Hacking Xenoblade over USB

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not having issues with the game, though I have been playing via my disk. I really hate playing via disk, as my Wii is a noisy bugger. Anyway, I haven't tried using a USB loader with Xenoblade Chronicles, and as I wish to avoid noise, I'm wondering if there are any issues with running it through, say, configurable... Advantages? Disadvantages? Etc etc etc.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm not having issues with the game, though I have been playing via my disk. I really hate playing via disk, as my Wii is a noisy bugger. Anyway, I haven't tried using a USB loader with Xenoblade Chronicles, and as I wish to avoid noise, I'm wondering if there are any issues with running it through, say, configurable... Advantages? Disadvantages? Etc etc etc.
No disadvantages AFAIK, but advantages would be faster loading times, no noise, no disc to worry about.

EnigmaBlade

Trophies
XP
Country
Faster loading times, no need to worry about random "an error occured, please insert bla bla game disc". I've never had that issue with Xenoblade, but some other games. MUCH more reliable then DVD.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, most of my Wii games give me no issue when I load them from a hard drive, but Super Smash Bros Brawl gives me freezing issues still. I'm mostly curious as I know Xenoblade is a dual layer game, and I believe Brawl is too.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only real "disadvantage" is the eventual death of the HDD itself.

Not for years and years and years and decades and weeks and months and days and so on.

It's like someone saying "My hard drive is going to die ANY SECOND NOW!!!!"

Could be a second later, or however many seconds is in a decade, or whatever.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say "decades" but several years (five to ten) if it's well taken care of. I've had a Western Digital HDD on my PC for four years and I haven't so much as experienced an issue. A very reliable brand.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. From my understanding, if a hard drive lasts it's first 6 months to a year, it will last a good several years generally. In any case, I'm not worried too much about the hard drive.

Is it possible I have a bad rip of Brawl? I do remember the disk being a bit... out of shape.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't say "decades" but several years (five to ten) if it's well taken care of. I've had a Western Digital HDD on my PC for four years and I haven't so much as experienced an issue. A very reliable brand.
Lol, I've had 2 WD element 1tb drives.
Crashed all beyond repair within 2 years.
Still best brand in terms of money/ storage/ compatibilty.
The amount of usage will greatly affect it's lifespan.
You have to consider that just like a Wii DVD drive, the hdd has spinning parts too.
All that moves is vulnerable to wear and tear, no exceptions.

My current wd elements still alive and kicking ( 1 year old )
Just make sure to defragment it regularly if you are writing a lot to it.
it will reduce wear and tear on the motor and heads thus prolonging it's life span.
I suggest using good brand of DVD for storing your backups and a good hdd drive for acctually playing the games.
Then in case of a crash you can easily re-install your backup games from dvd using Wiibackupmanager.
To your new drive.

Also note that dvd's do not have eternal life also.
roughly they will go "bad" in about 5 to ten years depending on brand and dye-quality.
This is without use whatsoever, just storage.

Keep this in mind when trying to keep your collection as long as possible.
The best option is still getting a retail disc and keep it in a save place.
Retail disc won't go bad untill about 50+ years.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WD is still leaps and bounds more reliable than abortive Seagate or Toshiba brand HDDs, at least in my experience. I use a MyPassport and aside from only one emulator, everything runs perfectly fine on it. Though I do admit that I haven't been defragging it as often as I should be.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Yup. From my understanding, if a hard drive lasts it's first 6 months to a year, it will last a good several years generally. In any case, I'm not worried too much about the hard drive.

Is it possible I have a bad rip of Brawl? I do remember the disk being a bit... out of shape.

Yeah. My personally ripped copy of Brawl liked to freeze sometimes, even though the disc is near flawless. I downloaded a 6.~~GB .wbfs or .ciso or something from The Penguin Bar that works flawlessly though. I didn't want to, but my friend said that was the one that we had been playing on his Wii so I got it too. Yay for Brawl again!
Although the really strange part is my disc will error more than the bad .iso did, even though the disc is scratchless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Interesting lol