Hardware Xbox One X - BGA piece NFD740, please help me to find it !

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
I just got home from vacation yesterday and just got it soldered on the test board now. Next onto figuring out the pinout.
below is the correct pinout for the chip, updated on 05/16/22

xbox-x-esd-pin.jpg

Last edited by testerfan,
Reactions: FXDX and CurbCake

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
also, a bit of advice on wiring: secure the adapter board to the motherboard first, you don't want it dangling in the air with wires, that's a sure way to pull the pads off the board. Run wires (use 0.10mm enameled wire, if similar thickness insulated wire not available) to the end cap of the surrounding components where possible (which are almost all of them, except for B5) and directly to the pins of the port (for Pin 19 only), for Pin 13 run the wire to the top side of the R10 resistor (find it between two HDMI ports), and you can wire VDD_IC and VDD_5V directly to the test points if needed as well (find them under the power supply, C3 - to TP10/V_3P3STBY and C4 - to TP11/V_5P0)

CurbCake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, a bit of advice on wiring: secure the adapter board to the motherboard first, you don't want it dangling in the air with wires, that's a sure way to pull the pads off the board. Run wires (use 0.10mm enameled wire, if similar thickness insulated wire not available) to the end cap of the surrounding components where possible (which are almost all of them, except for B5) and directly to the pins of the port (for Pin 19 only), for Pin 13 run the wire to the top side of the R10 resistor (find it between two HDMI ports), and you can wire VDD_IC and VDD_5V directly to the test points if needed as well (find them under the power supply, C3 - to TP10/V_3P3STBY and C4 - to TP11/V_5P0)
When you say "Pin", are you referring to the pin numbers on the adapter board or the Datasheet for the HDMI2C1-6C1? I guess they are the same huh ?

*edit Oh wow, you mean the HDMI port... Glad I was already doing that xD

*edit2 With TP10/V_3P3STBY and TP11/V_5P0, there are two points then a little point to the left of it. Which one did you mean ?

88858aab4e569387bb88630d6e9f2ee7.png

Last edited by CurbCake,
Reactions: FXDX

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
*edit Oh wow, you mean the HDMI port... Glad I was already doing that xD

*edit2 With TP10/V_3P3STBY and TP11/V_5P0, there are two points then a little point to the left of it. Which one did you mean ?
1. i'm referring to the pin numbering of HDMI port (connect Pin 19 of the port to the HPD pin of the chip, Pin 13 to CEC).
2. Test points as marked by Microsoft on the motherboard, depending on where the adapter board will be it may be easier to get VDD_IC and VDD_5V for the chip from big solder points

xbox-x-tps.jpg

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
here is the updated bypass schematics, with added ESD protection for APU, SB IC and 5V OUT lines (alternatively can also add 5.6V Zener diode to protect HPD line). The Power Switch IC for 5V line is used to prevent TV/AV Receiver constantly getting power (from HDMI port) and searching/waiting for a video signal input when the system is off.
SOT23-5 and Zener diodes taken from PS4 system along with a resettable fuse, but can use any Power Switch IC (3.3-5.6V, with similar pinout) if have no access to PS4 donor board

xbox-x-bypass-text-wm.jpgxbox-x-bypass1-text-wm.jpg

Reactions: FXDX

venenodcuba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
it's not a MOSFET, it's an ESD Protection and Signal Booster for HDMI Source IC, made by STMicroelectronics, and 740 is just a production date code (2017, week 40), the NF is a correct marking for the IC (D is for manufacturing location), but you can't buy it, because STMicroelectronics hasn't released it to the public yet (there is no datasheet for it), so at this moment you can only get it from a donor board

HDMI2C4-5F2​

elephanttheif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
below is the correct pinout for the chip, updated on 05/16/22

View attachment 310228

The pin definitions seems to differ from the QFN chip you listed earlier, HDMI2C1-6C1. How does R_SDA_IC/R_SCL_IC differ from SDA_IC/SCL_IC? Are Aux_P/N the same as HEAC+/-? Since the QFN doesn't have enable/select functionality, I guess those can be ignored.

