Yet another ban survey -- have you ever opened the eShop?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Zolexic, May 28, 2017.

1. Zolexic
    OP

Zolexic Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2016
    Canada
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...hf_rbYdTCTQ4iPiwuKBskwwA/viewform?usp=sf_link

We know that opening the official eShop checks your list of installed content, and so far I haven't seen anyone asking this question on here or 3dshacks, though I may have missed it. I've been very blatant with my 3dshacking and thus far am not banned -- my 'favorite title' is FBI and I play fe:fates online even though I'm using an NTR hack for gay relationships. I don't have an NNID and have never opened the eShop, so I figured collecting data on this from everyone else could be useful.

2. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I may not be banned yet, but I'm sure they have my name on a platter where my head should be. They just didn't take my head yet

3. Zolexic
    OP

Zolexic Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2016
    Canada
    bumping for more data please

4. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Nov 1, 2016
    Germany
    donut piss wasteland
    I don't think that entering the eShop or not is relevant tbh
    I think it's more likely that they just check for unknown titles on the console itself.

The poll results seem rather inconsistent..

5. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2008
    I'm using B9S+Luma > Emunand + injected homebrew to H&S+Nintendo Zone+Download Play (+3dsx) + some CIAs + eShop purchased titles. Never ever turned spot, streetpass or any notification off. Have not banned yet since 2015, all my activities from 2015 to 2017 still there, included ancient homebrew :D

Only online using legit cartridges, that might be why I'm still riding on the wave.

Last edited by thaikhoa, May 29, 2017
  6. Funkentanz

Funkentanz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hmm interesting...
    I bought my N3DS last September new, never linked a NNID to it, installed A9LH immediately and installed B9S on Day 1.
    I never entered the eShop, I have disabled sending Data to Nintendo ever since. I always have WiFi and Spotpass OFF to safe battery life. Just turn it ON, if I have something to do online and turn it OFF again. I am not banned.

7. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    I use the eShop frequently because I am one of the few people on this website that actually buy games to support the creators. Also, I like demos. :lol:
    Old Nintendo 2DS 11.4.0-37U with Spotpass info sharing with data sending to Nintendo and title sharing on Friends List enabled.
    Luma 3DS on boot9strap
    Never used freeShop.
    Frequently play online.
    Not banned.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Besides, people use the eShop for piracy. From what I understand, they run a program called tikShop and then just pirate apps freely DIRECTLY FROM THE eShop. That wouldn't be it. Perhaps Nintendo just likes using the /ban command.

Last edited by sks316, May 29, 2017
  8. JerryShaw

JerryShaw GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    Switzerland
    B9S + latest LUMA + lots HB CIAs, cross region online play, show playing titles in friend list, share information to Ninty ON, etc. All settings were turned off when I saw the ban in the forum. But yes, I never opened eShop and still alive.

9. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    freeshop, ciangel, fbi, hbc, star updater, a9lh, spotpass off, have played countless non legit cias online and off, friend list title sharing off, have entered eshop many, many times. Not banned.

Gee. I wonder where I've seen that said before. I wonder if it could have anything to do with people giving inconsistent answers on said polls. How else do they end up with inconsistent results? Not going to start anything with you, all has been said and done already, but I told you so. ;)

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, May 29, 2017
  10. LeoIeiri

LeoIeiri GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2017
    Tokyo
    I never open eShop because I lost mii streetpass place and I have ban because I dont know really :P

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I have hacked the eShop (thanks to the noSSL patch), not banned

12. Zolexic
    OP

Zolexic Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2016
    Canada
    there's not enough responses yet to confirm anything or even to average over the outlier responses, but there at least seems to be a trend shown that its pretty rare to be getting banned if you've never opened the eShop with unofficial content.

I should have added subquestions about if you've got spotpass data sharing turned on so we could see the correlation between the two, but I guess it's too late now.

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Pretty sure eShop use is irrelevant. I use it constantly and haven't been banned.

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I have opened the eShop, but only before installing anything pirated. I heard you need to open it at least once for something to work right.