Xemu original Xbox emulator's new v0.5 update adds audio support, better BIOS compatibility

Progress on Xbox emulation is coming along, as the team behind the emulator xemu have released a new update. The fledgling original Xbox emulator has reached version 0.5, which adds a variety of new features, most interesting of which being that it can play sound now, because as of this new update, xemu has preliminary audio support. There's a video that showcases some of the additions and the emulator's current performance, with titles like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Halo: Combat Evolved running in a somewhat playable state. It's an impressive feat for the notoriously sparse Xbox emulation scene, and the emulator is coming along nicely towards its eventual full v1.0 release one day.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm seriously surprised to see that video. For the longest time, any sort of OG Xbox emulation consisted of "Well, you can play a little Halo CE as a proof of concept of a treat." And seeing a bunch of games running in this video, with sound, is wildly impressive.

I know their website states only a small percentage of games are even "playable" but it's seriously cool to FINALLY see some progress being made on the OG Xbox emulation front.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one small step for Xbox emulation...one giant leap for Jet Set Radio Future on PC

And Panzer Dragoon Orta...Ninja Gaiden 1 without the forced Sixaxis BS...both of the Otogi games...the third Crazy Taxi and Midtown Madness...Dead or Alive 3 and its very extreme spin-offs...and the better versions of many a third party if a game saw a release on this system.

Still, this is the solution using QEMU I think is what its called? Isn't it like emulating the entire OS iirc? I've been looking forward to progress on this Xbox emulator in particular since CXbxR is in that "fix one problem, another hydra head grows" state of software development.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm seriously surprised to see that video. For the longest time, any sort of OG Xbox emulation consisted of "Well, you can play a little Halo CE as a proof of concept of a treat." And seeing a bunch of games running in this video, with sound, is wildly impressive.

I know their website states only a small percentage of games are even "playable" but it's seriously cool to FINALLY see some progress being made on the OG Xbox emulation front.
Cxbx-Reloaded has had a ton of games that are playable for a good long while now, so this isn't so much a "finally!" as it is "another emulator other than Cxbx is making progress finally!", which is cool.

It's definitely nice to see more than one project being active though, hopefully 2021 will see a lot of progress for Xbox emulation.

Shahaan

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
And Panzer Dragoon Orta...Ninja Gaiden 1 without the forced Sixaxis BS...both of the Otogi games...the third Crazy Taxi and Midtown Madness...Dead or Alive 3 and its very extreme spin-offs...and the better versions of many a third party if a game saw a release on this system.

Still, this is the solution using QEMU I think is what its called? Isn't it like emulating the entire OS iirc? I've been looking forward to progress on this Xbox emulator in particular since CXbx-R is in that "fix one problem, another hydra head grows" state of software development.

Around half of that is already playable on CXBX-R between DOA3, DOAXBV, and... Orta and Midtown Madness I'm not sure on but I think Midtown Madness was somewhere at least in-game last time I checked, Orta might have had some regressions but was playable at one point I believe.

There's way too many technicalities between Cxbx-R and xemu so I'll go over them oh- just because I don't want people getting weird ideas

xemu is taking an LLE approach and emulating all the Xbox hardware while for now at least Cxbx-r runs them as windows applications while sort of running them under some sort of compatibility layer and patching the xbe executable to make it run better under modern windows, this also means xemu is more feasible to port to other systems.

Cxbx-R takes an HLE one, has upscaling and better performance in general but I think in long-term xemu is going to have better compatiblity while Cxbx-R gets more roadblocks, stuff like sound in Cxbx-R is done a bit basically compared to the full audio emulation xemu is going for but few games rarely need it, Cxbx-R should have less input latency as well I assume but in most emulators (give for PCSX2) the minimal impact on input latency is practically unnoticeable.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom