Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
shot.png

The official requirements in order to play video games on the Xbox One have been posted on Microsoft's site. While one or two of these requirements (broadband connection, Kinect connected, etc.) have caused quite a stir already, it seems that's only part of the "new vision" Microsoft has.

In addition to waiving your class-action lawsuit rights upon activation of the console, the system requires a 720P+ display (it will have no SD mode), TV play needs your tuner to plug into the Xbox One with HDMI, and the required Xbox One service will only be available in select regions, meaning users who import will likely need a proxy or VPN to keep their Xbox One connected through in order to keep playing their games if they don't live in one of the supported countries.
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Russia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
Source

Reactions: Fishaman P

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like Microsoft is trying to make this the worst console in history just to see if they can still actually sell it.

On a related note, what word is there on the PS4 supporting standard definition picture? Looking at the back of the system in pictures, I don't exactly see a place for anything but HDMI to plug in, but I may have been looking at one of the ports wrong.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So among other things half the world (including East Europe) gets fucked over. Okay. I think that "no suing" thing was in Sony's TOS as well, wasn't it? And 720p only, huh. I still have an old CRT... but I wasn't planning on getting a One anyway. Besides, my TV doesn't even have a HDMI port so I wouldn't be able to connect it anyway.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
I feel like Microsoft is trying to make this the worst console in history just to see if they can still actually sell it.

On a related note, what word is there on the PS4 supporting standard definition picture? Looking at the back of the system in pictures, I don't exactly see a place for anything but HDMI to plug in, but I may have been looking at one of the ports wrong.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/1...raight-from-sony-system-has-500gb-hard-drive/

AV output
HDMI out port
DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port
for the ps4 it look like it needs HDMI as well

i think the Aux port is for the Ps4Eye

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I looked into it real quick, and yeah, PS4 only supports HD as well, so anybody with a CRT best be looking at getting a new TV or consider a Wii U as their next gen choice. It's not a surprise that SD is on its way out though. Let's face it: HD has become very main stream in the market, and I personally know very few console gamers beside myself who still have a CRT that they game on.

Edit: Slightly ninja'd.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Someone did mention this new link somewhere else but I reckon it warrants a thread of its.

Though no less distasteful the class action thing is quite common ( http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/valve-to-steam-users-no-class-action-suits/ and http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20107825-1/questioning-sonys-new-class-action-waiver/ being Valve's and Sony's equivalents).

That is a large chunk of Europe missing though (Portugal -- there are a not insignificant amount of games with a translation there), Poland... actually basically everything east of Germany and south of Finland. Doubly amusing is if it is not the UK, France or Germany then chances are the game is developed in a lot of those if it is made in Europe.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So definitely no XboxOne for all of our guys/gals over in Afghanistan/Iraq ect which is a real shame

HD only was expected to be fair but that list is surprisingly short

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot by excluding 2 of the fastest growing game markets, China and India. Sure, they plan to set up the infrastructure for the Asian markets sometime in 2014 but that is almost a year after XBone's release. Compared to the PS4, whose lack of on-line requirements means that they could get a PS4 at launch day and it's attractive $399 price tag, this might just prove to be a severe blow to Microsoft especially with the Asian casual gamer market whom by then would have probably bought themselves a Wii U or PS4.

Reactions: Sagat

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
can microsoft not see that they're digging their own graves in the console market? maybe they've had enough and this is their way of saying we're leaving :creep:

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
But hey guys, who needs rights and privacy and ease of use and all that when you have Halo and Forza? Right?

Honestly, I'm still getting it, even if it's just for Forza. I hate the console, it looks like shit, has features I'll never use, but that 1 game is what I really want.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, too bad for MS.
You can't waive your right to a class action case in Europe (or at least in Holland).

Also, if I understand correctly.
You need to connect your cable/satalite/thingy to the decoder box and the HDMI output from the decoder has to be connected to the XBone, which in turn connects to the tv and thus handles every television control?
That would mean that a lot of costumers of Caiway (my tv provider) can't even use it... as their cable is digital, but doesn't require a decoder box. The TV itself can decode everything if it is equipped with a DVB-C (HD) tuner.
((all standard channels are without coding), only paid channels need a decoder, which can be plugged in the TV (if it is a somewhat recent one)).

I think MS went beyond Full Retard with the One...

Reactions: Sagat and Bladexdsl

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that the list of countries are for launch only. They plan on releasing the system in other foreign and Asian markets in 2014.

can microsoft not see that they're digging their own graves in the console market? maybe they've had enough and this is their way of saying we're leaving :creep:

Microsoft understands that they are changing the system, and that consumers do not like change. They hope you'll come to accept their vision once you see the benefits, like you did with the Zune and Windows Vista.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Keep in mind that the list of countries are for launch only. They plan on releasing the system in other foreign and Asian markets in 2014.

Microsoft understands that they are changing the system, and that consumers do not like change. They hope you'll come to accept their vision once you see the benefits, like you did with the Zune and Windows Vista.
LMAO you work for them or what?! and I will never accept their VISION (fuck up more like it) and so will over 9000 million others. and I've never owned a zune or windows vista :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wsg boys