Yay, finally getting new broadband...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Feb 9, 2007.

Feb 9, 2007
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I've been stuck with AOL for over 4 years since that was the ISP my dad chose since he's paying the bill. It took me a while to know that as long as I just use Firefox, I can take advantage of their unlimited download. But what I didn't like is their tech support and the fact that I'm stuck on 1mb and AOL won't upgrade to anything faster. I think the last straw for my dad was when he realised he was paying WAY more and that 2mb was cheaper.... so now I can finally get the chance to say, "Up yours AOL"

Now what's the recommended broadband provider in the UK? I know that Virgin set up a new broadband service but since it's new, I'm not sure if there are problems with it.

Oh and unlimited download is a must.

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Ask me a week ago and Id've said cable broadband from Telewest Blueyonder. But this new "virgin" one you talk of is the result of Telewest, NTL and some other company I've forgotten the name of merging and re-branding their broadband products under the name "Virgin Media".

Blueyonder used to be a brilliant ISP, I really hope that doesn't change now *prays*

We were with Plusnet at uni and they were beyond rubbish. The connection was often down or slow as hell, and they changed the "fair use policy" 4 times that year. (some ISP's claim to be unlimited, but if you read the T+C's they penalise you for going over certain traffic figures. They're sneaky like that)

[Edit] http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ (aka ADSLguide) is a good place to look for info on UK ISP's