Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In response to @Half-Stories request (sort of):

New Super Mario Bros. and Newer Super Mario Bros. DS

View attachment 307780 View attachment 307781

Not particularly colorful or anything but those are the logos after all, I hope you like them ^_^

For the sounds in both cases I used a piece of their respective intro, for New Super Mario Bros. from toward the beginning and for Newer Super Mario Bros. DS the part at the end (in this case from their official soundtrack)
Did i say thanks before? I probably didn't but thanks.

(For context, i become sick after the post. Funnily enough, i am actually writing this while sick again but i'm feeling a bit better.)

Reactions: Yrouel

Yrouel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would definetly really love one for CTGP NITRO (Also called CTGP DS or CTGP KART DS).
Would also love one for Yoshi's Island DS.
I don't really care much about the sound but i think a "Yahoo!" or "Vroom-Vroom" would be nice for CTGP
And for Yoshi's Island DS a "Yoshi!" From Yoshi. I don't really care about the sound, again. It could be anything.

Uploading rom hacks to the repository is a bit of a problem because they use the same ID of the original game so the generator can't distinguish them so you'd have to do it manually.
I'll be opening a PR for Yoshi's Island though.

AYW.png
AYWJ.png

ctgpnitro.png

Attachments

• AYW.zip
    172.8 KB · Views: 55
  • AYWJ.zip
    176.3 KB · Views: 49
  • CTGP_NITRO.zip
    305.5 KB · Views: 57

ParanoidBetazoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Could you make banners for the Japanese versions of Front Mission 1st, Front Mission 2089, Infinite Space, Phantasy Star 0 and Rockman Zero Collection? Only if you have the time. And thanks for offering at all.

Yrouel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Front Mission 1st, Front Mission 2089, Infinite Space, Phantasy Star 0 and Rockman Zero Collection

There you go:

I couldn't find a suitable sound for Phantasy Star 0 (if you have suggestions regarding sounds for any let me know)

AFOJ.png

YFLJ.png

C6C.png
C6CJ.png

C24.png

B6Z.png
B6ZJ.png

Attachments

• B6ZJ.zip
    452.6 KB · Views: 42
  • C24.zip
    42.6 KB · Views: 46
  • C6CJ.zip
    302.1 KB · Views: 48
  • C6C.zip
    315.6 KB · Views: 45
  • YFLJ.zip
    506.8 KB · Views: 43
  • B6Z.zip
    450.4 KB · Views: 41
  • AFOJ.zip
    298.1 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: ParanoidBetazoid

ParanoidBetazoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

Yrouel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow thanks so much! As for sound effects for Phantasy Star 0: if it's possible to get the sound file, the confirm sound effect for the main menu might work.

I can't find a dump of the Phantasy Star 0 sound effects but I think I found the same sound from Phantasy Star Online and it's only slightly different.
Let me know is it's ok.

By the way all the custom banners I posted so far are in the repository which means YANBF will pick them up automatically, no need to pass the files manually when you make a forwarder.

Attachments

• C24.zip
    63 KB · Views: 39

Yrouel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The sound effect works. Thank you so much. Also is there anyway you could make one for the japanese version of dragon quest 6?

Here you go:

EDIT: These are in the repository now, so again it means YANBF will pick them up automatically

YVIJ.png
YVI.png

Attachments

• YVI.zip
    494.7 KB · Views: 48
  • YVIJ.zip
    488.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by Yrouel,

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing this thread has made me consider the possibility of logo PNGs. My initial goal with banner art was to make custom ones, I picture the Pokémon Whites logo text on the left with Zekrom on the right. If I do choose custom banners, I see myself making a template PSD file so there's standardisation across the banners. I'll definitely be using logos, so I want to find a way to pair my work creating assets here.

Alongside NDS banners, I'm also going to be working on custom NSUI injects because I have a grouped games in the order, I intend to install them on my n2ds, so I don't have to rearrange them later (slightly unnecessary but I'm meticulous). Relevance being my progress will fluctuate depending on where I am on my list. I will share the list once I have a solid plan. If people want me to prioritise certain games from my list, I can and for reference I plan to make 182 DS banners and about 150 NSUI injects.

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I finished gathering game logos for forwarders and compiled a list merging the current assets on GitHub + the games I am making forwards for and placed them in a spreadsheet here. I added the GitHub asset reference so it's easier to navigate and find what you want i.e., CPU is for Pokémon Platinum. We currently have 119 assets on GitHub which I think is pretty cool and a testament to the work of everyone here.

With the game logos I've got saved I will need to crop them to size (256x128). Some need to be edited to make them PNGs because I couldn't find PNG logos online and in some cases, no logo at all. So, I had to try screenshotting through DeSmuMe and removing layers, trying Tinke or crying knowing I have to edit logos from boxart. I think this will be the most time-consuming step and others I plan to modify like the Spectrobes Beyond the Portal as the edges feel too abrupt.

Spectrobes beyond the portals.png

I mentioned previous wanting to experiment with custom banners vs logos and have reached a middle ground. For the most part, I plan to use logos for the forwarders. I will touch up most adding shadows and such to create more depth to the image. And where possible add extra graphics. I made a quick mock up for Digimon World Dawn, empathsis on quick mock up because the gradient isn't perfect, and the shadow got cropped on the right edge.

HNI_0003.JPG

I'll pretend audio doesn't exist for now, one step at a time.

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a PSD file set up now with all the logos and for the most part have cropped them all to size and removed backgrounds. I'm quite happy with the extra depth gained from shadows, bevelling but the outer glow on the Avatar banner could be revised. I plan and work in bulk so this time next week, if all is well, I'll be dropping a lot of banner PNGs and maybe with audio if I have time. I'm excited for certain banners because making these has brought back some nostalgia.

Test forwarders.png

Post automatically merged:

In hindsight the spreadsheet I made isn't as practical for me in the short term because I paired my list with the GitHub list. So, tracking my progress with it looks a little messy but I also don't want to edit the sheet, so the green coloured cells are the games I've done at the moment.

Wasn't planning on working on banners today at least not until later but I'm off sick so I've got extra time to use. I think I'll periodically post progress here because I'm proud of certain things I've done but people here only see the end results. In the picture below, the left column is the original banner, the middle is with some effects and the right is bringing the text out. I'll tidy the shadow on the final DQ4 later now I've noticed it. Also, the castle on the DQ4 logo were shortened so that the main text is relatively the same size as the other DQ banners I've edited.

Forward progressions.png

Also, since starting this project, I've learnt more about certain games like Contact. I never realised it was made by Atlus because 10-year-old me saw RPG and was like cool a rocket launcher. The boxart has two variants and I'm not sure what region is what but we've got one where the game is called Contoct or at least it looks that way.

1667826606866.png

Last edited by Nomu,

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm like 90% done, I've updated my spreadsheet here. I'll share what I have tomorrow and export the banners against black and white backgrounds to check visibility. When I started I was like black shadows look good and they do but only against a light theme.

I can share my Spectrobes edit, cleaned it up and might do more with it but very happy.

IMG_20221109_110300.jpg

IMG_20221109_110243.jpg

P.s. Spectrobes is worth playing.

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm like 99% done with banners, I know at some point I'll make one more but that's because I need an even number of games to complete my planned layout on my home screen. I dropped one game so yeah: 99% done technically speaking. I went back and edited banners with black shadows replacing them with colour so there is better visibility against light and dark backgrounds. Again, I've updated the spreadsheet here, once everything is on GitHub, I can remove the green and things will make more sense. Will be getting audio files prepped over the weekend and once done, I'll share everything.

Below you can see a showcase of all the banners I've made. Note some overlapped the boundaries of the checked background. This was unintended just know the exported files are the correct size. I didn't see the point in making amendments when the image below is for show, so it matters less.

DS Banner Showcase.png

Of course, I'll use this space to talk about certain banners I'm really happy with:
-Brain Training 1+2 - The games don't really have a logo per say so giving them depth made me happy.
-Contact - Mentioned above very nostalgic, made two banner designs using both text logos and sprites.
-Dementium - Still have mixed feelings about it, again another text logo just difficult to work with in places.
-DQM Joker - It was very tempting to use the existing banner art, but I opted to replicate the colours of the text from the box art.
-Etrian Odyssey 3 - I actually used the logo from Etrian 2 and modified it since it had a better resolution and copied 3's Drowned city text over.
-Etrian Odssey 1 - Also used Etrian 2's logo.
-Exit DS - Really happy turning it into a exit sign with depth.
-MechAssault Phantom Wars - Had to crop the logo from the box art and it was too messy to remove the background completely, so I just coloured it and blended it with shadows and glows.
-Mystery/Touch Detective banners - Bevelled the text and hands giving them a cool sense of depth.
-Neon Genesis Evangelion - Made an alternative banner taking inspiration from the PS2 game.
-Project Rub - I actually had to redraw the woman in places to separate her from the background and text to create a better sense of depth. Made two logos, one is more PG in case preferred/needed.
-Soul Eater Medusa's Plot - Made two variations, the second more true to the boxart.
-Scurge - Subtle depth goes a long way.
-Sonic Rush Adventure - Bevelled the compass which added an extra level of depth.
-Transformers logos - I actually used a text generator to make the logo and then bevelled + glow.

• Love
Reactions: champsblinder02

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been a while since I posted here, just wanted to give a quick update about my progress. I was sure that I was 99% done and shifted my focus into custom NSUI banners and home screen icons for approximately 150 games. The reason being for this was I am planning to start and finish my 2ds hack in one sitting for personal satisfaction. This also meant that until all the DS banners are complete, I won't be uploading anything. After I had finished the NSUI stuff, I cross-referenced my list and realised I had missed a couple hours of extra work.

From the 1st until the 17th of November, I had dedicated all my free time between work on this and ended up burning myself out. I picked things back up today and spent the last three hours organising the DS banners into folders with their audio files. I'm missing approximately 7 banners. Once I have those, I will use YANBF make the forwarder cias add them to my other 3ds to check everything is as it should be. I want to give myself a day to finish it which should happen this weekend.

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Working on such a large scale has its drawbacks, I was using YANBF GUI yesterday and when I removed one game, and it undid half the files for 90 games. And I wasn't prepared to try again, and it be the last things I did before I slept.

And today, I got an error when generating the cia forwarders:

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 174, in _new_conn

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\connection.py", line 95, in create_connection
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\connection.py", line 85, in create_connection
ConnectionRefusedError: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 703, in urlopen
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 386, in _make_request
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 1040, in _validate_conn
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 358, in connect
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 186, in _new_conn
urllib3.exceptions.NewConnectionError: <urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000026225EE98D0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\adapters.py", line 440, in send
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 785, in urlopen
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\retry.py", line 592, in increment
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='yanbf.api.hansol.ca', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /banner/BGMP (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000026225EE98D0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it'))

File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 113, in run
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 15, in run
File "generator.py", line 92, in <module>
File "D:\a\YANBF\YANBF\YANBF\generator\core.py", line 221, in downloadfromapi
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 75, in get

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 61, in request
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 529, in request
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 645, in send
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\adapters.py", line 519, in send
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='yanbf.api.hansol.ca', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /banner/BGMP (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000026225EE98D0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it'))

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): Extracting and resizing icon...
Getting ROM titles...
Creating SMDH...
Checking API if a custom banner or sound is provided...

Can anyone help with this?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Working on such a large scale has its drawbacks, I was using YANBF GUI yesterday and when I removed one game, and it undid half the files for 90 games. And I wasn't prepared to try again, and it be the last things I did before I slept.

And today, I got an error when generating the cia forwarders:

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 174, in _new_conn

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\connection.py", line 95, in create_connection
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\connection.py", line 85, in create_connection
ConnectionRefusedError: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 703, in urlopen
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 386, in _make_request
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 1040, in _validate_conn
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 358, in connect
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 186, in _new_conn
urllib3.exceptions.NewConnectionError: <urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000026225EE98D0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\adapters.py", line 440, in send
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 785, in urlopen
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\retry.py", line 592, in increment
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='yanbf.api.hansol.ca', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /banner/BGMP (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000026225EE98D0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it'))

File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 113, in run
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 15, in run
File "generator.py", line 92, in <module>
File "D:\a\YANBF\YANBF\YANBF\generator\core.py", line 221, in downloadfromapi
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 75, in get

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 61, in request
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 529, in request
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 645, in send
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.10.4\x64\lib\site-packages\requests\adapters.py", line 519, in send
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='yanbf.api.hansol.ca', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /banner/BGMP (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000026225EE98D0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it'))

Mon Nov 28 2022 21:06:40 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time): Extracting and resizing icon...
Getting ROM titles...
Creating SMDH...
Checking API if a custom banner or sound is provided...

Can anyone help with this?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-yet...are-now-possible.606138/page-24#post-10011047 Probably be best to check this out.

Reactions: Nomu

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bannertool and makerom is what you need if you want to make it manually. bannertool requires a bnr file from a png as well as audio through wave, and you need an icn made from a png. then, you're ready to make the rom through makerom. it will create a cia for you iirc.
Post automatically merged:

I forgot to mention that you'd need an elf for makerom. I don't know beyond that.

Reactions: Nomu and SylverReZ

Nomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This hopefully will be my last major update, but I got everything to work and tested them on my 3ds. The sheer scale of this project meant that finalising and checking everything worked as intended took a significant amount of time.

Thanks for the advice above @godreborn and @lone_wolf323. Having gotten this far into things to be greeted with an error which meant nothing to me was a real scare, I honestly don't know what my plan would have been to fix things. In the end though I updated YANBF and redid the set up and noticed I had deleted the bootstrap.cia and the generator directory had changed.

Special thanks to @Yrouel for making this thread and for some of the wavs you added to the GitHub Repo. Likewise, Astuary-King (GitHub name) & @lifehackerhansol for your GitHub contributions.

7th Dragon - Astuary-King
Big Brain Acad - Darthagnon
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia - Astuary-King & lifehackerhansol
Cooking Mama 3 - Astuary-King
Digimon Dusk - Astuary-King
DQ Heroes Rocket Slime -Astuary-King
DQ4 - Yrouel
DQ5 - Yrouel
DQ6 - Yrouel
DQ9 - Yrouel
DQMJ1 - Astuary-King
DQMJ2 - Astuary-King
Fossil Fighter - Astuary-King
MKDS - Yrouel
Metroid Prime Hunters - Astuary-King
N+ - Astuary-King
Phantasy Star 0 - Yrouel
Pokemon B/W - Yrouel
Pokemon B2/B2 - Yrouel
Pokemon D/P/Pl - Yrouel
Pokemon HH/SS - Yrouel
Pokemon Ranger / Guardian Signs / Shadow Almia - Astuary-King
Pokemon Conquest - Astuary-King
Scurge Hive- Astuary-King & lifehackerhansol
Yoshi Island DS - Yrouel

This ultimately took longer than expected but I'm happy to finally share everything - here. If someone is able to facilitate a pull request that would be much appreciated.

And for those still reading, I want to take a moment to explain some finer details about the files shared. Certain games, like FMA Dual Sympathy and Touch/Mystery Detective ended up getting regional banner variants. This only really happened because I had the images for different regions which explains why a few games have regional variants and not most. FF4 also has two images one is from the DS cover, the other I assume is a different platform / general logo.

If you are looking for a specific game you may find that Zelda games could be under Z, L or T depending on whether I shortened the folder name to Legend of Zelda, just Zelda or included the at the start. I know Spyro is under S as I skipped the legend of in the title. And some Mario games start with Super. With all the planning I done, the file naming is where I cut corners. You will find the wav files have very shorthand names and this is how I ended up referring to games on paper when planning. And as much as I considered maybe fixing things, small tedious tasks can flare up the pains I get in my right hand, so I chose to not. I don't think it matters too much but I wanted to mention it here, in case people have issues.

Speaking of audio, I tried ripping everything myself where possible. I haven't played most of the games so the selected sounds might not be optimal / nostalgic for everyone. I did run games in an emulator briefly to get an idea of what could work. Some sounds were nerfed because they wouldn't play on my 3ds and for my own sanity, there's only so many times I can edit a sound, build a forwarder and check.

Hopefully last, in the folder you will find a separate audio folder with everything used. For the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney games, they all used the same sound. For Pokémon HG & SS I chose to use the bell chime instead of the Pokémon cry, so again the same file. The cry can be found on GitHub. The main reason this separate folder exists is because YANBF needed the audio files to be its folder (or I at least I think so) and to save myself clicking into each individual game folders and risk flaring my pains I copied the audio and have left it there as an option if people need.

P.s. if anyone has issues with the files, do let me know and I will help fix them.

Edit - used spoiler option to hide bulk text so post is easier to read

Last edited by Nomu,

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Created new titles and wavs files for the games:

GTA Chinatown Wars
Peggle Dual Shot
Kirby Mass Attack