Hacking (Yet another) broken hinge on DS Lite

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Only real reason hinges break is due to the stress of being opened and closed. I've had only on DSL (which I bought when they first came out) I use it for at least 4 hours a day. I probably open and close the thing at least 20 times a day. Hasn't broken yet. It is cracked though.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I've gone through a year of medium playing without anything bad happening to my DS.
Don't know what you mean by number, but my DS's serial number starts with UG7 and is Polar White.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a black DSlite bought the week they came out in America. No broken hinge. I'd say it gets light to moderate use.

It has been dropped exactly twice. Still works perfect....knock on wood.

In fact, everyone I know who has a DSlite has a black one because I told them of the issue with the white ones and they way they tend to develop a cracked hinge. None of them have broken hinges.

I recommend just getting a black one (or some other color besides white) if you're forced to replace it again.

The white ones are apparently made of a more brittle plastic composition.

recover

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My DSL white is cracked
frown.gif

It looks almost exactly like this one, the only difference is that my left hinge isn't broken.
I bought my DSL online at an auction (which at the time, seemed like a reasonably good choice), but it turns out I didn't get any kind of receipt and now when it broke I don't know what I should do to get it repaired.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Are there any way I can get Nintendo to repair it? How much do you think they'll charge?
Help would be appreciated!
biggrin.gif

Kachoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My DSL white is cracked
frown.gif

It looks almost exactly like this one, the only difference is that my left hinge isn't broken.
I bought my DSL online at an auction (which at the time, seemed like a reasonably good choice), but it turns out I didn't get any kind of receipt and now when it broke I don't know what I should do to get it repaired.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Are there any way I can get Nintendo to repair it? How much do you think they'll charge?
Help would be appreciated!
biggrin.gif

omg mine just did that yesterday, the left hinge is cracked but it isnt broken like the picture, but the right corner thing broke!
the ds works and all but its hard to play cuz the top screen wont stay up haha.
i have the same question aswell, and would like to know if nintendo repairs it for free or cheap if my ds is out of warranty.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess someone is being too rough with it. I've had mine since it popped up, not a crack or worse to it...moderate use overall, go through heavy spurts, and for a good stretch was a permanent pocket buddy wherever I went so it has seen it's share of bumps and rubs.

NotAgOat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mines been cracked for awhile now, I called Nintendo and they said they would charge me for it to get fixed so I didn't do it. I wish I had a new one...

KeitaroBaka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
Mines been cracked for awhile now. I called Nintendo and they said they would charge me for it to get fixed so I didn't do it. I wish I had a new one...

They wanted to charge me too when I wanted it to be repaired. But for the same price I prefered buying a Shock! case. I'll see if it's stronger on the hinge.
yaynds.gif

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've got 3 DS 1Phat 2 Lite (both white..)
the path one i've had since launch and its still working perfect (except 1 small scratch on the touchscreen)
my first DS Lite which i bought on the launch as well, broke for me in the beginning of august (left hinge cracked/gone so the screen was loose..)
i would take it for repair if i hadn't opened it up 1month before to fix my L-button on it which was broke (and i fixed the button..) so because i fixed my DS i "broke" it >_<
well, now im on my 2nd Lite and i I've begun worrying about it because it feels a bit.. different when you open it.
the screens also got a bit yellowish colour to it..(i know about newer DS having these screens..) and the touchscreen is a bit of >_< (enough for E.G if you type on the virtual keyboard in Opera if you hit "D" it hits "S" instead.. REALLY irretating, and no it's not calibrate-able)
thinking of replacing it.. but don't really know what to say..

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a gold DS Lite which I got on launch day (Black Friday) and my serial begins with UG4. I play mine heavily (about 5-6 hours a day, sometimes more) but I baby it and when I set it down I ALWAYS set it back down in it's padded case. I've noticed the hinge has two positions which it locks in to place at, one is the slightly titled (I prefer this one) and the other is a flat, almost perfect 90 degree angle. There was one time when I accidentally knocked the screen a bit hard but since I was in the first locking position it just clicked into the second position. I think if it weren't for that it might have caused the hinge to crack. This does seem like a design better suited for older kids and adults in terms of durability, the fat DS however seems like a tank.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
For some reason, all Nintendo's hardware is very, very strong. Hell, we've seen Wiimotes breaking TVs and making holes in walls. But they barely got scratched! The same could be said for Game Boys and the original Nintendo DS (appropriatelly nicknamed 'Tank'). However, it doesn't seem to be the case with Nintendo DS Lite.

That being said, I own my third DS Lite now, but the hinges on previous two never broke (and yes, they were white), they did get scratched though. So *knockwood*.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool