XLinkKai Anyone?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Devin, Apr 17, 2011.

Apr 17, 2011

XLinkKai Anyone? by Devin at 12:58 AM (1,269 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Devin
    OP

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Anyone wanna play Portal 2, and or Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 over XLinkKai? [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I keep meaning to set this up properly but never get around to it-

General post on the subject

If you are looking at the mini wall of text the handful of technical terms featured and are now worried do no be as it covers lots of things in unnecessary detail.
    Chances are you will sign up for a service or otherwise exchange details and press connect on the VPN software and then connect in game for the system link.

Only system link games will work but fortunately compared to the PS3 and even poor old PC these days there are quite a few with games still coming out that have it (portal 2 being the latest). Original xbox games with system link should also work, not sure if these are bound by the limitations that follow though (certainly they were not originally troubled by it).
    list of a couple of them
    http://www.co-optimus.com/system/1/xbox_360.html (this has been somewhat unreliable in recent months for upcoming games and I am not sure about all the existing entries- games missing it but having it in the end (portal2), games said to have it and then not (bulletstorm and skate 3). XBLA should be on the same site but there is not much there (would be duke 3d players- there are better PC mods of the program).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_...stem_Link_games

I will also mention red dead read redemption had some issues at first and will probably need title updates to get it sorted- anybody can do this these days though as USB is an option. XTAF is the program for it.

On the subject of title updates your machines will need the same ones but they are easy enough to get your hands on (update packs are around- try usenet, filetrip has some (will have some more when I get around to it- I have the packs sitting here), http://digiex.net/downloads/download-cente.../title-updates/ , http://www.elitemodscene.com/gamedb/ and http://www.xbuc.net/ (probably the best/most complete). Generally go with the latest on xbuc (be careful as sometimes they will backfill older title updates as they get discovered if you go by upload date) for your version (it might get tricky between regions or if you have a rare version- sometimes multiple versions within a region exist) or none at all. I doubt anybody is actually patching title updates onto xex files around here (nothing is really gained for the trouble) but if you are remember to account for this as you go to set up games.

It might also be useful to have http://360.kingla.com/
    On the subject of USB a lot of DLC appeared in various forms you can install even without shared profile (mainly stuff that originally came on an installer disc) but that is a matter for a different thread- the most useful is probably the first two borderlands expansions.

Only JTAG boxes (of which we have quite a few members with them around here) with patches (should be in every version of dashlaunch for quite some time now, not sure if it made mainstream freeboot/fbbuild yet but you should be using dashlaunch anyhow) can join unless you happen to be on the same LAN ( http://ronja.twibright.com/ and http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/03/not_spot_no_longer/ if you feel like going to extremes ) as the host* but the host can be stock if you want (yes it can also be banned).
    Xlink kai is just a crude but somewhat easy to set up VPN (not to mention it has features like network control and might even run on your router) but any should work- do remember it does give people access to your LAN (whether it allows internet uplink via your network probably depends on your setup and is a different matter) so shared folders are advised to be kept low profile (if available at all) and indeed might be best to choose those that connect. Obviously any PC "hacking" (up to those in the game if you want to do game hacking- common sense applies here though) and other misuse will not be looked upon kindly.
    Regarding JTAG some of the newest versions of freestyle dash look to be adding controllers for things like Xlink kai.

*maybe quite literally down the street on the same ISP (maybe you can get away with a reseller) and ISP network setup (your cable company might do ADSL as well for instance) although that is still a bit sketchy (the cabinet a the end of your road probably does not do anything special and it will likely go all the way to the exchange if not further away with the ping that it brings).

Other VPN options include teamviewer which has a nice NAT traversal (no need to mess around with ports and usenames/signing up or having a domain name of some form (dyndns or something) or firing current IP addresses (at best you probably have a pseudostatic IP) to the relevant people) and more oriented for the 360 is http://www.secudb.de/~seuffert/xbslink/ - xlink kai was popular back on the original xbox but xbslink got in there before xlink kai had a chance to react to JTAG developments.

I do not know about hamachi (it does odd things like assigning a public IP if memory serves which are very unexpected for most system link stuff- some PC games even fall over with it).

Finally just a note- by connecting it up in this way you might see your 360 facing the internet again which can cause some issues with Live enabled profiles (if anybody has a guide and tools to remove the ability/return it to offline style profiles that would be appreciated- I did not see it with a quick scan of the tools I have but I did not look very hard), nothing making a new profile will not fix though and you tend not to lose much, if anything, on system link for such troubles. Equally there are many save modding tools for many games (mainly thinking borderlands) and you might just be able to resign for another profile but that is where you lose me as it has never really come up for me. Failing that you could just block live at router or network level (not sure what ports and protocols system link uses though so be careful there- VPN should make it local but some routers are weird).

You might also want to read up on network connection bridging and possibly internet connection sharing depending on how you are planning on sorting this (a bridged connection to a PC will usually beat your router for fiddling potential). There was a nice thread around here somewhere a few months back on the subject.

I think that should just about cover it.

3. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I would but because of 3 things I can't.

1. Don't have any of those games, yet at least.

2. I have no idea how to set up xlinkkai on xbox.

3. I'm doing the wifi night.....if anyone even comes....

4. Devin
    OP

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Very informative as always Flash. I was playing Portal 2 System Link with Nick earlier today. I was on my JTAG, and him on his "stock" XBOX 360 with a flashed disc drive. In the link that has XBSLink, is that the best one to use? In terms of function? When I use XLinkKai, I just run it, choose a game "Arena", and join any open game matches. I have seem to get a issue such as not being able to connect to people on Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Either they don't see me hosting, or I can't find them in the games searching function. We did delete the title update, as another user on there advised up to, but to no prevail it didn't work. Any advice? Oh, and I've install Dash Launch, (30 ping patch) and I'm on freeBOOT 12611. My only other question would be does it matter if the game I'm trying to run on System Link is in GOD format?

Thanks a ton.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    GOD format should not matter (it is but a tweak on NXE ("install disc to hard drive" installs)- quite literally 5 minutes before I started tapping this reply out I was playing portal 2 GOD install against a flashed DVD 360 albeit on a machine to machine connection (no router or anything).

I have no real experience with MW2 though- I might have played it for 5 minutes on local system link although I am not sure about that (it had splitscreen as well if memory serves). Also you have to remember there is still a sort of private lobby culture there (private hacked lobbies and what have you).

Xlink kai does have nice rooms/matchmaking and the like which is nice if you want that sort of thing not to mention some DD-wrt clients (or some other wrt54g hacked firmware clients) meaning in that case beyond config which freestyle can now apparently do you do not need a PC- it has not taken off half as much as the original xbox though.
    xbslink is good though and does it all well. It does have a measure of rooms (they call them nodes) as well.
    teamviewer's main strength is you run it, send passwords/names and usually it works without any real need for port forwarding and sending IP addresses around not to mention there is a portable version ( http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/teamviewer_portable ) that you can use if you are somewhere else, I think they even have a mobile phone client these days. The others do attempt this though and I mainly use it for remote support to save aggro with router settings (if you think guiding someone through some things on a phone is difficult I advise never trying to guide someone through port forwarding)- it works and as I use it for work I know it fairly well but it is not built in any way, shape or form for game purposes. I still retain big boy VPN for when it matters but teamviewer is so nice otherwise.

Other than that best VPN is a bit like the debate around best operating system, best browser, best booze and best whatever else- if it gets it done use whatever you like. Some require more fiddling than others but that might also come with a payoff in terms of easy connection in the future rather than messing around in PMs/email/IM of some form or whatever else.
    My only real suggestion is try to avoid some of the older methods (thinking point to point stuff like pptp)- they are a large part of what gained VPN a troublesome reputation and often have serious drawbacks with regards to what you want to accomplish here (sadly they are still very much entrenched in corporate stuff- "how come your connection works more reliably/easily than my work" being a thing I hear all too often).

Also regarding title updates- the cache directory of any USB drives and the hard drives are unrelated. Make sure you delete them from both if you are deleting things.

@Duskye re "I have no idea how to set up xlinkkai on xbox" any 360 side stuff beyond actually connecting to your home network is optional as far as fiddling on the 360 goes.
    Equally I think this is aimed at creating a more permanent connection/group for games.