Yellow top screen wierdness on DSL

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 123kid, Feb 24, 2007.

Feb 24, 2007
  1. 123kid
    OP

Newcomer 123kid Member

Sweden
    My DSL's top screen recently took a turn for the yellow as can be seen in this screen.
    [​IMG]
    (click for bigger image)

The weird thing is when a game fades the screen in and out there is no yellow at all (or for example in Phoenix Wright in Examine mode when the top screen is dimmed a bit), it's only when the screen is fully lit that the yellow effect can be seen (which sadly is most of the time). I tried opening up the DS to make sure the top screen connector was properly attached and no dust was in the way but to no avail.

Is there anything that can be done except for sending this DS to the graveyard?

2. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Send it to Nintendo?

- Sam

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    That would be wise. Is there a Nintendo branch responsible for Sweden (I think - my limited knowledge of world flags :S )

4. 123kid
    OP

Newcomer 123kid Member

Sweden
    There is a Nintedo branch in Sweden, the problem though is I'm worried that since I don't have any guarantee (I bought it used) it would cost me almost as much as buying a new one instead.

5. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Hey, just send a mail to Bergsala, and ask them...
    I mean... Since it looks like a defective ds...... or something,...

6. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    does it happen only in that rom, only on that screen?

7. 123kid
    OP

Newcomer 123kid Member

Sweden
    Unfortunately it's everywhere all the time (except quickly when the screen fades in some games), I only used this example because the screens used the same image.

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Wild theory time: could it be that some of the liquid crystals in the screen have leaked, giving the "big splodge" pattern? (I'm just guessing, does anyone know anything about LCD screens are designed?)

9. 123kid
    OP

Newcomer 123kid Member

Sweden
    It's more like a yellow filter which affects light areas (which I guess is why it doesn't appear when the screen fades in and out of scenes), another example here in Hotel Dusk with much white:
    [​IMG]

But I take it there isn't much more I can do by myself, so my best chance would be to contact Nintendo and have them look at it.

10. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    the worst ds screen i have seen [​IMG] hope you get it sorted out. did you drop it or anything.

11. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    There are some version of DS lites where the touchscreen is has a yellow tint due to the screen filter used by nintendo. It happened to me and I just returned it for a white-white one. I think this is a different problem though, as it looks like the white pixel color has been replaced by yellow, definitely a faulty screen itself.

12. betaboy

Member betaboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I guess if you contact Nintendo and explain the fault, you have nothing to lose. They probably won't ask for proof of purchase. After all, not everybody retains their receipt (maybe it was a Christmas present!)
    If it's less than a year old, maybe you could register it on the Nintendo Europe website and report it faulty in a months time. [​IMG]
    I don't think any of these things break the law! (Maybe someone could ask Phoenix Wright to check!)

13. 123kid
    OP

Newcomer 123kid Member

Sweden
    [​IMG]

Yeah it looks like my best chance would be to contact Nintendo. Thank you for your help everyone!