XP
Country
United States
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2302495,00.asp

0,1425,i=209755,00.jpg

0,1425,i=209757,00.jpg

0,1425,i=209756,00.jpg

More benchmarks at the link.

It seem that Vista's efficiency is now equal or greater than XP's.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft has been getting hit by endless complaints for XP3, seems like after installing it, alot of people have been experiencing problems. Some of which corrupted their hard drive, they can't boot up their computer anymore, Windows simply fail to work and so on. Go Microsoft!

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
fischju said:
See: PCMark05

That wouldn't be because Vista cache's your most used applications on startup would it........... That would speed up the artificial testing of PC Mark just a tad
wink.gif

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dack said:
fischju said:
See: PCMark05

That wouldn't be because Vista cache's your most used applications on startup would it........... That would speed up the artificial testing of PC Mark just a tad
wink.gif

Nope

arctic_flame said:
QUOTE(fischju @ May 13 2008, 01:57 AM)
It seem that Vista's efficiency is now equal or greater than XP's.

Lol. you just posted the fact it needs more RAM and CPU. Therefore it's less efficient.

"I threw together a testbed, deliberately built as an average PC as opposed to the ET Killer Gaming Rig. The specs are as follows:

Component Make/Model

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

Motherboard and chipset ASUS Blitz Formula

Memory Corsair CM2X1024-9136C5D (1142MHz DDR2, 5-5-5-15) 2GB

Hard drive WD6500AAKS

Optical drive Generic DVD RW

Audio SoundBlaster XtremeGamer

Graphics Card AMD/ATI Radeon HD 3870

I installed Windows XP Professional onto one hard drive, and Vista Home Premium onto a second, identical one. The two operating systems never touched each other; I physically switched the cable when moving from one to the other."

Try reading the article next time

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of performance, I still think Vista is silly. They've changed the layout of much of the system, and haven't added much from the end-user perspective. (Ph, sorry, you can "pimp" the interface.) The only reason I'd recommend Windows to anybody is because most people are familiar with it, and refuse to learn anything new like Ubuntu or Mac OS. Since Vista changed quite a bit, I think it defeats the advantage of having Windows.

Demi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
Microsoft has been getting hit by endless complaints for XP3, seems like after installing it, alot of people have been experiencing problems. Some of which corrupted their hard drive, they can't boot up their computer anymore, Windows simply fail to work and so on. Go Microsoft!

Anecdotal... I installed SP3 last night, posting right now on it

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Ive just got Vista SP1. And WOW i really got improvement in FPS while playing games like Team Fortress 2!
My 8800GT now makes 200FPS on all highest on TF2 instead of crappy 125FPS.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
superrob said:
Ive just got Vista SP1. And WOW i really got improvement in FPS while playing games like Team Fortress 2!
My 8800GT now makes 200FPS on all highest on TF2 instead of crappy 125FPS.
You do realize that human eyes can't tell the difference after 60fps?
Even the sharpest human eyes can only see up to 100fps.
Even then, your monitor capabilities will limit it

QUOTE(awdofgum @ May 13 2008, 01:38 PM) Does anyone know where to download XP SP3 standalone installer?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, there are a few new features and services which aren't bad in Vista, it looks better and sure, that's going to cause it to perform less well, but if all programs , drivers etc had compatibility with Windows 95, why would anyone upgrade?

On another hand, the benchmark tests aren't "real world scenario" tests.

Tir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Westside said:
You do realize that human eyes can't tell the difference after 60fps?
Even the sharpest human eyes can only see up to 100fps.
Even then, your monitor capabilities will limit it
I don't think that was the point, heh.

All this Vista hate will die down sooner or later, it's just XP vs 98SE all over again. I know I enjoy the polished GUI that takes advantage of my graphics card, the live search and sound mixer features, among others. It actually felt laggier when I went back to XP, windows tear when you move them around fast etc.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xJonny said:
Actually, there are a few new features and services which aren't bad in Vista, it looks better and sure, that's going to cause it to perform less well, but if all programs , drivers etc had compatibility with Windows 95, why would anyone upgrade?

On another hand, the benchmark tests aren't "real world scenario" tests.

You mean a real time demo for an installed game, like Crysis?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Tir said:
All this Vista hate will die down sooner or later, it's just XP vs 98SE all over again.

Except that 98SE was universally hated for being the buggiest windows ever, and XP was NT-based, and therefore even the first released version of XP was better than 98SE.

Everyone hated 98SE. XP was an improvement.
The Jump from XP to Vista isn't really an improvement. They're both fairly stable, but as it's not a big leap ahead, people don't really see any point in the upgrade if you're not a gamer.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
arctic_flame said:
Tir said:
All this Vista hate will die down sooner or later, it's just XP vs 98SE all over again.

Except that 98SE was universally hated for being the buggiest windows ever, and XP was NT-based, and therefore even the first released version of XP was better than 98SE.

Everyone hated 98SE. XP was an improvement.
The Jump from XP to Vista isn't really an improvement. They're both fairly stable, but as it's not a big leap ahead, people don't really see any point in the upgrade if you're not a gamer.
Windows Me was the buggiest Windows ever, 98Se doesn't even qualify compared to that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: