Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Force people to get an HDTV? $300
Force people to get Broadband? ~$400-500/year depending on the ISP
Force people to to pay for a secure VPN? ~$200/year or so
Force people to use Kinnect and waive their personal rights? Priceless

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Sony Computer Entertainment.

For anybody still unclear about the required HDMI input:
Both the PS4 and the Xbox One will require an HDMI input. There will be no standard component cable, nor will there be a way to use them on either console. This isn't just something you can get angry at Microsoft over.
Both consoles output video in HD by default, there's only so much you can do to scale down to SD and nobody's going to go through the extra trouble just so that the cavemen catch up with reality. There's no reason not to own an HD TV in this day and age - save your CRT beasts for retro systems. I don't treat this as "forcing" anything on the user, it's just "moving away from obsolete technology". ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got two things to say
- anyone without a HDTV get one, it's 2013 I can't play on SD. It's as much as a step back as playing in black and white, games are designed for HDTV now and there cheap as dirt.

What is HD and what is proper PAL is not that different. Moreover many games are not in HD and are something lower and upscaled along the way (this especially on games the last few years as the consoles begin to show their age when used with modern development techniques). Also, as others have mentioned, this is not just "HD" TV but modern ones -- TVs have long been sold as long term investments as far as household goods go so some resistance is justifiable. I am drawn to wonder if I could stick a HDCP stripper in line and fire it into a DVI port though.

No Poland?

Oh-ho! Ah-ha! Microsoft is pulling an XBox 1 (appropriate, since this is XBox One), this is the second time they're not launching XBox live in my country. You have got yo be kidding me, this is just rich! :rofl:

Well it is not like Microsoft and Poland do not have a history
http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/170820-ms-photoshop-blunder_350.jpg
170820-ms-photoshop-blunder_350.jpg

AlhazenTheMad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah cause placing any emphasis on a home console launch in Japan is anything other than a bad idea.

The Xbox One itself is a bad idea; it is so restrictive and anti-consumer. The Japanese people will not buy this crap. Additionally, it is big, cumbersome, and unsightly to look at, but that is just my opinion.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Xbox One itself is a bad idea; it is so restrictive and anti-consumer. The Japanese people will not buy this crap. Additionally, it is big, cumbersome, and unsightly to look at, but that is just my opinion.

The Japanese gaming market has retreated to handhelds. Last gen the biggest two selling consoles were the handhelds. And now look at how well the 3DS is doing. The Xbone could be the greatest console of all time but it won't sell in Japan so place the emphasis on NA and EU. Which is a the correct decision. Sony are doing the same with Europe being upgraded to a priority market whereas previously Europe had been the poor relation. The Japanese people won;t buy the Xbone because of it's issues, they won't buy it because they are relatively apathetic towards home consoles.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The Japanese gaming market has retreated to handhelds. Last gen the biggest two selling consoles were the handhelds. And now look at how well the 3DS is doing. The Xbone could be the greatest console of all time but it won't sell in Japan so place the emphasis on NA and EU. Which is a the correct decision. Sony are doing the same with Europe being upgraded to a priority market whereas previously Europe had been the poor relation. The Japanese people won;t buy the Xbone because of it's issues, they won't buy it because they are relatively apathetic towards home consoles.
You can also add in the fact that the Xbox brand as a whole is a very western console series. The game releases on them don't really lend themselves to general Japanese consumer interest. Even by console standards, if I remember correctly, the 360 has sold abysmally in Japan simply due to the fact that it has little that would naturally appeal to a Japanese gamer. I don't imagine the Xbox One will be any different, other issues or not.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can also add in the fact that the Xbox brand as a whole is a very western console series. The game releases on them don't really lend themselves to general Japanese consumer interest. Even by console standards, if I remember correctly, the 360 has sold abysmally in Japan simply due to the fact that it has little that would naturally appeal to a Japanese gamer. I don't imagine the Xbox One will be any different, other issues or not.

Pretty much. If "Monster Hunter: Frontier" couldn't give the XBox 360 the push it needed in Japan, nothing will. "Der Krieg ist verloren".

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think it's funny that most people are pretending that Sony isn't doing the same thing with HDTV's. Nintendo is the only company that still supports SDTV and early HDTV.

We should just stop pretending that we need SDTV support just like we shouldn't pretend that we need floppy disk drives in today's desktops. We really, really don't.

The games render beyond the standard SD spectrum of resolutions and as such they cannot be supported properly on an SDTV without downscaling the image and that's that - sometimes you have to let go of old standards and embrace the new ones.

Reactions: GameWinner
D

Deleted_171835

Pretty much. If "Monster Hunter: Frontier" couldn't give the XBox 360 the push it needed in Japan, nothing will. "Der Krieg ist verloren".
Don't think that's the best example, Monster Hunter on consoles aren't as popular as the handheld ones, not to mention that Frontier was a MMO spinoff. Portable 3rd HD and Tri did about half a million and a million respectively while Portable 3rd managed to rake a whopping 4 million in sales.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't think that's the best example, Monster Hunter on consoles aren't as popular as the handheld ones, not to mention that Frontier was a MMO spinoff. Portable 3rd HD and Tri did about half a million and a million respectively while Portable 3rd managed to rake a whopping 4 million in sales.

I suppose you're right, but still, it is a huge franchise (even if not that popular in the west) and one would expect that an exclusive like that would draw attention... and it didn't. Asia's big on MMO's y'know.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
We should just stop pretending that we need SDTV support just like we shouldn't pretend that we need floppy disk drives in today's desktops. We really, really don't.

The games render beyond the standard SD spectrum of resolutions and as such they cannot be supported properly on an SDTV without downscaling the image and that's that - sometimes you have to let go of old standards and embrace the new ones.
I'm talking about supporting component. However, I believe a lot of people have more than one TV in their house, but only one which is an HDTV. It sucks that they won't be able to move them around.

I imagine that almost everyone interested in the PS4/X1 will have HDTV's, but it still sucks having less support.

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat