• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Yet another woman accuses governor Cuomo of Sexual harassement.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And let me guess, you think Anita Sarkeesian's criticisms of sexism in games and gaming as a whole have merit?
Nah. She stumbled her way onto a couple valid criticisms, but for the most part she's overly sensationalist and melodramatic. That doesn't mean she deserves death threats and the like, though.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah. She stumbled her way onto a couple valid criticisms, but for the most part she's overly sensationalist and melodramatic. That doesn't mean she deserves death threats and the like, though.

And you also think the criticisms Jack Thompson makes about violent video games are valid?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And you also think the criticisms Jack Thompson makes about violent video games are valid?
Not a name I'm familiar with. Violence in video games has never been a major problem where I'm concerned, just something people like to blame for all of society's ills. Much like comic books and D&D before that.

Reactions: IncredulousP

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It doesn't matter when it comes down to civil or criminal charges in a court of law. It only matters where public opinion is concerned.

Well that's a form of oppression brought upon ourselves by ourselves, aka toxic masculinity. Certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, but also an issue that's been around far longer than the MeToo movement.

I think what you're missing here is that things have been weighted in men's favor since the beginning of recorded history. It wasn't until the last decade or so that women in America have started to become comfortable reporting their abusers. Prior to that they'd just bottle it up inside because there was nobody willing to take them seriously or follow up on accusations anyway.
1. Public opinion should not be involved whatsoever, and the fact it is - the fact it's a major reason why these accusations are so damning to the male victim - is sickening and needs to be stopped. Not going to, any time soon, but it should as it perverts justice by not allowing the accused the chance to defend himself.
2. "Toxic masculinity" is a bullshit buzz-term used by third-wave feminists to discredit masculinity and anyone who (rightfully) criticises feminism. It doesn't exist, and men should not be seen as "weak" for admitting they were victimised. It'd be better if the media showed more examples of female assaulters, but that doesn't bring in the views/clicks, so they won't.
3. Even if things have been "weighted in men's favour since the beginning", that doesn't mean men should now be treated as trash, their rights as humans ignored. That doesn't mean women should have the power and influence to completely annihilate male lives and reputations, and leave them without any way to recover.

What you're saying is disgusting, and will not lead to egalitarianism.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It doesn't matter when it comes down to civil or criminal charges in a court of law. It only matters where public opinion is concerned.

Well that's a form of oppression brought upon ourselves by ourselves, aka toxic masculinity. Certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, but also an issue that's been around far longer than the MeToo movement.

I think what you're missing here is that things have been weighted in men's favor since the beginning of recorded history. It wasn't until the last decade or so that women in America have started to become comfortable reporting their abusers. Prior to that they'd just bottle it up inside because there was nobody willing to take them seriously or follow up on accusations anyway.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about, do you? You think those are arguments debunking my claims...I feel sorry for you, trying to defend a broken, sexist society that's doing all it can to trample over men - and you're a dude too, so it affects you as well.
One night of consensual sex can easily become "rape" if the woman wants it to, since there's nothing to prove it wasn't and it's a woman's word against a man's about potential sexual assault. She could do it if she's feeling vindictive, or if she just wants attention as a "survivor"; her reasons don't matter. If it's later proven she lied, it won't matter; she won't be punished, and you'll still have the stigma of being a "rapist".
If a drunk man and a drunk woman have drunk sex together, when neither party can consent, who gets in trouble for "rape"? The man of course, practically every single time.
Hell, even high school girls can use accusations as blackmail against their male schoolmates (video).

So yeah, please take your defense of a broken, misandristic society and leave.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's kind of creepy how a strong confirmation bias in the OP turns the thread in a dumpster fire before the second page.

Who's in favor of Cuomo at this point? The answer is clearly 'no one', but for some dumb reason it starts with '... But I believe THAT group does!' and then things go off the rails all over the place.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kind of creepy how a strong confirmation bias in the OP turns the thread in a dumpster fire before the second page.

Who's in favor of Cuomo at this point? The answer is clearly 'no one', but for some dumb reason it starts with '... But I believe THAT group does!' and then things go off the rails all over the place.

