Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The same could be said for the EOF.
And yet the main regulars of the EoF are all good friends with each other and we have a good laugh and at times friendly debate. Unlike the politics section where the regulars hates each other and everyone is just plain nasty.

So yes the camaraderie we have in the EoF is something to be proud of

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"one of"
Being banned and breaking rules is worse, but being a politics section regular is nothing to be proud of.
I would say being a politics section complainer is nothing to be proud of.

Seriously though what does having the section there do to drag down the site in your estimation, what do you imagine the average visitor (be they member or just passing through) will do (are they going to run in terror or something and not share with friends, or might they ignore it much like if they are after Switch hacking stuff they probably ignore emulators on the GBA)?
Does it irrecoverably warp the minds of impressionable youth? Does it damage the cohesion of the site unacceptably (it would have been decades ago I first heard the phrase "don't talk about religion or politics", though as few people have religion any more I am not sure about the former)? Does it see members driven off? Does it attract "bad people"? What if all those are just people that can't string a debate together (it does seem to be a skill less common than is ideal) and want to be wrapped in cotton wool and have nothing challenge them ever?
Would getting rid of it (still not sure what that would look like*) impact upon the idea that this is supposed to be a discussion site (people throw around the term gaming site, which it certainly has a focus on, but is not and has never been exclusively dedicated to)? Would that mean you are calling for a shift in the site's nature? What if instead we were to say if the discussions bother you then be the change you want to see and post whatever sorts of discussions interest you and see if you can get those going instead? From where I sit the section has maybe half a dozen threads of any great interest a week. Not hard to go on your chosen news sources and spin up a discussion based on those events, or indeed simply find a premise that interests you and do that while you do the daily browse.
Do I care if someone does pass the site by much like I don't care if someone sees the mobile phone/tablet forums here and skips on over to XDA-developers? What if on the other hand encountering a site where you can have a bit of discussion after running into so many neutered forums is something that attracts someone? Watch any hacking convention and people are far from apolitical, might be something not normally seen in day to day normal person discussions of such things but still one of them.

*right now I am watching "right to repair" be debated across the US. State and national level politicians holding talks with experts, big companies throwing millions at having it stopped, small guys and those that would benefit from it doing equally large amounts of effort, it speaking to what are considered fundamental aspects of law making and what laws aim to achieve for their societies.
That would seem fairly on topic for here --the site's founders all being well versed in this repairing computers and electronics lark, and repairing our stuff when it breaks is very much a common theme. It is however now inherently a political discussion so do we ban it?
The DMCA is a major piece of legislation that is basically never out of court these days being fundamentally tested, challenged and also reworked for the US which in turn has impacts across the world (while most usually look on to the US' takes on intellectual property with horror and fascination saying keep that for you there lads it certainly has an impact when it is the rule of the land for basically the major market for games -- Japan and Europe do well but... see how often they are ignored where nobody ignores the US for long). Do we ban all discussion of that one?
Do we just ban "sensitive" topics? Whatever that might be -- I do generally note in the abortion topics that outside the US and those two of three places where the Roman Catholic church has any power (so basically Poland and maybe the Republic of Ireland) that nobody cares. It is a thing you do and about as much of a moral failing as eating too many sweeties and needing a tooth repair or getting fat from it (indeed getting fat might actually be something people comment on). The whole gay alphabet soup thing is inherently political in places as well -- do we tell members "I don't give a shit if you are gay or trans, keep that shit out of here and talk about it somewhere else" just the same as we might "I don't care about your real world guns, talk about it somewhere else" under such a scenario?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things