XPA-* roms and .sav / .SAV file

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by tomrev, Jul 16, 2010.

Jul 16, 2010

XPA-* roms and .sav / .SAV file by tomrev at 12:45 PM (1,590 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

  1. tomrev
    OP

    Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2009
    Messages:
    321
    Country:
    United States
    There are some ROMs in my flashcard that have savefile's extension in uppercase format (.SAV) instead of usually lower case (.sav). I noticed that most ROMs dump that have XPA at the start almost have extension like that. What's the matter of this? Why it should be different save extension case?

    note: For someone that have problem with change rom from cracked to cleaned rom like DQ9, your rom save file extension is uppercase... change it to lower case will fix it.


    Edit: After searching with keyword "uppercase", I found the cause of this case

    from tk_saturn at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=240401&hl=


    I confirmed that this problem still occured in AKAIO 1.7.1 because XPA-* roms that I mentioned have 8 characters lenght like tk_saturn addressed. Also other roms in my memory card that filename have below 8 characters always have uppercase save file extension. I tested to recreate save file in AKAIO 1.7.1 but it will always generate the uppercase save file extension for below 8 characters files. This problem will lead users to have problem when rename save filename from below 8 characters file to more than 8 characters file but not change save file extension to lowercase.
     
  2. Fat D

    Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1,117
    Country:
    Germany
    Xenophobia (or short XPA) generally use filenames shorter than 8 characters, like the ones really old FAT filesystems use, so they are given the MS-DOS treatment.
     
  3. Bri

    Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2007
    Messages:
    3,413
    Country:
    United States
    So is this a bug with AKAIO or is it something that has to do with the file system and can't be fixed? I ran into it myself with "Dirt 2". I believe it only affects games with names shorter than 8 characters which ALSO have a space in the name. So it can be fixed by removing the space or lengthening the file name. But it seems like something that should be automatically corrected in the firmware.

    -Bri
     
  4. tk_saturn

    Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    Messages:
    3,327
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Shouldn't be the case. The 8.3 file system doesn't allow spaces in the filename, so a Long filename will already be used for them.

    For example echo xxx > "x x".txt resulted in a file which has the following associated with it:
    SFN:XXEF3F~1.TXT LFN:x x.txt
     
  5. Bri

    Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2007
    Messages:
    3,413
    Country:
    United States
    I can confirm that "DiRT 2.nds" creates an incorrect save file with AKAIO 1.7.1.

    I recall that this is also a problem with the DSTT affecting only files that have fewer than 8 characters and at least one space in the file name. The solution on the DSTT is to change the space to an underscore or to lengthen the filename, so I wonder if these particular criteria also cause problems with AKAIO.

    -Bri
     
  6. tk_saturn

    Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    Messages:
    3,327
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    If it bothers you, you could try switching the space for an 'ALT255' non break space. Used to be all the rage years ago. I know you used to be able to have NBSP in MSDOS filenames, as people used to use it for fun.

    Logically, if it effects AKAIO it's likely to effect Wood. If it does, you could probably browse the Wood source to see if there's an mention in there. I'm sure I saw something about SFN's in there.
     
  7. Bri

    Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2007
    Messages:
    3,413
    Country:
    United States
    I'ts not difficult to change the file name of the file on the microSD card, although I use an automatic renamer along with RToolDS to process and copy files to my flash drive and renaming the file on the microSD card breaks the automatic save file backups.

    Mostly it's annoying and probably pretty confusing to newbies when their game doesn't save correctly.

    I was wondering if it's something that could potentially be fixed in the firmware (in which case it might be considered a bug) or if it's something having to do with the file system that can't be fixed.

    -Bri
     

Share This Page