Xbox's Phil Spencer discusses toxicity in gaming and how to combat it

Chary May 22, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    A line I often bring up in such discussions is the game makes the community. If your game has small teams where one person can tank a match by incompetence (especially if competence is only achieved by knowing the secrets of the game rather than just being able to play and figuring it out), and having nothing permanent beyond a level and score card then you are going to get elitism and all that goes with it (see also why DOTA/MOBA stuff is full of elitist idiots), make it such that player counts on a team don't matter, scores are determined individually and if a player's only contribution is to draw a bit of fire from another player that knows what to do then you get people trying to help and not getting yelled at.

Anyway I am not a fan of Microsoft's policy of making their rules a conversation. I can see why they do but it makes analysis a bit harder.
    Mind you
    Because that is in any way not prone to overzealous mods and oddities -- I don't know if people have been watching the fun and games with the SPLC of late and places occasionally backing off following some rather suspect calls.

So ultra sanitised and boring seems to be what they are going in for. Didn't really expect anything else but OK. Back to the PC and hacker driven stuff it is.

lampdemon and TCJJ like this.
  2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    That would probably mean more exclusive titles for xbox, so please no.

3. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    They could make the next xbox a living room optimized pc that can run windows software. Think of some other ways to make it appealing to people who already own a pc. If the pc gets all the benefits of xbox, xbox should have at least the software benefits of a pc. It could be like to a mac pc what ms surface is to the ipad or something. I'm sure there's some way to make it appealing.

4. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    But that's what the current xbox does... well kinda. You can compile and run open source windows (WUP) software if you activate the dev account for 20 or 30 bucks. I'm pretty sure that the big parts of the console gaming community don't care about windows software. They would use a PC or inhome streaming if they did.

5. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    It's a bit contradictory since they push player interaction so hard on Xbox. It's easier to find community posts/mixer streams (just RB/LB from the home screen) than to launch a game since Xbox for some reason hides your game list on a menu inside a menu which is also inside a menu.

For a moment there I thought they got rid of thousands of cheaters in PC gaming, almost had me there. For one, if you have the achievement for beating Sekiro, for instance, on Xbox/Playstation it means you earned it and not just "easy moded" your way out of it ( https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/5/18296678/sekiro-easy-mode-mod-pc ).

But even then I think folks at Microsoft are pretty happy as long as you're playing on Windows and offer xbox as an alternative for people on budget or who just prefer console gaming overall.

Last edited by netovsk, May 22, 2019
  6. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    So, here's why I think Microsoft released this article. Just recently they announced they finally worked out deals with Sony for cross platform multiplayer. That's awesome however, just after the announcement this article comes out? It's not a coincidence, Xbox has been known to be a toxic community and back in the day xbox would slap people with only 1 week- 1 month(rare) against being toxic, and most of the time people wouldn't even report, (11-13 year old me was completely toxic on MW2 and never got slapped with a ban yet, I know later on a lot of my school friends got banned from halo 4 toxicity and toxicity on Black ops 2 zombies).

To reissue a threat about toxicity in games however is not a coincidence as previously stated, Sony probably told Microsoft to get their communities in order because cross platforms... if there is a rise in toxicity on PS4 after the cross platforms, Sony is going to blame Microsoft and possibly cancel future plans (Sony pulled cross platform support from fortnite in the past so I think they'd pull support if Microsoft was not ready to combine platforms).

Last edited by coppertj, May 22, 2019
  7. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That's precisely what MS is afraid of. It's more economical to ban the very toxic people and have the mostly toxic people act a lot less toxic to MS's bottom line. Or they can go the Nintendo route with friends codes. That's not "hardcore" though.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    People who are toxic in online gaming situations should all be sterilized and never reproduce.

Tiger21820 likes this.
  9. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    nobody really likes nintendo's online system. I think the only reason most of the melee community went back to melee is because of how damn terrible the online service is.

10. RPG_FAN128

RPG_FAN128 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United States
    This is actually pretty interesting. We live in a world with both extremes. (1) Everything offends everybody. Innocent comments can be taken out of context and twisted into hate propaganda. Even respectful standards are viewed with disdain to those who do not have similar standards. And (2) Extremely toxic (and hence worthless human beings) think they can do and say anything their hearts desire without any thought to anyone but themselves. This label is a new one -- for the sake of "competitiveness" ? Nice.

I don't really play online, but when I do it is with people I actually know IRL. You know, people I would actually associate with IRL.

11. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Personally, I wouldn't know. I've generally avoided the online gaming community since even back in the day (read early 2000s) it could be pretty toxic. I at least understand the intention of Nintendo's friend system, even if I know it's a horribly clunky approach. Whitelists don't work and blacklists don't work, really. It's at least part of the reason I avoid the whole thing.

12. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    This. Instead of worrying about people getting sad over being called a faggot by a 12 year old, how about focus on not overworking your employees, and stop with the crunch time. If your game needs to meet a certain deadline, then stop being cheap, and hire some more people on. I feel bad more for over worked game devs, than I do of people crying over a preteen calling them a faggot. Grow a back bone, and use the damn mute button, ya pussy.

TCJJ likes this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    From where I sit "if you can't handle the heat then get out of the kitchen" works just as well in both scenarios.

Foxi4 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Here's how you combat toxic behaviour in games - you don't. Shit-talking, pranks of all-sorts and "picking on" the weak players have always been integral elements of all sports that are fun to play and watch. If I see a weak player on the enemy team, I will absolutely exploit that weakness, not because I'm an asshat but because it's a legitimate strategy. The enemy team has an obvious weak link and it would be stupid not to exploit that. If it's getting too hot, get out of the kitchen. I am so sick and tired of people complaining about toxicity online, as if it was everyone's job to make the matches fun for them. Here's a thought - get good.

TCJJ likes this.
  15. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I guess toxic people will remember that next time, when they are thinking about GBAtemp rules.

Dodain47 likes this.
  16. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Perhaps, but "being mean" isn't a reason to just start banning people and punishing them. You can mute and block people. Use that instead of having a nanny state (or company) looking out for you. This is how we end up with shitty legislation that makes society into a bigger shithole than it already is.

Free speech is a double-edged sword. If someone wants to exercise their free speech by being a dick to others, they can expect to be blocked and have nobody talking to them or even playing with them. Let them suffer the consequences of being an asshole - no need to start kicking them while they're down.

17. Tiger21820

Tiger21820 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2010
    United States
    AREA UNKNOWN
    Don’t forget: The ESRB said (Did they now?) "Game experience may change during online play"! If players didn't read the disclaimer, they are in no position to complain about anyone being mean to them! If they have a problem, report 'em, and block 'em!

18. Jordanm64

Jordanm64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2018
    Australia
    I miss 2008-2010 Xbox live.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Trying to think what time that would be. Probably around the time I was getting into the 360. We stuck in Rainbow 6 probably the first vegas or whatever the one before was. Had long played the local co-op mode because local co-op is awesome but online was not a common thing.

The amount of 14 year old Birmingham accented your mother jokes that came out of voice chat (this was before they refined voice chat selection for later games on such systems)... Only reason we turned it off in the end was to hear the game and someone sneaking up.

20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    don't buy or use xbox PROBLEM SOLVED!