Year-old 360 has been getting a TON of disk read errors lately...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Hachibei, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Hachibei
    OP

Member Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Okay, so, I've owned my 360 for exactly 1 year now, and lately it's been getting a ridiculous amount of disk read errors ("The disk could not be read, please clean the disk, blah blah blah..."), even though all of my game disks are practically flawless. I tried installing games to the HD, but apparently my 360 can't last 10 whole minutes of rigorous disk reading action. What options do I have at this point? Should I just suck it up and bear with it? At this point, I'm willing to open it up to tinker around in it, even though it'll cost me that additional 2 years of RROD protection. But, if I open it up for this annoying problem, then I could just open it up again if/when I get the RROD.

So, any advice? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to modding consoles and stuff like that.

2. Blue Zoidberg

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds like your DVD drive's lens is out of whack or dirty.
    Try cleaning it and if it's still under warranty send it back.

3. Hachibei
    OP

Canada
    I thought it had something to do with that, something similar happened to my PS2. How would I clean it without taking it apart?

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    compressed air ?

maybe its the dust in the 360 itself that's also contributing to the problem.

5. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Buy a disk cleaning thing at target or gamestop. I know its hard work hopefully you can pass the horrible road *echo effect * road road

6. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Sometimes my 360 reads discs as DVDs and it gets annoying as they won't boot. I have two options:
    -Eject the disc tray and close it until it recognises it as a game/ turn it off/on likewise.
    -Break out the old cd with bristles on to clean the lense.

Sometimes I don't have a problem with it I just eject it and close it and it works fine. Half the time it works immediately.
    But the brush cd always always fixes it first time.

I think my solution can fix your problem too.

7. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    I had a problem recently with an old Sega Saturn that wouldn't read disks and kept locking up during the bootup screen sequence.

Can of compressed air sorted that baby out - was caused by dust under the circuit boards.

Might be worth a try if you decide to crack open your 360..........

8. Hachibei
    OP

Canada
    This happens to me occasionally too, it's kinda weird how it tells you to put the disk in a 360 for it to work, rofl.

I remember having a drive cleaner somewhere around my house, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Well, the drive cleaner explicitly stated NOT to use it with any gaming consoles, so I tried something else: changing the orientation of the machine from vertical to horizontal. I think it worked, because I just finished a 6-ish hour session of Star Ocean with no issues.