Gaming Xenoblade Chronicles X - do you have the time to play it?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,780
  • Replies 16
D

Deleted User

OP
When I was younger I used to think RPG's were the best. Collecting all the stuff was addictive, they had interesting stories and took a long time to finish. These days, whether I want the game or not I don't have the time to play it without compromising on my other hobbies and commitments. From memory the game is meant to last about 100 hours. I could set aside an hour a day for the next 100 days to finish it, but in reality either of the following scenarios is more likely to play out.

1 - I would get sick of the game before I finish it.

2 - I would get really addicted and play it like crazy until I feel like crap for letting the game eat away at my life.

Earlier this year I deleted my Fire Emblem 7 save data because the second outcome come to be. I would like to play X, it looks pretty cool, but no; I think the game will grow inside of me like a parasite and consume my precious life. Quoting Aragorn "one who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters".

So, are you going to buy X and if yes how do you intend to finish it?

gcunit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know exactly what you mean, but I prefer to look at it that if the game is worth having/playing (i.e. if it's going to go down in history as a great game) then I want it in my library/collection. When or if I'm going to finish it doesn't really matter - I don't have to finish a game to make it worth the money or effort, and there's certainly no deadline.

I will wait for the reviews and word-of- mouth, as I did with Splatoon, which is a worthy game, even though I'm still only at Lvl 9 it's a must-have. I'm not yet sure about XCX.

Reactions: thorasgar

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lately I have been able to play RPGs a couple of hours a week, that is the time I have.
That is so that it took me more than 3 years to complete the first Xenoblade, as I wanted to go for the collectibles, side missions, achievements, Colony 6, etc., but I was able to take it slow.
Anyway, sometimes I get addicted, but not only to RPG, that happened some time ago for a couple of weeks with Project Mirai 2... Hell... That is unhealthy.

PS: I am going to buy X, and I expect to finish it sometime... Hell, I still don't finish ME3.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be moving half-way across the country not too long before it comes out, and won't know much of anyone, so that would allow me to sink plenty of time into while I slowly acclimate myself to the new area.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know exactly what you mean, but I prefer to look at it that if the game is worth having/playing (i.e. if it's going to go down in history as a great game) then I want it in my library/collection. When or if I'm going to finish it doesn't really matter - I don't have to finish a game to make it worth the money or effort, and there's certainly no deadline.

I will wait for the reviews and word-of- mouth, as I did with Splatoon, which is a worthy game, even though I'm still only at Lvl 9 it's a must-have. I'm not yet sure about XCX.
I am embarrassed to report my Users Log.

July
MK8 86:43
Splatoon 10:03
August
Splatoon 93:41
Mk8 10:48

Mk8 rank 6950
Splatoon level 33, rank C, $424,000 in cash

To get to level 34 you need like 360 points, at 5pts max per match on turf battle that ties going to take some time maybe a little faster in ranked battle. I am not really all that good, I get killed more than most. My youngest is level 23 but he is actually much better in many respects. As a warmup for a match he speeds through the final boss battle in solo with relative ease and no splats. I can't make it 3/4 of the way through. I hate that arrogant SOB DJ. :)

But I just picked up MK8 yesterday and all that Splatoon has made me TONS BETTER. :). I can actually hug the inside lines really close now and I feel like I am just floating around the track with ease . It is an amazing feeling.

Reactions: Megaben99

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OT Talking about logs, I don't know how the hell did I corrupt my 3DS emunand so badly that every time I try to access the logs it just crashes (also I have a black square icon below it where some other system app should be).
Meh...... I suppose I will have to backup all my save data and start from a clean emunand.
(I just wanted to check how much time I had "invested" into Project Mirai)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OT Talking about logs, I don't know how the hell did I corrupt my 3DS emunand so badly that every time I try to access the logs it just crashes (also I have a black square icon below it where some other system app should be).
Meh...... I suppose I will have to backup all my save data and start from a clean emunand.
(I just wanted to check how much time I had "invested" into Project Mirai)
I haven't been following the 3DS scene closely this summer but you should have a backup emunand. If you don't you learned your lesson. Back that shit up frequently.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I haven't been following the 3DS scene closely this summer but you should have a backup emunand. If you don't you learned your lesson. Back that shit up frequently.
I have one, but it is so old that half the games I had are not even installed there.
Anyway, it still works, so I can backup my saves.
No big problem there, just a lot of work and time backing up and reinstalling CIAs...

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
I never feel bad investing time in one game as long as i enjoy it. Whether you split your time between 20 games or one doesn't matter since the amount of time spend is still the same. Spare time is necessary for any hobby and if playing video games leaves the impression you 'wasted' your time or it makes you feel bad for doing so, stop playing games and find a different hobby.

The more time investment you can get out of a game while keeping the bar of enjoyment on a satisfying level the more value you get for your money. That's how hobbies work. Get used to it!

Reactions: thorasgar

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about "playing" this game. I want to "explore" this game. It will be a very slow burn for me and if the game is as expansive as Nintendo claims, it will be a year or so before I "beat" this game. I can't wait!

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I feel the same way before I buy a game but when I start playing and get into it I'm ok until the next big game is out. I'm a bit put off by Fallout 4's 400hrs though, especially after playing The Witcher 3 and now MGSV. Need to space out my open world games I guess!

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don't understand why people nowadays thinks that MUST get, and finish a game instantly to go directly to another one like is an obligation...
Games are here for us to be happy, not to get mad about the time you have to play it.
I bought the 2 Bayonettas for WiiU at launch (for supporting the developers) , and i'm getting the WiiU with Xenoblade X pack we get here in Europe.

Use the time you have like you want, not the way the publishers/world wants to. ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1