Xmas might suck for gamers...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Blaze163, Dec 20, 2010.

Dec 20, 2010
  1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho.

Is it just me or does the lineup this Christmas look a little bleak? The only games I've seen being openly advertised this year are Black Ops and Fallout New Vegas. Neither of which I count as Christmas games because anyone who wanted them probably bought them when they were first released. They've both been out for a while now so I don't see how they can be marketed as the big Christmas releases. Meanwhile my local store is massively overhyping Kinect and Move, even though to be fair to them neither has all that many decent games right now, and from what I've seen there's nothing new released for either lately, so again it's not really a Christmas thing. To me the big Christmas seller should be someting new and exciting. If Black Ops was due to be released today or something, then fair enough. But it's been out for some time now. The hype's wearing off.

On the other hand, March 2011 is looking increasingly jizz-in-your-pants fantastic. From what I gather the release schedule for March includes but is by no means limited to:

- Dragon Age 2
    - Dead Space 2
    - Dissidia Duodecim, which I swear I'll sell my family into slavery for.
    - The 3rd Birthday, which I just saw a trailer for that made my crap myself with excitement.
    - LittleBig Planet 2.
    - Possible Resistance 3, Mass Effect 3 and Killzone 3, not sure of the dates for those but March sounds about right.
    - Marvel VS Capcom 3.
    - Test Drive Unlimited 2.
    - Lego Star Wars 3 (my nephew loves them)
    - Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
    - Miles Edgeworth 2, even if it is a Japanese release.

And that's just off the top of my head. Now my question is this: Why are so many great games not ready for the big Christmas launch? Surely Christmas is the best time of year to release new games, especially big sellers like those. All I see on my local shelves right now is overhyped games that have been out for months and a long line of squeaky farts that nobody really cares about. What gives?

Also, totally off topic but why do I now have to press shift and enter to go down one line instead of two? What gives with that? If I press enter by itself my cursor shifts down two lines at once. I don't recall telling it to do that. How do I fix it?

2. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Well the current gen consoles don't have too much life left.
    Anyway all the new games i've seen are crappy.
    It's funny how everyone says the Wii is childish when the XBOX360 does a game where you play dead to a baby tiger [​IMG]

3. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    The Wii is childish, but it makes a shitload of money. Only natural the more 'serious' consoles would eventually jump on the bandwagon. Much as I dislike them doing so, it's just good business. Even if Kinect requires you to have a front room bigger than my entire house to play properly and Move looks like some dubious marital aid.

4. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    I see Donkey Kong Country Returns and Epic Mickey to be the big holiday games for the Wii.

5. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Miles edge worth 2 and the kingdom of hearts game are the games I am realy waiting for the ds.

6. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Oh? Try telling that to Sony who plans to support their PS3 up to 2016.

7. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    At least that gives them plenty of time to release a decent Final Fantasy game on it. Not 13 which damn near completes itself, and 14 which if it's released in a similar state to the PC version it'll be an absolute travesty.

8. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    The Christmas holiday usually never sees big releases. A few reasons being supply, as things go much faster during the Christmas rush, so they have to give people time to buy the games, whether as a gift or not.

March of next year definitely does look epic though. The 3DS launching of course, and all kinds of other awesome games. If only it could come soon enough.

9. ineap09

Member ineap09 GBAtemp Regular

Guyana
    ^ This.

I need to find a way to put myself in a self-induced coma that lasts for three months. Especially since there's nothing to look forward to this Christmas.

10. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the 3DS, if only as a way of celebrating the fact that I have a job for once. It's been many a moon since I paid for a brand new console without first trading in everything I own. I look forward to flashing my cash on launch day when I finally spend all the money I've been saving from my last few paychecks and buy not only the system but all the decent launch titles.

And if there's anything left over after that and Duodecim, I swear I'm buying all the games I mentioned above. Every single one. I'm gonna be poor in April.

11. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I'm not even excited for the 3DS. Seems like a waste to me right now... and no, I'm not trolling.

12. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    March will indeed due to 3DS. 2011 in general because of Duke Nukem Forever, yeaaaaaaaah!

13. Alex658

Member Alex658 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Venezuela
    Kingdom Hearts Re:coded will be released in January 11th 2011 (USA) and January 14th 2011 (Europe) not in march..

But I do get your point..

Developers/game companies should definitely take advantage of the Christmas season to release their shi- I mean games. (without setting a ridiculously overpriced tag >>)

14. Waynes1987

Member Waynes1987 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    See the thing with march releases there in time for easter.
    Its not that uncommon to ask for a present rather than an egg. Plus the fact some lazy relative who cant be bothered to get chocolate might give money instead.

Kids and the like will be able to go and buy games [​IMG]

I see your point though, But why rush a game for a christmas release? better to take your time and get the game right.

It seems the release date is no longer a fundimental part of game releases.
    Does it still play an important role in the amount of sales?

I mean consider what age group the games are tailored for. its hardly that important to release an 18+ game around christmas, considering most people aged 18 and over can just go and buy it when they want it.
    Maybe thats the thinking behind it?
    Or perhaps its basically because they suck at getting them out for christmas.
    "cant make december 2010, so we'll do march 2011 rather than waiting till december 2011".

Who knows, it doesnt seem that important anymore though. :/

15. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Screw March, Bulletstorm is coming out in February.

And I'm pretty sure that Mass Effect 3 is coming out in late 2011, probably November.

16. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    I think February'll be better.
    3DS Japanese launch, Tactics Ogre and DQVI!
    Oh and KH: Recoded is coming out on January like said Alex said AND Marvel VS Capcom 3 is coming out in February

17. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Just received an email from EA saying ME3 will be out christmas 2011 ... I died a little. Still great titles for next year. You forgot to mention Star Wars: The Old Republic which should be released Q1 2011

18. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The fuck? I ain't importing a 3DS, I want a US system since it'll be region locked and cheaper here. March is the better month.

19. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Wasn't Marvel Vs Capcom 3 rescheduled to an earlier release in Feb? (possibly Feb 18th or Valentine's Day or something?)

I have been pretty closely following that one [​IMG]

20. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    I totally agree with you; the 3DS release with all its awesome games and don't forget The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for Wii.