Hacking Yoshis Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (GBA)

Greatforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I downloaded this gba title from a site and it had a .3ds extention. I placed it on the root of my gateway, and could select it on the 3ds like my other real 3ds games. I got the logo in the menu. But when i launched the game, it stayed black. How can i fix it?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold up, wait. Everybody back to your respective corners.
Yes, Greatforce's question is allowed.
No nobody is attacking someone for learning English. The comment was mildly rude but it was nowhere near the level of racism that is being asserted.

We're going to clean the slate and try this all over again.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Gateway uses only real 3ds games if you got a gba game with a 3ds extension then change it back to .gba and use it in your favorite gba emulator

He means, he has some GBA ambassador 3DS rips (.3DS), you just can't rename them to GBA and use them in your favorite GBA emulator.

The Ambassador games are not supported by Gateway and we don't know if the ever will. So use a GBA emulator on your PC or get a DSTwo NDS flashcart with GBA emulator to play your GBA games (.gba) on your 3DS in DS mode.

Greatforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, thanks. I gave up on the GBA games. I went with an SNES emulator instead :P (also the game i wanted was mistaken. I wanted Super mario world, which has a perfectly fine SNES version)

D

Deleted-355425

Yeah, thanks. I gave up on the GBA games. I went with an SNES emulator instead :P (also the game i wanted was mistaken. I wanted Super mario world, which has a perfectly fine SNES version)

get a dslite for mario world :)

ninjanick999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded this gba title from a site and it had a .3ds extention. I placed it on the root of my gateway, and could select it on the 3ds like my other real 3ds games. I got the logo in the menu. But when i launched the game, it stayed black. How can i fix it?
It's because gateway mode does not currently support AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM. AGB_FIRM is used for playing virtual console GBA games and TWL_FIRM is used to load NDS cartridges and DSi ware.
This is why you can't currently play NDS and GBA games in gateway mode. Gateway said that they would fix this, but that was a while back, before 9.x support and N3DS. Hopefully we will see this fixed in a future gateway update.

Reactions: Hammyface

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another small hurdle for us gateway users, I mean im no developer but whats so hard about getting gba ambassador games to work? i bet there not even working on is thats what. i bet they think its not high priority. we need to nag them that what.

ninjanick999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway said this:
"Our beta testers have mentioned a few minor issues:
* The Gameboy Advance virtual console games and DSiWare are not working yet.
We acknowledge this and we will try to get it working after the next firmware release."
But keep in mind this was a long time ago, It was 2.3b
They have a lot of things that take priority over GBA/NDS support now.

9.6 Emunand
N3DS support without the use of a game to load the exploit
Possible OOT/Cubic Ninja support for non new 3DS systems
Debuging
etc...

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another small hurdle for us gateway users, I mean im no developer but whats so hard about getting gba ambassador games to work? i bet there not even working on is thats what. i bet they think its not high priority. we need to nag them that what.

Effectively, the system reboots into DS mode when booting a GBA game. The hurdle is to do this while keeping the emunand knowing that the game is actually loading...thus far, no one's been able to achieve this in any sort of emunand (NTR, rxTools, palentine, MT, or gateway). Of course, there's a little more to this, but this is more or less the short of it. If this was a trivial thing to sort out, I'm sure someone (even outside of gateway) would have figured it out. I know there was some talk of getting this up and running in rxTools (at least that's what I believe I recall reading anyways), but this hasn't happened yet.

ninjanick999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Effectively, the system reboots into DS mode when booting a GBA game. The hurdle is to do this while keeping the emunand knowing that the game is actually loading...thus far, no one's been able to achieve this in any sort of emunand (NTR, rxTools, palentine, MT, or gateway). Of course, there's a little more to this, but this is more or less the short of it. If this was a trivial thing to sort out, I'm sure someone (even outside of gateway) would have figured it out. I know there was some talk of getting this up and running in rxTools (at least that's what I believe I recall reading anyways), but this hasn't happened yet.
So is it possible that there may not be a way to run GBA/NDS applications in emunand, because it will end up going back into sysnand?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure someone will eventually work it out, it's just a question of more or less linking an emunand copy of the ds mode to the emunand copy of the 3ds mode. How easy or hard this is to do at a low level, however, is far beyond my comprehension.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mmmhh nicely put, so meaning that the 3ds has no native gba interpreter but it relies on DS emulation, and i also believe that 3ds flash carts cant also boot downloaded ds classics correct?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmmhh nicely put, so meaning that the 3ds has no native gba interpreter but it relies on DS emulation, and i also believe that 3ds flash carts cant also boot downloaded ds classics correct?

It's not really emulation either, it's DS hardware built into the 3ds...meaning the GBA also isn't really emulation, but rather relies on the DS hardware (which is basically 100 percent hardware compatible)

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because gateway mode does not currently support AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM. AGB_FIRM is used for playing virtual console GBA games and TWL_FIRM is used to load NDS cartridges and DSi ware.
This is why you can't currently play NDS and GBA games in gateway mode. Gateway said that they would fix this, but that was a while back, before 9.x support and N3DS. Hopefully we will see this fixed in a future gateway update.

TWL_FIRM doesn't even work on DSi consoles though with flashcarts. Why can't I play DSiWare via flashcarts on my DSi?

ninjanick999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TWL_FIRM doesn't even work on DSi consoles though with flashcarts. Why can't I play DSiWare via flashcarts on my DSi?
This is because when a DSi boots a NDS cartridge (in this case your flashcart) it boots it as a regular NDS cart with out any of the DSi features. It's kinda like the NDS mode on a 3DS.
It would be possible to make a DSi flashcart that boot as DSi mode and load DSi ware games, but I doubt we are going to see anything like this because NDS carts aren't nearly as popular as they used to be.
At this point if a company was going to make a new type of flashcart it would be for the 3DS, because there is a much larger market for 3DS flashcarts currently.

If they ever figure out how to load NDS/GBA on emunand then we would be able to install DSi ware as CIA.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If [Gateway] ever figures out how to load NDS/GBA on emunand then we would be able to install DSi ware as CIA.

That would be awesome!

I'm not even into piracy but Nintendo has made it literally impossible to obtain some DSiWare legally. Some of that stuff will be lost permanently in time if it's never cracked!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended