xboxkey or usb loader on a premodded xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by kisamesama, Nov 18, 2011.

Nov 18, 2011
  1. kisamesama
    OP

Member kisamesama GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i am going to buy a premodded xbox360 console... no idea what modchip they have on it.. they just said it's the latest one... i wanted to know if i will be able to install xboxkey or any other usb loader on it even if it is modded?

edit: i meant xk3y or the dock version... is it possible to install those on an already modded xbox? so that i can also use my HDD to store the games

2. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    You need to find out what "premodded" means for the console you are buying. It probably just has a flashed DVD drive with the latest LT+ firmware. Make sure you aren't buying a console that is already banned from LIVE. Educate yourself or you will get ripped off.

You will need the DVD drive keys to set up your xk3y or 360dock so ask the person you are buying the console from to provide them if it is already flashed. Apart from that you will need to obtain the "stock" FW for the type of drive you will be hooking the xk3y/360dock in line with (search for it). So the answer to your main question is yes, it's just as easy to set up a xk3y/dock with a flashed DVD drive as it is with a stock drive. If it's some other type of "mod" then you will have to find out and go from there but it should be no problem.

3. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    ok thx.. the problem.. is that the store selling the modded xbox has no idea what modchip is on there... i asked what kind of modchip it was; the answer was the latest modchip that can play the latest games... -.- .. lol .. can i get the keys and stock FW for the drive by myself? i don't think the store will help me get them?.... (they said when a new firmware comes out, i need to reflash the drive and that will cost about 30 bucks... -.-) .... I will not use live as it's not supported in my country and i lag like hell anyway.

4. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Sounds like they are trying to play on your ignorance. A better question to ask them it what version of light touch plus is flashed to the DVD drive?

5. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    my worry is whether the success of installation of the xk3y will depend on the modchip used?

6. 431unknown

United States
    What fucken mod chip? Are you referring to a glitch chip?

7. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    ok will try to ask again what modchip they are using but i dun think they will know as it seems that they are not the ones doing the modding actually.

p.s. what's a glitch chip? so it does depend what modchip is installed to know whether xk3y will mount or not?

8. 431unknown

United States
    No it won't matter what chip is used. I don't think they are using anything other than Light Touch+ 2.0. All the xk3y does is emulate the DVD drive.

9. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    There's isn't a modchip! It is a DVD drive replacement firmware. Quite useless at the moment due to many attempts of Microsoft blocking it.
    Glitch is better, allows running of unassigned codes including emulators as well as xbox games off hard drive.

What store are you referring to?

10. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    ok thx man! i will buy the premodded xbox then... and aftewards will install the xk3y by myself.. does not seem to hard... thx again for your replies...

and i won't use xbox live; so i dun care if it is blocked for xbox live.

11. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    You will be able to install the xk3y physically by yourself but it won't work unless you have the DVD keys. Again, do a little research before you buy. You are better off finding someone in your area who can flash the drive and give you the keys instead of the people playing dumb at the "store".

12. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    i have seen a tutorial how to get the dvd keys... are you saying that if it is modded, i won't be able to get the key??

13. 431unknown

United States
    You'll still be able to get the key,but they should provide you with a copy of it. You should ask them too do that if you buy from them.

14. tajio

Member tajio GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I think the Xbox 360 that you are planning to buy does not have a modchip, but has a FLASHED custom firmware on the DVD drive. This will allow you to run "back ups" of your favourite games.

You will NOT be able to run the X360Key or X360Dock without the DVD keys. Ask the store for the keys or forever be an idiot.

15. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    In addition to the above, if they for some reason won't/can't supply you with the keys. (Or if you already bought it, and didn't ask.) There are methods of key extraction that you could use to get the keys yourself.

16. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Agree on that!

If your x360 is already flashed when you bought it, you can always extract the keys out of the flashed custom firmware on it.
    You also can then reflash your X360 drive back to Official Firmware, unless it was a swapped DVD-Drive with spoofed CFW, then you will have to buy an identic Drive that was original in the X360 when bought new
    When extracting the key from your drive, you can see if it's spoofed or not and what the original drive was, if it was spoofed.

17. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    cool thx! that's what i wanted to know... :)

18. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    do you have a good tutorial to extract the keys?