1. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Sony Computer Entertainment.

Both consoles output video in HD by default, there's only so much you can do to scale down to SD and nobody's going to go through the extra trouble just so that the cavemen catch up with reality. There's no reason not to own an HD TV in this day and age - save your CRT beasts for retro systems. I don't treat this as "forcing" anything on the user, it's just "moving away from obsolete technology". ;)

2. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    Maybe the worst company award will be taken from EA and given to Microsoft. That would be quite the achievement.

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    What is HD and what is proper PAL is not that different. Moreover many games are not in HD and are something lower and upscaled along the way (this especially on games the last few years as the consoles begin to show their age when used with modern development techniques). Also, as others have mentioned, this is not just "HD" TV but modern ones -- TVs have long been sold as long term investments as far as household goods go so some resistance is justifiable. I am drawn to wonder if I could stick a HDCP stripper in line and fire it into a DVI port though.

Well it is not like Microsoft and Poland do not have a history
    http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/170820-ms-photoshop-blunder_350.jpg
    [​IMG]

EZ-Megaman, Sterling and Foxi4 like this.
  4. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No Japan? Seriously?

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
  6. emigre

emigre i am a free i am not man a number

United Kingdom

Yeah cause placing any emphasis on a home console launch in Japan is anything other than a bad idea.

7. Jax

Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    TIL my country is even shittier than I thought

8. AlhazenTheMad

AlhazenTheMad Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The Xbox One itself is a bad idea; it is so restrictive and anti-consumer. The Japanese people will not buy this crap. Additionally, it is big, cumbersome, and unsightly to look at, but that is just my opinion.

9. emigre

emigre i am a free i am not man a number

United Kingdom

The Japanese gaming market has retreated to handhelds. Last gen the biggest two selling consoles were the handhelds. And now look at how well the 3DS is doing. The Xbone could be the greatest console of all time but it won't sell in Japan so place the emphasis on NA and EU. Which is a the correct decision. Sony are doing the same with Europe being upgraded to a priority market whereas previously Europe had been the poor relation. The Japanese people won;t buy the Xbone because of it's issues, they won't buy it because they are relatively apathetic towards home consoles.

10. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

You can also add in the fact that the Xbox brand as a whole is a very western console series. The game releases on them don't really lend themselves to general Japanese consumer interest. Even by console standards, if I remember correctly, the 360 has sold abysmally in Japan simply due to the fact that it has little that would naturally appeal to a Japanese gamer. I don't imagine the Xbox One will be any different, other issues or not.

EZ-Megaman and Foxi4 like this.
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Pretty much. If "Monster Hunter: Frontier" couldn't give the XBox 360 the push it needed in Japan, nothing will. "Der Krieg ist verloren".

12. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Cote d'Ivoire
    Xbox go home

Jax likes this.
  13. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I think it's funny that most people are pretending that Sony isn't doing the same thing with HDTV's. Nintendo is the only company that still supports SDTV and early HDTV.

EZ-Megaman, xwatchmanx and Sicklyboy like this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    We should just stop pretending that we need SDTV support just like we shouldn't pretend that we need floppy disk drives in today's desktops. We really, really don't.

The games render beyond the standard SD spectrum of resolutions and as such they cannot be supported properly on an SDTV without downscaling the image and that's that - sometimes you have to let go of old standards and embrace the new ones.

GameWinner likes this.
  15. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I think they would just say it instead of wasting money.

16. Don't think that's the best example, Monster Hunter on consoles aren't as popular as the handheld ones, not to mention that Frontier was a MMO spinoff. Portable 3rd HD and Tri did about half a million and a million respectively while Portable 3rd managed to rake a whopping 4 million in sales.

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I suppose you're right, but still, it is a huge franchise (even if not that popular in the west) and one would expect that an exclusive like that would draw attention... and it didn't. Asia's big on MMO's y'know.

18. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I'm talking about supporting component. However, I believe a lot of people have more than one TV in their house, but only one which is an HDTV. It sucks that they won't be able to move them around.

I imagine that almost everyone interested in the PS4/X1 will have HDTV's, but it still sucks having less support.

Foxi4 likes this.
  19. chyyran

chyyran somehow a weeb now.
    Developer

Canada
    Awesome, not only does it become a brick no matter what after 15 years, but it'll become a brick anyways if you don't live in those countries :D

20. Speedster

Speedster Hack ALL THE THINGS

United States
    Yeah, ALL of those pre-orders!:P

AbyssalMonkey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Requirements, Official, Rights