Yoshi's Island DS - Music Mod

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Missing Number, May 26, 2008.

May 26, 2008
  1. Missing Number
    OP

Member Missing Number GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hi peoples of the .... umm... board... i got a Q..

My girlfriend is madly addicted to mario, and i've recently hooked her up with Super Mario All-Stars, and Yoshi's Island, but she also gots a DS (well... its mine... but...), and i wanted to get her Yoshi's Island DS to play after she finishes its predecessor

only problem is.... i never beat that game....cuz.... THE MUSIC SUCKS!!!!!!!

try as i may, i could not play the game longer then 5 minutes, sometimes turning off mid-stage, so i got a question..... can ANYONE help me kill the music in this game? i know u gotta DSLazy it or something, but the files that contain the music..... which are they? and what do i gotta do to replace them with Yoshi's Island (1)'s music? do the files have to be a certain filetype, a certain size?

i know if i give her this game, she'll either :
    -hate me (cuz the music sucks),
    -hate the game (cuz the music sucks)
    or worst case scenario....
    -love the god awful music and play it constantly where i can hear it!!!!! (cuz the music SUUUCKSSSSSS!!!)

can anyone direct me in this endeavor?

or did someone already do this? if so, can i get the link?

[​IMG]

2. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    sounds are generally stored in a .sdat file.
    but you can't just replace it with a random sdat from a different game, since the music in other games have different filesizes and durations.

3. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    how about u just lower the sound? i dink thats why it was invented; better yet, give her some headphones while she plays

4. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Whats so bad about the sound? Its fine.

5. Missing Number
    OP

Canada
    I want the sound, not the music, lol

The World Ends With You has some mods, why not this? there has to be a converting process no?

6. DarkSpace

Member DarkSpace Custom member title

United States
    Can't you unpack it edit, and then repack it with DS lazy?

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Have a look for the tetris DS sound threads as they are what you want to be doing (I made one to change the music to kalinka/karinka/korobenki (various names depending on who you speak to/where you look but think the classic tetris theme and another person whose name eludes me right now made one to kill the sound completely)

edit: here is my thread but I seem to recall the no music one had a lot more detail.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36870

Failing that have a look at some of the undubbing threads and links within them as they will eventually land you at the DS SDAT sound format specs:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=87695
    You most likely just want to adjust the file system to play something more agreeable or to a nonexistent space.

8. Missing Number
    OP

Canada
    Thanks, now i gotta figure out how to do this before she is done with Yoshi's Island LOL

now if i had any idea how to do this and turn it into an IPS or somethin, i'd share it with everyone.....

anyone got a clue about IPS'n? lol

9. TSPhoenix

Member TSPhoenix GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Since you are moving data around and changing files IPS isn't the best way to patch it. There is another patching system but I forget what it is called, PPF?

As for sharing it, depends on what you are replacing the music with as to whether you are allowed to or not. But yeah I agree YIDS's music is intolerable.

10. toymin80r

Member toymin80r GBAtemp Regular

United States
    woah, i know this is old, but did anybody ever release a music hack for Yoshi's Island DS? I've looked around but had no luck.. (i just started playing the game and the music's just missing it's charm..)

11. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Why dont you just make your own topic instead of bumping up year old topics

12. toymin80r

United States
    sorry man, it's just that people usually say "use the search function", so i thought it would be useless to make another topic...

13. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I dont think people are gonna say 'Use the search button' to reference a year old topic.

14. toymin80r

United States
    oh, well... okay then.

15. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Also...this is old, but I must note that The World Ends with You is a different beast. It uses streamed audio, so all the songs are ADX files. If you look at them and know what format the game expects, it isn't that hard to make an ADX with some loop points that sounds nice.