Hacking Yet another Cyclo/SCDS1 Thread

loz_the_guru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well if those b*stards at DX hadnt just hiked the price of the cylco up.

Ive searched the forums and read many similar threads, but its got to the point where im just confusing myself.

Basically, I currently own a MK1 R4 and its been fine so far. I also have an EZFlash 3 in 1, which I operate via GBAExploader (although i dont use it much, games which actually utilize the memory/rumble seem few and far between, and the opera browser is plain rubbish). Ive just bought an SDHC card though without realising its not supported by my current card. Therefore im looking at replacing it with either a Cyclo or a SCDS1.

The only real bonus I can see the Cyclo having is the Wii WiFi connectivity. I do own a Wii, but wonder whether many games will use the connectivity feature.

I do change my R4 skin every few months, but its not like I do it on a weekly basis.

As far as I can see, the pro's/con's look like this:

Cyclo:
Pros
WiFi Connectivity
EZFlash management dealt with by the cart itself (Not 100% on this, could someone confirm?)

Cons:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s

SCDS1
Pros:
-$$$$$'s
Ability to run 3 Firmwares (is this actually useful?)
Has the in game text thing (again, actually useful?)

Cons:
No WiFi Connectivity
No EZFlash management dealt with by the cart itself
Skins seem tricky to apply

Are those pretty much correct? If anyones got anything to add that would help me make my mind up, please say. At the moment the price difference just doesnt seem worth it so im leaning towards the SCDS1.

Also, as a P.S, is there any difference between these two:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097
and
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12182

Apart from the price?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, the in-game text thing is coming to the CycloDS, but it's still in beta right now.

And don't forget about the SCDS1's In-game Real Time Cheats, that's a neat feature
smile.gif

I actually use GBA Exploader without too much hassle with my EZ-3-in-1... Still, it would be nice seeing it integrated in the SCDS One menu
tongue.gif

With the latest firmware you can apply skins really easily on the SCDS1, just create a dir, place the skin in it, and then you can select your favourite skin in the SCDS1 menu
tongue.gif

The 3-firmwares-thingy is useful, as sometimes the DSTT Team (or Yasu) actually puts out Firmware updates some days before the SC Team. And the DSTT menu's also a lot easier to use than the standard SCDS One menu, so you might prefer that as it directly puts all the games on the list and boots up faster.

I'm not really sure about the SCDS One WiFi Wii-connectivity thing. I'll try it sometime soon... It should work (theorically) if you disable the patching mode (thus running the game in clean mode) as it should be the same as a retail cart. Still, I'm not sure about this thing.

The SCDS1 menu is Moonshell, so it has BrickMe protection and media capatibilities built-in, but it's a bit slow. It's just a matter to get used though, after a while you don't even notice that
tongue.gif

loz_the_guru said:
Also, as a P.S, is there any difference between these two:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097
and
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12182

Apart from the price?
Yep, the first one runs with the English firmware and the second with the Chinese firmware.
Obviously, unless you know Chinese, get the English one
wink.gif

loz_the_guru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies guys, certainly answered a few questions and its always nice to hear from owners of both cards too.

Ive just watched a few youtube reviews of each cart and the SCDS1 menu system does seem painfully slow, worse than my current R4 infact. Does anyone have an opinion on this, is it something thats liekly to be addressed in a future firmware update, or more likely hardware related? On the other hand the Cyclo menu system does look very very slick (although a blatant Cover Flow rip-off).

Im going to mull it over as i'm not in any rush. Presumably DX is the best place to get a SCDS1, but how about the Cyclo? Im more interested in price than anything else, like I said im in no hurry.

Thanks again!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my investigations, the CycloDS EVO looks to be the absolute BEST slot1 card on the market today. I'd say get that one regardless of price since it will very quickly pay for itself in money saved buying DS games.

GX255

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah woah wait. SCDS1 rom games can't play wifi aka mario kart 3d, 2p wifi aka Portrait of Ruin???!?!

loz_the_guru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im fairly sure DS to DS WiFi works fine, its just Wii connectivity that the SCDS1 lacks (at least thats what I understand).

Thanks for all the replies guys, thought i'd get slaughtered for this topic so its refreshing to see people with a little patience.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
loz_the_guru said:
Im fairly sure DS to DS WiFi works fine, its just Wii connectivity that the SCDS1 lacks (at least thats what I understand).

Thanks for all the replies guys, thought i'd get slaughtered for this topic so its refreshing to see people with a little patience.

LOL
smile.gif

It's because you asked it nicely and polite, else you would be slaughtered
tongue.gif

loz_the_guru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lurbi said:
loz_the_guru said:
Well if those b*stards at DX hadnt just hiked the price of the cylco up.

They were forced to by team cyclops.
Do not be so hasty, when using words like bastards.

Thanks, had you read the thread you'd notice that this has already been pointed out. In addition, you'll also notice this information wasnt available at the time I started the thread, as the email got sent round a day or so later.

To anybody working at DX whose parentage I may have questioned: I apologise profusely for any offense I may have caused, the fault was mine entirely and I shall endeavour to improve my actions in the future.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i got both cards... and i believe cyclo is a better card. The cyclo is more user friendly and the support team is awesome! There are now only a few features that SC-DS1 has that the cyclo does not have, as they have recently implemented text reader!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte