Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
YO-Kai_Eng_logo_Final_TM.jpg
After selling millions and being a cultural phenomenon in Japan, the Nintendo 3DS family of systems role-playing game YO-KAI WATCH is coming to the United States. Published by Nintendo, YO-KAI WATCH centers on a boy who gets a special watch that lets him befriend and help mischievous Yo-kai and later summon them to fight other Yo-kai. Players can overcome challenges and help various characters solve everyday problems with the help of Yo-kai friends. These eccentric Yo-kai resemble anything from inanimate objects to mythical creatures.

Release date is still TBC
Illustration1.jpg

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Reactions: Pablitox

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Some more info here:

After the 2013 launch in Japan, the Nintendo 3DS game became a top seller and was well-received by both critics and players. Along with the anime and manga, the YO-KAI WATCHphenomenon evoked wide-spread popularity and demand for the brand among children.
"With sales of more than 7 million units in Japan, YO-KAI WATCH is coming to the U.S., where a new audience will be able to experience this irresistible franchise for the first time," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "It doesn't matter if you're a kid, parent, fan or fan-in-the-making: Everyone will be won over by this charming game."
YO-KAI WATCH is launching in the United States, Latin America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Korea, demonstrating its global demand and appeal. Beyond video games, manga and anime television shows, YO-KAI WATCH has generated more than $1 billion in retail sales of toys and other merchandise in Japan, not counting games, music or publishing.

Reactions: Deleted User

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Woha, did I read juat right? LatinAmerica and united states?

Seems like some are taking us into account, this is so awesome :lol:

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really think this is a bad idea.
I guess I say that because unlike most Americans, I've actually heard of Youkai Watch before.

I wonder how many Americans had heard of Tomodachi Life/Collection before that was released.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really hope they will release this in Europe as well !!!
I already wanted to Play this game in Japanese but as I only have a Sky3ds and no idea how that Region free Thing works I haven't done so yet :(

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I really dislike the title they used Yo-kai instead of much better looking Youkai. :huh:

Anyway, glad to see this coming to EU. I played the first game and its fantastic.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I really dislike the title they used Yo-kai instead of much better looking Youkai. :huh:

Anyway, glad to see this coming to EU. I played the first game and its fantastic.
Well, in Japanese the う in ようかい is basically used to extend the お sound. I believe if they were to leave with an U, it would be pronounced wrongly by Americans. Also note that they have a dash in front of O, maybe to extend the sound like in the Japanese title.
Hmm, thinking about it, they didn't bother to change the Title into "Monster Watch" or something similar, they kept with 妖怪. May hint that it will be a simple translation, not a full blown localization...

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, in Japanese the う in ようかい is basically used to extend the お sound. I believe if they were to leave with an U, it would be pronounced wrongly by Americans. Also note that they have a dash in front of O, maybe to extend the sound like in the Japanese title.
Hmm, thinking about it, they didn't bother to change the Title into "Monster Watch" or something similar, they kept with 妖怪. May hint that it will be a simple translation, not a full blown localization...
Im actually translator/simultaneous interpreter of japanese language so it bothers me a lot :lol:
Well there are several possible transcriptions for long vowels that use two morae. It can be Yookai, Yohkai, Youkai or Yōkai. These are the most common.
I guess they went with the katakana style transcription of double vowels with the ーmark or 長音符, which is rather unusual since its only used in katakana.

To be honest I really think they should have gone with full translation of the title ''ghost watch'' or ''phantom watch''. That way, players would at least know what the thing is all about.

Reactions: Pablitox

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that they've renamed the main character to nathan, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it being a faithful translation to the original japanese

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1