All I'm hearing is the blind support for the "BELIEVE WAHMEN" train of thought.

And anyone who's been paying attention to things knows that this is just to distract from his failures with the elderly and that one nursing home that conveniently burned down just the other day. Not sus at all!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1. Public opinion should not be involved whatsoever, and the fact it is - the fact it's a major reason why these accusations are so damning to the male victim - is sickening and needs to be stopped.
It's pretty much only involved to the extent that the accused is famous or well-known. Nobody cares when Joe Schmoe is accused of sexual assault except a select few in his hometown/current area of residence.

It (toxic masculinity) doesn't exist, and men should not be seen as "weak" for admitting they were victimised.
The latter part of that statement contradicts the former. Men are seen as "weak" by other men for admitting they were victimized precisely because toxic masculinity does exist. I agree that it shouldn't exist, but we aren't there yet obviously.

3. Even if things have been "weighted in men's favour since the beginning", that doesn't mean men should now be treated as trash, their rights as humans ignored. That doesn't mean women should have the power and influence to completely annihilate male lives and reputations, and leave them without any way to recover.
Nobody claimed they should. You're inventing boogeymen who are out to get you in your imagination. Like just don't rape...it's not that hard.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, do you? You think those are arguments debunking my claims...I feel sorry for you, trying to defend a broken, sexist society that's doing all it can to trample over men - and you're a dude too, so it affects you as well.
Oh cry me a fucking river lmao. I don't share your need to play the role of victim. Maybe because I've never once been discriminated against for being a straight white male. Then again, I'm sure neither have you.

Reactions: TheDreamLord

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty much only involved to the extent that the accused is famous or well-known. Nobody cares when Joe Schmoe is accused of sexual assault except a select few in his hometown/current area of residence.

The latter part of that statement contradicts the former. Men are seen as "weak" by other men for admitting they were victimized precisely because toxic masculinity does exist. I agree that it shouldn't exist, but we aren't there yet obviously.

Nobody claimed they should. You're inventing boogeymen who are out to get you in your imagination. Like just don't rape...it's not that hard.

Oh cry me a fucking river lmao. I don't share your need to play the role of victim. Maybe because I've never once been discriminated against for being a straight white male. Then again, I'm sure neither have you.

Then you admit that white privilege doesn't exist, and that the only standards are double standards with that reply to Richard?

And you think false accusations have never led to false convictions? Boy, do I have a story for you!

https://lawtrack.com/false-accusations.html

But no, Akira's just invented mental boogeymen. And what part of "masculinity" is toxic to begin with? Real men can be in the right to cry when the situation warrants it.

And stuff like this happens all the damn time to everyone, be it a homeless person, or the richest politician in government. It happened to Joseph with him fleeing the lustful temptations of Potiphar's wife and getting tossed into the slammer for it, and it's been happening throughout history ever since.

The best solution for all of these situations is to always have a chaperone to be a witness, save the sex until marriage, and to be married to that spouse for the rest of one's life.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Then you admit that white privilege doesn't exist, and that the only standards are double standards with that reply to Richard?
No reasonable human could infer that from what I said. It's closer to the opposite of what I said.

And what part of "masculinity" is toxic to begin with? Real men can be in the right to cry when the situation warrants it.
The men displaying toxic masculinity are those mocking the other guy for crying. I don't see what's so complicated about this.

The best solution for all of these situations is to always have a chaperone to be a witness, save the sex until marriage, and to be married to that spouse for the rest of one's life.
Lmao, what is this, the 1500s? No, the best solution is to create a society where even the weakest of men, women, and children can feel safe. Barring that, people at least need to feel safe reporting their abusers/harassers.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Lmao, what is this, the 1500s? No, the best solution is to create a society where even the weakest of men, women, and children can feel safe. Barring that, people at least need to feel safe reporting their abusers/harassers.
To the police, yes - NOT ONLINE to ruin the accused's reputation, get him fired from his job/evicted from university and blacklisted, and destroy his relationships.
There's a stark difference between the two, that you seemingly fail to grasp.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, all those women who get raped walking alone at night, it's the woman's fault for not walking with someone. How dare they feel safe enough to walk alone...