Or maybe I should just ask, has anybody worked out a block diagram or schematic of U21? Also, is the same IC used in Xbox Series X? Interestingly, they have the same reference designator. :)

venenodcuba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
The funny and funny thing:
- In the ONE X you can easily find the HDMI IC but not the booster.
- In the ONE S you can easily find the booster but not the HDMI IC.

semborski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got home from vacation yesterday and just got it soldered on the test board now. Next onto figuring out the pinout.
View attachment 291931
Did this qfn chip wired properly restore all the functionality of the xbox? Looking to do something like this on a xbox series x with a dead u21. I had it bypassed but looking to sell the console know and want full functionality.

elephanttheif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For ONE X > HDMIDP1-5F6
How did you come across the part number? Are you sure about it? I asked a contact at ST but he only told me it was similar to HDMI2C4-5F2.

Did this qfn chip wired properly restore all the functionality of the xbox? Looking to do something like this on a xbox series x with a dead u21. I had it bypassed but looking to sell the console know and want full functionality.
It seems like U21 is mostly TVS diodes, buffers, and level shifters. It should be able to work—I wanted to try it as well but I ended up selling the Xbox Series X as it was (with video but unable to display 4K). I suspected there might have been something wonky with the I2C portion.

venenodcuba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
How did you come across the part number? Are you sure about it? I asked a contact at ST but he only told me it was similar to HDMI2C4-5F2.

It seems like U21 is mostly TVS diodes, buffers, and level shifters. It should be able to work—I wanted to try it as well but I ended up selling the Xbox Series X as it was (with video but unable to display 4K). I suspected there might have been something wonky with the I2C portion.
from schematics

Attachments

• sshot-002.png
    sshot-002.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 244

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
For those looking to use HDMI2C1-6C1 in place of original U21 chip to have full functionality/video output capabilities, use the following guide to fix your system. Not all pins of the chip will be used, since we don't really care about CEC and HEAC/Utility lines (those lines are already protected on the motherboard by TVS diodes), all we care about is boosting CLK, DATA and HPD lines from 3.3V to 5V and getting 5V OUT on Pin 18 of HDMI port.
Difficulty: Advanced
Parts required: 1. HDMI2C1-6C1 chip. 2. QFN-16 breakout board or similar board capable of handling QFN-18 chip with 0.5mm pitch. 3. 0.1uF 10V (or 16V) 0402 capacitor and two 1.8k resistors. 4. Optional: Power Switch IC (found on PS4 board for 5V OUT/Pin 18 of HDMI port).
STEP 1. Prep: A) Secure HDMI2C1-6C1 chip to the breakout board with Pin 1 (FAULT) and Pin 14 (VDD_CEC) of the chip floating and not connected. B) On the breakout board: solder one side of the 1.8k resistors to the SDA and SCL points and link the other side of the resistors to the 5V_OUT rail. C) on the motherboard: replace C14 (for 5V_OUT) with 0.1uF 10V capacitor. D) link SCL_IC (E4) to R_SCL_IC (E5) and SDA_IC (E2) to R_SDA_IC (D5).
STEP 2. (OPTIONAL) HDMI2C1-6C1 chip is enabled as soon as VDD_5V comes in (which is a standby rail and always on when AC cord is plugged in to the power supply), so even if the system is not turned on - you will be getting 5V on Pin 18 (5V_OUT) of the HDMI port, and your TV will be constantly getting power and searching/awaiting video signal when the system is off. To remedy this - use Power Switch IC and wire it according to the diagram, this way our new VDD_5V will come in only when HDD is on.
STEP 3. Wire the motherboard to the breakout board (the way the chip is placed on the breakout board, the following pinout will be used: New TP1 is CEC_IC and TP16 is VDD_IC). Connect combined SDA_IC (E2/D5) to TP3, combined SCL_IC (E4/E5) to TP2, HPD_IC (B5) to TP4, HPD (A1) to TP8, SDA (C1) to TP9, SCL (D2) to TP 10, 5V_OUT (A3) to TP13, new VDD_5V to TP14, VDD_IC to TP16, and link TP11 to GND.
This guide is for Xbox One X motherboard, but obviously can be easily applied to Xbox Series S and X systems as well.

xbox-x-2c1-1-wm.jpgxbox-x-2c1-2-wm.jpgxbox-x-2c1-text-wm.jpg

venenodcuba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
For those looking to use HDMI2C1-6C1 in place of original U21 chip to have full functionality/video output capabilities, use the following guide to fix your system. Not all pins of the chip will be used, since we don't really care about CEC and HEAC/Utility lines (those lines are already protected on the motherboard by TVS diodes), all we care about is boosting CLK, DATA and HPD lines from 3.3V to 5V and getting 5V OUT on Pin 18 of HDMI port.
Difficulty: Advanced
Parts required: 1. HDMI2C1-6C1 chip. 2. QFN-16 breakout board or similar board capable of handling QFN-18 chip with 0.5mm pitch. 3. 0.1uF 10V (or 16V) 0402 capacitor and two 1.8k resistors. 4. Optional: Power Switch IC (found on PS4 board for 5V OUT/Pin 18 of HDMI port).
STEP 1. Prep: A) Secure HDMI2C1-6C1 chip to the breakout board with Pin 1 (FAULT) and Pin 14 (VDD_CEC) of the chip floating and not connected. B) On the breakout board: solder one side of the 1.8k resistors to the SDA and SCL points and link the other side of the resistors to the 5V_OUT rail. C) on the motherboard: replace C14 (for 5V_OUT) with 0.1uF 10V capacitor. D) link SCL_IC (E4) to R_SCL_IC (E5) and SDA_IC (E2) to R_SDA_IC (D5).
STEP 2. (OPTIONAL) HDMI2C1-6C1 chip is enabled as soon as VDD_5V comes in (which is a standby rail and always on when AC cord is plugged in to the power supply), so even if the system is not turned on - you will be getting 5V on Pin 18 (5V_OUT) of the HDMI port, and your TV will be constantly getting power and searching/awaiting video signal when the system is off. To remedy this - use Power Switch IC and wire it according to the diagram, this way our new VDD_5V will come in only when HDD is on.
STEP 3. Wire the motherboard to the breakout board (the way the chip is placed on the breakout board, the following pinout will be used: New TP1 is CEC_IC and TP16 is VDD_IC). Connect combined SDA_IC (E2/D5) to TP3, combined SCL_IC (E4/E5) to TP2, HPD_IC (B5) to TP4, HPD (A1) to TP8, SDA (C1) to TP9, SCL (D2) to TP 10, 5V_OUT (A3) to TP13, new VDD_5V to TP14, VDD_IC to TP16, and link TP11 to GND.
This guide is for Xbox One X motherboard, but obviously can be easily applied to Xbox Series S and X systems as well.

View attachment 323749View attachment 323750View attachment 323751
your contribution is appreciated although a connection diagram would be very useful, thinking a design of a pcb dedicated to this fix

AnHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate the info. However, I can only get 640 x 480 rez out of this. The Pictures and instructions are not overly clear.
Can we ask for a propper connection diagram some wires are going under the mod board and the written instructions aren't quite correct from what I can see.

Last edited by AnHero,
Reactions: venenodcuba

elephanttheif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from schematics
That's great! I didn't know there were schematics out there. Thanks.

your contribution is appreciated although a connection diagram would be very useful, thinking a design of a pcb dedicated to this fix
I had a similar thought. With a little flex board you could make it fairly simple to replace.

karizma

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
hello everything fits but it doesn't stay in 4k it goes back to 1080p
Post automatically merged:

hello everything fits but it doesn't stay in 4k it goes back to 1080p

seya

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Post automatically merged:

Please
What is the value of C15 & C24 capacitors XBOX?

Last edited by seya,

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr