Gaming Xenon Jtag issues

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i am dumping my latest jtag-nominee and have run into major problems.

First being one of my lpt solder spots is the shonkiest solder job ever, and is barely stuck to the board... it works however... so i am going through all of this VERY carefully.

Secondly, the dumps i am getting thus far (only 1 and 1/2 done atm) getting 2 bad blocks (250 error) at 94 and 1C0. (both bad at these same points)
just want to know if this will cause an issue when i try to install freeboot? i know there are work arounds for bad blocks, but im not sure as uve never had to do any myself, so knowledgable people, such as yourselves, may be able to help me.

Thirdly, is there an updated dump procedure i should follow that is foolproof?
some guides recommend the full 16mb dump, some say a partial dump will do... i always do the full 16mb just in case... but whats the best way? I personally havnt done this sort of thing since XBR3, and have not jtag'd straight to freeboot.

thanks all

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You simply will need to remap the bad blocks. These will already be mapped in your NAND as there are a couple of spare blocks at the end for exactly this reason, you need to remap what you flash so it's the same.

Provided your backups are identical, it's not to big a deal. If the bad blocks are after 7F, you can normally use Xellous and a USB stick to automatically remap the bad blocks.

Do the full 16MB dump, but flash the 2MB of Xellous and then flash FreeBoot using Xellous and a USB Stick.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
tk,

after taking my last dump, should i flash "xell-1f.bin" or "xell-2f.bin" to the board? (without doing anything else)
once this is done, use "updslot1.bin" which would be my freeboot nand image... would i have to do anything or will xellous just do it all for me?

also, would you suggest dash launch 2.00, 2.01 or 2.02?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First for that solder point bend the wire over and tape it or blue tack it down to the board- any pulling will pull that rather than the solder point.

If there are bad blocks before 50 hex (your first appears to be at 94hex so you are good there) you use to install xell (note not xellous as that does have the option of messing things up) then you will have to remap but if you install freeboot in software/on 360 then that should not trouble things.
Most guides and NFOs were made around the time or built for those that gained their skills playing hardware. Not to say there are not benefits to hardware but software rose up for a reason.

Full dumps are always nice to have but realistically you only need the keyvault (unencrypted or with the keys to decrypt it) to work and adding in the config blocks is always good too (it is pretty much the keyvault and the config blocks that make a 360 unique).

General procedure is dump first two megs to check CB and create a way to inject xell into it (it does not need much space).
Flash that 2 megs back
Run xell to get the keys and grab the complete dump and stitch together the first two megs and the remaining amount (usually 14 odd megs unless you have a big block machine)
Now you have a complete dump you can work with ibuild (the freeboot build tool) but as that is fussy/not built for custom dumps you can often pull stuff off with 360 Flash Dump Tool and/or one of the many freeboot build tools out there (bestpig freeboot toolbox being the chosen one of most people).

If you were so inclined you could inject the config blocks and keyvault into http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15694.0 and that might save some hassle (although it will not have bad block remapping unless you do it).

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_23gw47ddgs has more on bad blocks.

edit: I wandered off and missed the replies.

Dashlaunch- later is better although as of 2.01 it has an installer you can run on the 360.

edit 2: forgot half the questions. https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_186pp2zddm has a lot but 1f is the main one, 2f is needed when building rebooter images.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks fast, might have to read that again, just to get things sorted out.
also, i as about dashlaunch because the creators say that 2.02 was unstable or something... but whatever.
thanks for the help all

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I use DashLaunch 2.00, for me both 2.01 and 2.02 have issues. 2.01 seems to be more picky about the timing of pressing the buttons on bootup. I also updated a console from 2.00 to 2.02, and miniNXE stopped working despite having the same lauch.ini as before. It still worked on pressing the button on bootup though.

You only need 2.01 if you have a Jasper Arcade which has internal memory.

Flash xell-1f.bin and then your KV, get a camera and photograph the CPU key. You can then either go straight to FreeBoot (verify the CPU key in FlashTool 0.97 with your nand first, if correct it will be able to decrypt the KV) or update it to Xellous so you can get the CPU key over http.

I just flash Xellous straight off, then flash the KV, then stick the FreeBoot updflash.bin on a USBstick and update.

Follow this guide instead of the one linked to by Fast https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_30dw33vpf4 It's an updated version of the same guide. Within that guide there's a Version of Xellous you can flash straight off (ie instead of flashing Xell and then updating to Xellous) http://extreme-power-computers.com/free60/...ack_xellous.zip It makes life a little easier.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, flashed xellous (with xell) to the board and turned it on and dumped the nand and all the keys again... then it over heated cos my fan wanst in it
tongue.gif

fixed that but in doing so knocked one of my soldered cables out... a different one AND maybe that dodgy one too. Frak.
used updflash.bin that i got from finidhing the rest of this tutorial and let it flash (using xbr3).

and, dun dun dun....... i get the dreded black screen. tried 2 different sets of cables, and the disc drive still ejects itself, but will not boot into anything... neither xell/xellous or XNE.

gonna call it a night and try again tomorrow... in the meanwhile, gimmie some ideas on where to go from here, please.

g'night y'all.

-Timothy

EDIT; with steady fingers, managed to hold the 2 desoldered wires in place and reflashed Xellous onto the board... leaving it here for now... for real this time... see what you guys say about what to do next.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Xenon's are generally the easiest to do, as you don't have to mess around with the ARGON, AUD_CLAMP etc.

There's another tutorial you might want to try https://docs0.google.com/document/view?id=1...qNoB&pli=1#

Some say Xellous has issues remapping bad blocks and suggest to remap them manually.

If you open your original dump with FlashTool 0.97, it should confirm what bad blocks you have and where they are remapped to.

If you then use NANDhealer or BadBlockRemapper to remap the FreeBoot image using your original NAND, check the remapped FreeBoot image in FlashTool 0.97 to see if it's blocks have also been remapped to the same places.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
checked with flash tool, and the bad blocks are there...
ran xNandHealer to "heal" the blocks, which it says it does the following

Code:
Reading block 094...Done
Writing block 094 to location 3FF...Done
Reading block 1C0...Done
Writing block 1C0 to location 3FE...Done
Marking block 094 as bad...Done
Marking block 1C0 as bad...Done

i then checked via flash tool again, and it said it still had bad blocks... which i guess makes sense 'cos it says it was marking them as bad.
using this now "fixed" nand, i tried using freeboot toolbox, which happened to error out on me for some reason. then i paniced, and went through the whole process again, resulting in similar happenings, but when going to make the freeboot toolbox image, it did not stop part way, and finished fine.

just wanna know if you think its good to flash, as i dont really wanna sit around again holding wires to the mobo.
tongue.gif

peace

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In XNANDhealer, there's an option to remap the bad blocks. Run the FreeBoot Toolbox and generate your FreeBoot image, goto XNand, goto the remap bad blocks tab, for the nand image selection use the original NAND and as the NAND to be remapped use the FreeBoot NAND. Then Click on the remap button and it should remap the blocks in the FreeBoot image so it matches those of your original NAND.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
used nand1 as my template, used my freeboot image as the modifying source, it theoretically fixed everything, flashed, e71.
frown.gif

xellous still runs, so gonna try something in reverse.

edit: nope still e71

ALSO; when using xellous to flash the nand, it finds the back blocks still and remaps them to some obscure spot.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The experts are here but given that sites is home to many of the developers etc, i'm not sure how friendly they will be to n00bs. You only really have Fast on here, XS seems almost dead and 7S has a serious lack of moderation.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok ok, i stopped being a noob and relying on tools that may or may not work, and did things the good ol' fashion way... nandpro.

made my freeboot image using my stock (bad block) nand image, used nandpro to move the bad blocks of the freeboot image to the end to the free space, then flashed that with xellous, and t'da, all is fine.

thanks Tk for sticking with, and thanks to fast who is always there to help.

as always, you dont necesarily need to provide an exact answer to the problem, but to talk it through is what really helps... makes the people with less skill feel like they achieved something grand.
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1