Yet another newbie enters the fray..

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Majink, May 25, 2004.

1. Telvin_3D

Telvin_3D GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Telvin shakes his head sadly as Luse runs by with a bar of soap, seemingly on his way to the "exercise room"

Anyway. Hello from one more of the loonies. Stick around for a while. Have some Grog. And don't feed the animals.

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

nobody counted the members so far so... anybody wanna have some BBc? [​IMG]

3. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    Char broiled human?!?! thats one of my alltime faves! pass me some "Fruit" Pie Dragonlord [​IMG] muhaha
    *munch**crunch* hmm maybe i better burn off that delectable pie in the "excercise room" then off to the reception to harass the receptionist! ahhhh the life and luxuries of a batchelor!

4. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    batchelor? in what?

5. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    batchelor! y'know..in being single as in without a wife/mistress

6. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    ah... i thought about a university batchelor in the first place... [​IMG]

7. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    hehe it'll be a while before i can say i have one of those.. although.. i am applying for a course in 3d animation as im already a keen 3d modeller.

I might just start a 3d modelling topic in the graphics section hmm.. wuddya think?

8. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    in what sense? we had already a couple of 3d thingies around here.

9. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    hmm im not sure ive been modelin various things for many a half-life mod and im working with an hl2 mod team right now so... either a lightwave tutorials topic, or possibly a thread where people can come and ask for models to be made. Or if you think of a topic within 3d modelling that you would like to see addressed then let me know.

10. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    you are though on moddb?

11. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    yeh we are but our webpage isnt up right now due to the mod leader having some tech troubles you can check out some of my work on my site...(plz ignore crappy img based news as im a newbie html'er Digital Anarchy

[edit] our mod name is Extermination or The Combine we aint quite decided yet [/edit]

12. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
  13. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    Very nice! that dragon is just awesome.. if you ever need an extra pair of hands to help then im just a PM away. Im head modeller there and since our mod is based in the world of hl2 we dont need any humanoid models so im concentrating on weapons atm. I have worked for 2 mods and one defunct retail game, Gohans Hidden Powers- HL1 mod, Extermination-HL2 mod and Legacy 3d space sim for pc.

14. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    hm... i'm currently not looking for members but once i get my engine over to rendering the models (i'm currently on the terrain part of the engine and the script language inclusion) i could need somebody with better skills than me.

say... what's your moddb name if you are there too? (mine is the same as here)

15. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    My name on Moddb is Majink same as here. Also i doubt im better than you judging by that dragon but im going to try and make one just to see if im capable [​IMG]

16. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    well i think you should. i'm a hard-coder and not a modeller thus i should be worse than somebody doing models in the first place. also the dragon is a sub-division mesh thus it looks kinda high-poly but in fact the mesh sceleton is damn low-poly... [​IMG]

http://rptd.dnsalias.net/epsylon/epsylon/s...ealth_crossbow/
    have a look at this once. i would like to here the opinion of somebody knowing about animations. i just quickly slammed this together (do not look at the picture. i tried a first skinning but it went horrible [​IMG]).

17. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    well they look great so far but one thing on the shoot_reload, once the bolt is released you could speed up the drawing back of the bow wire (unless you like it like that) but thats just my opinion [​IMG] apart from that "its all gravy" as they say!

18. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    that the bow is slowly moving back has it's sense. the key principle of the game is not using fire-power to achieve your goals but using your brains. that's why the small number of available 'weapons' (let's call them devices for the moment) are tweaked in a way you can't use them just like this. in this case you can put asleep a guard with one tranquilizer dart but you can't fire them quickly so you have to think if you want to use it if there is more than one or if you wanna try something else to get passed them.

and what's "it's all gravy"? never heard of that expression.

19. Majink
    OP

Majink Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2004
    Scotland
    ahh i see now it makes much more sense I see your point and having that pace is a good idea for a stealthy game. the phrase "its all gravy" means "everythings great!"

20. Dragonlord

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    *hides*
    don't make me go redish... the crossbow still seems a bit strange and the animation sequence of the dragon breaks if you overshoot the leg... and lot-a-things are missing... he has no ears and no tongue... although teeth he has [​IMG]