Yet another Cyclo/SCDS1 Thread

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by loz_the_guru, Jul 15, 2008.

Jul 15, 2008
  1. loz_the_guru
    OP

Newcomer loz_the_guru Member

United Kingdom
    Well if those b*stards at DX hadnt just hiked the price of the cylco up.

Ive searched the forums and read many similar threads, but its got to the point where im just confusing myself.

Basically, I currently own a MK1 R4 and its been fine so far. I also have an EZFlash 3 in 1, which I operate via GBAExploader (although i dont use it much, games which actually utilize the memory/rumble seem few and far between, and the opera browser is plain rubbish). Ive just bought an SDHC card though without realising its not supported by my current card. Therefore im looking at replacing it with either a Cyclo or a SCDS1.

The only real bonus I can see the Cyclo having is the Wii WiFi connectivity. I do own a Wii, but wonder whether many games will use the connectivity feature.

I do change my R4 skin every few months, but its not like I do it on a weekly basis.

As far as I can see, the pro's/con's look like this:

Cyclo:
    Pros
    WiFi Connectivity
    EZFlash management dealt with by the cart itself (Not 100% on this, could someone confirm?)

Cons:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s

SCDS1
    Pros:
    -$$$$$'s
    Ability to run 3 Firmwares (is this actually useful?)
    Has the in game text thing (again, actually useful?)

Cons:
    No WiFi Connectivity
    No EZFlash management dealt with by the cart itself
    Skins seem tricky to apply

Are those pretty much correct? If anyones got anything to add that would help me make my mind up, please say. At the moment the price difference just doesnt seem worth it so im leaning towards the SCDS1.

Also, as a P.S, is there any difference between these two:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097
    and
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12182

Apart from the price?

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Well, the in-game text thing is coming to the CycloDS, but it's still in beta right now.

And don't forget about the SCDS1's In-game Real Time Cheats, that's a neat feature [​IMG]

I actually use GBA Exploader without too much hassle with my EZ-3-in-1... Still, it would be nice seeing it integrated in the SCDS One menu [​IMG]

With the latest firmware you can apply skins really easily on the SCDS1, just create a dir, place the skin in it, and then you can select your favourite skin in the SCDS1 menu [​IMG]

The 3-firmwares-thingy is useful, as sometimes the DSTT Team (or Yasu) actually puts out Firmware updates some days before the SC Team. And the DSTT menu's also a lot easier to use than the standard SCDS One menu, so you might prefer that as it directly puts all the games on the list and boots up faster.

I'm not really sure about the SCDS One WiFi Wii-connectivity thing. I'll try it sometime soon... It should work (theorically) if you disable the patching mode (thus running the game in clean mode) as it should be the same as a retail cart. Still, I'm not sure about this thing.

The SCDS1 menu is Moonshell, so it has BrickMe protection and media capatibilities built-in, but it's a bit slow. It's just a matter to get used though, after a while you don't even notice that [​IMG]

Yep, the first one runs with the English firmware and the second with the Chinese firmware.
    Obviously, unless you know Chinese, get the English one [​IMG]

3. loz_the_guru
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies guys, certainly answered a few questions and its always nice to hear from owners of both cards too.

Ive just watched a few youtube reviews of each cart and the SCDS1 menu system does seem painfully slow, worse than my current R4 infact. Does anyone have an opinion on this, is it something thats liekly to be addressed in a future firmware update, or more likely hardware related? On the other hand the Cyclo menu system does look very very slick (although a blatant Cover Flow rip-off).

Im going to mull it over as i'm not in any rush. Presumably DX is the best place to get a SCDS1, but how about the Cyclo? Im more interested in price than anything else, like I said im in no hurry.

Thanks again!

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    From my investigations, the CycloDS EVO looks to be the absolute BEST slot1 card on the market today. I'd say get that one regardless of price since it will very quickly pay for itself in money saved buying DS games.

5. perkele

Member perkele GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Team Cyclops made DX raise their price, so they are the bastards.
    Read more here.

6. GX255

Newcomer GX255 Advanced Member

United States
    Woah woah wait. SCDS1 rom games can't play wifi aka mario kart 3d, 2p wifi aka Portrait of Ruin???!?!

7. loz_the_guru
    OP

United Kingdom
    Im fairly sure DS to DS WiFi works fine, its just Wii connectivity that the SCDS1 lacks (at least thats what I understand).

Thanks for all the replies guys, thought i'd get slaughtered for this topic so its refreshing to see people with a little patience.

8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    LOL [​IMG]
    It's because you asked it nicely and polite, else you would be slaughtered [​IMG]

9. lurbi

Member lurbi GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    They were forced to by team cyclops.
    Do not be so hasty, when using words like bastards.

10. loz_the_guru
    OP

United Kingdom

Thanks, had you read the thread you'd notice that this has already been pointed out. In addition, you'll also notice this information wasnt available at the time I started the thread, as the email got sent round a day or so later.

To anybody working at DX whose parentage I may have questioned: I apologise profusely for any offense I may have caused, the fault was mine entirely and I shall endeavour to improve my actions in the future.

11. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    i got both cards... and i believe cyclo is a better card. The cyclo is more user friendly and the support team is awesome! There are now only a few features that SC-DS1 has that the cyclo does not have, as they have recently implemented text reader!