1. Lagunriv

Lagunriv Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    This is grate, tell me u gonna create some kind of config files with the best results to share with everybody at the end, well-done dude!

2. iacErPUL

iacErPUL Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    I was thinking of doing that but DunArd has already created a wonderful preset to use, go check his post on page 12. I also use his preset and tweaked the resolution a bit and turned TMAA off for better sharpness although there's jaggies and shimmering.

3. thieve

thieve Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
  4. iacErPUL

iacErPUL Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    Nah, this dongle legitimately exists. It's sold by Marseille Inc. which is a company that manufacturers chips which processes images. The dongle works by upscaling images and applying anti-aliasing, sharpening and also contrast.
    So they're not stealing images from this site and they're not the ones selling the dongle. Please do some simple search work before commenting about it instead of glancing the article and misinterpreting it.
    I have ordered an alternative to this and I have done my homework, just so you know.

Tomakage and toto621 like this.
  5. Huy98vn

Huy98vn GBAtemp Regular

Vietnam
    Wait, "The logic here is that humans are actually more sensitive to horizontal resolution than we are vertical" why increase vertical res higher than horizontal?

Last edited by Huy98vn, Jun 1, 2020
  6. NikkoKozukata

NikkoKozukata GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I mostly play on docked and I tried using @DunArd presets:
    without presets:
    upload_2020-6-1_13-57-18.png upload_2020-6-1_13-57-41.png

with presets:
    upload_2020-6-1_13-58-5.png upload_2020-6-1_13-58-28.png
    The only thing I notice is that the shadows looks great with presets on?

Last edited by NikkoKozukata, Jun 1, 2020
  7. Huy98vn

Huy98vn GBAtemp Regular

Vietnam
    NikkoKozukata likes this.
  8. DunArd

DunArd Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    I will try to optimize dock mode sharpness with the values that @iacErPUL shared, but is very difficult because each one has different TV with different resolution, size, panel and configuration. But I will try my best.

PD: For example, If you play in a 1080p monitor with 27" and I put more sharpness you will see a lot of more sharp than another one with a 4k TV with 60".

Edit:
    Ok, update v1.3 realeased, I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by DunArd, Jun 1, 2020
    sorabora, Chuardo and NikkoKozukata like this.
  9. lbobo

lbobo Member
    Newcomer

India
    Some more screenshot, I am going to compare my config to the recent one posted. Great to see so much energy and sharing.
    Handheld, of course.

2020052700094500-8625352D7931559E8BE3042D46DE9738.jpg

(This one might have been docked)
    2020052721433100-8625352D7931559E8BE3042D46DE9738.jpg

2020053023182300-8625352D7931559E8BE3042D46DE9738.jpg

2020053100401100-8625352D7931559E8BE3042D46DE9738.jpg

pLaYeR^^ likes this.
  10. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

Austria
    Do you have some screenshot for comparison with the original textures and resolutions? Do you need to overclock the switch to achieve a picture like yours? What's about docked mode?

11. NikkoKozukata

NikkoKozukata GBAtemp Regular

United States
    TESTED V1.3 of @DunArd's preset both docked and handheld
    w/o w/ preset
    Docked 1.jpg Docked preset 1.jpg

Docked.jpg Docked preset 2.jpg
    W/O W/ Preset
    hh.jpg HH PRESET.jpg

I agree! handheld looks gorgeous now! wow.

12. Tomakage

Tomakage Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    What's the alternative if you don't mind me asking? I've got the mclassic and it works great but unfortunately doesn't upscale to 4k so stays as 1080p on my TV. So was looking for any possible other options just to compare

13. MasterH@X

Newcomer

France
    Check out the mclassic you have, maybe it needs that the image from the Switch is set to 720p in order to upscale to 4K. It works like that with other dongles from the same brand. There's no great alternative.
    But still I find those too expensive for the little it can improve the image. It's just oversharpening, and altering the source image. Nothing is magic. I don't think it's a great purchase for that price.

14. pwnsweet

pwnsweet Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    It was a typo. Should be:
    "The logic here is that humans are actually more sensitive to vertical resolution than we are horizontal"

EDIT: reference:
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-resolution-does-the-human-eye-see-in.2025111/

Last edited by pwnsweet, Jun 1, 2020
  15. Tomakage

Tomakage Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Yeh I have it set at 720p the issue is it upscales to max 1440p and apparently my TV does support 1440p but I can't force it for some reason. I get what you mean in terms of cost, it's definitely a luxury. I wasn't initially sold on it and was going to sell it but then after testing it with quite a bit it does do a decent job for games like xenoblade. Of course, there is room for improvement though. It helps that I sit quite close to a 55" TV so small changes are noticeable

16. Chuardo

Chuardo GBAtemp Fan

Uruguay
    I never oc'd my Switch before, is it possible that it could lead to negative side effects? Is there any game that runs originally on the Switch with those clock speeds like BOTW or Doom? If there's any licensed game that uses those clocking speeds I would be more comfortable using them

17. Huy98vn

Huy98vn GBAtemp Regular

Vietnam
    and you can OC handheld GPU a little bit to 384mhz and set minium handheld res to 0.85 (red_AtMinX/Y) the game will still run smoothly with much better resolution, I even find tmaa now look okay with in that res. Don't understand why the dev make this gorgeous game super blurry with that low handheld clock/res. A lot of games used 384mhz GPU as default, some like TW3 even have default 460mhz

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's safe as long as it's 460mhz or lower. With an official charge you can reach 921mhz (768 is docked mode default) but I wont recommend that because the heat from the screen and charging could shorten your battery life. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-nintendo-switch-boost-mode-analysis
    You can see most nintendo exclusive games used 384mhz or higher, for BOTW I heard somewhere that OC ram to 1600mhz will help with some fps drop as it already has boost mode to 460mhz

Last edited by Huy98vn, Jun 1, 2020
    NikkoKozukata likes this.
  18. iacErPUL

iacErPUL Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    Sorry to disappoint but what I meant by alternative was a cheaper option to the rather expensive mClassic. I ordered this which is basically a mCable since it has the same chip (VTV-1224) as the mCable and mClassic. I expect it to work similarly as the mCable/mClassic but the reason why I bought it is because it's much cheaper than the mCable/mClassic.

Also, if you want to achieve greater visuals from native hardware, I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. Best chances to get the best visuals are probably from emulation, look at yuzu or Ryujinx emulator. yuzu emulator is already rendering XCDE pretty well for it's early days for which I have split feelings. Other than emulation, there's also the luxury option which is buying a TV with upscaling and frame interpolation built-in although that's too much for me.

Games like BotW does use 768MHz (when docked), which is the limit Nintendo has set, not NVIDIA which is the manufacturer. There's two more steps above that which is 844 and 921MHz. However, OC settings that are available on the Switch are well within the range of its chip, the Tegra X1. Usually, when you overclock a chip (going past it's rated frequencies, voltage, etc.) the "lifespan" of the chip decreases quicker compared to stock settings. I wouldn't worry much about lifespan since it takes quite a few years and by then the chip will be obsolete and be replaced by its successor. Obvious drawbacks are more heat, bigger power consumption and the before mentioned.

I mainly play the Switch when docked and so power is always available. I edited the fan settings to make it more aggressive, keeping the temperatures around 55°C. Handheld is limited more in OC options but it suffices its mode. What I recommend is always overclock when docked and handheld is up to you, whether you want better visuals or battery life. OC settings can always be adjusted on the fly and I haven't seen any major issues so far.

19. toto621

toto621 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    To avoid problem I highly recommend to replace vanilla (and very poor quality) thermal paste of your switch by quality one like Artic MX-4. I've personnaly also added well placed thermal pads to increase heat exhaustion.

20. Vandes

Vandes Member
    Newcomer

Zimbabwe
    Dynamic resolution should only kick in if needed to keep 30fps, correct?
    I'd like to keep 720p docked as often as possible, but I'd also like to avoid frame drops in busy scenarios. Does it make sense for me to allow a resolution reduction in the settings, to have this apply only in case 720p cannot be mantained?

Code:
    red_sclX=1.0
    red_sclY=1.0

red_AtMaxX=1.0
    red_AtMaxY=1.0
    red_AtMinX=0.5
    red_AtMinY=1.0
    I'd give it a very high performance ceiling by allowing up to 50% horizontal res reduction, but I'd like to be sure that this would only apply dynamically if needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Definitive, Xenoblade, Edition