Get the fuck out of here with your religious boomer bullshit. Saving sex and staying married have nothing to do with it.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No reasonable human could infer that from what I said. It's closer to the opposite of what I said.

The men displaying toxic masculinity are those mocking the other guy for crying. I don't see what's so complicated about this.

Good principles and practices never age. They are timeless.

Even the Bible, you know, the book that the old white dudes who want to build a giant Death Star tractor beam to suck up everything you and others like? Even that has passages of men who weep, cry, and mourn in all sorts of contexts. Men are expected to be stoic in the face of life's struggles, but when Absalom was killed in battle when David wanted to spare him since Absalom was kind of pissed off for legit reasons (what, with a half brother feigning sickness and raping Absalom's sister, which led to Absalom taking matters into his own hands, and is a picture perfect reason as to why having one marriage throughout one's lifetime is much better than having a harem of 4-5 ladies, and a whole bunch of children with all of them that eventually set the pattern for Solomon to have hundreds of wives, or at least that's how 1 Kings states it), so what is toxic masculinity other than a facet of the same philosophy that says its OK to punch Nazis...and to then toss anyone on the Republican side of the political aisle into that group so it becomes A-OK in your sides' view to do so.

And I quote you: "I don't share your need to play the role of victim. Maybe because I've never once been discriminated against for being a straight white male. Then again, I'm sure neither have you."

White privilege doesn't exist according to this statement. If it did, then I shouldn't have had to work at Walmart stocking shelves. I should be living in a mansion, have parents who don't care about how promiscuous I am because they can buy all of the girls' silence thanks to bribing them, and I should be inheriting that money regardless of whatever it is I do. Not to mention them buying me every game, toy, piece or tech that I want, no questions asked. That's the life of Hunter Biden, not your average, every day person of whom the law is applied when the elites set things up in the justice and legal systems to be all about rules for thee, not for me because they control people by promising them preferential treatment that the recipients of said behavior know is not handed out to just anyone.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, all those women who get raped walking alone at night, it's the woman's fault for not walking with someone. How dare they feel safe enough to walk alone...

Get the fuck out of here with your religious boomer bullshit. Saving sex and staying married have nothing to do with it.

Or, the fault of a careless set of parents/siblings, or it could be the woman's fault depending on the facts of the case.

And it has nothing to do with being Christian or Muslim. Believe it or not, but there exist atheists who look to the Bible and the principles, statutes, and methodologies as a guide for how to handle situations like this that can spiral out of control if not handled properly!

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sorry but him being sexually inappropriate is infinitely less important than the fact that he killed 15000 people.
I agree, but him supposedly (I haven't looked it up to verify, so "supposedly" will have to do) being a mass-fucking-murderer, if not a genocider, doesn't mean he should be victimised by an unverified accusation made by a woman. NO-ONE should be.

And really, we're not even talking about good ol' Cuomo (whoever he is; never heard of him before), but instead men in general, and how they have the shit end of the stick in many ways.

...Oh, and how about how men are automatically seen as potential pedophiles if they want to spend time with - or are just near - children? Women are never seen as pedophiles, despite how many female pedos there are.
And domestic violence too - if the topic's ever brought up, it's 100% guaranteed the man will automatically be labelled as "abuser" and his girlfriend/wife "victim" (which can allow female perps the ability to act as if it's true, and prevents the man from using self-defense out of the fear of leaving marks on his partner and being judged negatively for it), and if that's later proven untrue the man still won't get the same sympathy or aid as an actual female victim.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
To the police, yes - NOT ONLINE to ruin the accused's reputation, get him fired from his job/evicted from university and blacklisted, and destroy his relationships.
There's a stark difference between the two, that you seemingly fail to grasp.
This is some straight-up incel-like bogeyman shit. You realise how little the justice system actually offers to women? As someone who used to be close friends with a rapist (before he told me what he did, obviously), the two women sought action against him and nothing ever happened despite him saying that he did it. When I saw that happen, I knew why women don't report things to the police. It's fucking useless. No matter what statistics you look at, the vast majority of rape and sexual assault is never reported.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D