games/%/GameData/pcsx.cfg /media/Games/%/.pcsx"

# Create data on tmpfs
    mkdir -p /tmp/datatmp/sony/sgmo /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony
    ln -s /tmp/diag /tmp/datatmp/sony/sgmo/diag
    ln -s /dev/shm/power /tmp/datatmp/power
    ln -s /media/System/UI /tmp/datatmp/sony/ui
    ln -s /media/System/Preferences/User /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/ui
    ln -s /media/System/Preferences/AutoDimmer /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/auto_dimmer
    cp -r /usr/sony/share/recovery/AppData/sony/pcsx /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/pcsx
    ls /media/Games | grep '^[0-9]\+$' | xargs -I % sh -c "rm -rf /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/pcsx/% && ln -s /media/Games/% /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/pcsx/%"
    ln -s /media/System/Bios /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/pcsx/bios
    ln -s /usr/sony/bin/plugins /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/pcsx/plugins

# Fix for last selected game issue. If not in place user may experience UI issue
    sed -i "s/iUiUserSettingLastSelectGameCursorPos.*/iUiUserSettingLastSelectGameCursorPos=0/" /tmp/datatmp/AppData/sony/ui/user.pre

# Fix for line endings. BAD WINDOWS
    find /media -name *.cfg -exec sed -i 's/\r//g' {} \;
    find /media -name *.pre -exec sed -i 's/\r//g' {} \;

cd /data/AppData/sony/pcsx
    export PCSX_ESC_KEY=2
    /usr/sony/bin/ui_menu --power-off-enable &> /media/System/Logs/ui_menu.log
    sync
    sync
    reboot

16. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    Do you know how the "2 Player Controller Support" feature work? Would be awesome to use 4 controllers and play CTR or Crash Bash :wub:

EDIT: Have anyone tried to use one of these cables to use a DualShock Controller with games added on BleemSync? Or can anyone try to report if it works?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by MAXLEMPIRA, Dec 19, 2018
  17. D-an-W

D-an-W GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2002
    If BleemSync is used and then not used does the PSC return back to stock or does BleemSync modify things on there?

18. Hardy_Heron

Hardy_Heron Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2017
    Chile
    Valparaíso
    The modification is temporary, for that reason it pointed out that it extracts files and arranges them in partitions temporarily

19. D-an-W

D-an-W GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2002
    I understand that but I read people could not access the games that come pre-loaded after using BleemSync, was that due to an issue in an early version?

20. Mr_Milenko

Mr_Milenko Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Mr_Milenko is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 2, 2018
    United States
    If you reboot it without BleemSync itll be fine

D-an-W likes this.