Xbox One nearing 10 Million sales, Sales triple since price cut

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Nov 13, 2014.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    [​IMG]
    The Xbox One has been the brunt of sales jokes for months now, with people citing the Playstation 4's impressive 13 million sales since launch as a feat Microsoft couldn't dream of reaching. Xbox has been keeping quiet about its sales numbers for some time now, refusing to update its 5 million sales number from the summer time. But, coming close to the anniversary of its launch, they have now stated that, with the help of serious price cuts, and some killer IP's on the way, they have almost reached the 10 million mark for their console.​
    :arrow: Source
    Typically, sales aren't something we tend to report on, but the drastic uprising of the Xbox One's numbers is pretty noteworthy. This puts the Xbox One back in its second place mark of the console race, but the competition this Holiday season is sure to be heated, with huge titles coming in from Sony and Nintendo as well. Competition is always a good thing, as it encourages companies to continue to competitively price, and put out awesome content for its users.​
    The 8th gen of consoles is nearing its one year mark, so how have you felt about its history so far? Have you invested in a Wii U, Xbox One, or Playstation 4, or will this holiday entice you to buy one?​

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Sold to retailers is nice, sold to End Users would've been better. With that said, I would be surprised if the Xbox One doesn't surpass the Wii U on sales charts by the end of 2015 - we have a great year ahead of us with lots of high-profile releases on the Xbox One and the price cut is definitely making a difference.

Gahars and Tom Bombadildo like this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I've been thinking about grabbing myself an Xbone sometime in the future, a few upcoming games that really tickle my fancy. Maybe I'll get myself a nice Christmas gift...

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's well-worth it just for the Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 in my book. I don't care what people say about 343, I want to play all of those games... immediately. :rofl2:

5. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    you should care Foxi, if you had played all the originals and then 4... you'd know :cry:
    Multiplayer wise theyre fine anyway.
    We just don't talk about the story :ninja:

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can be very forgiving as long as the game's fun. ;)

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Indeed, I've seen some gameplay videos of the remastered 2 and...dem cutscenes [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And agreed on people crying over 343 (read: chavo crying ;O;O;O;O; ) I personally enjoyed 4 for the most part, at least it was more fun than 3 was.

8. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I feel like it's misleading, like when Nintendo reports their systems shipped trying to act all big about their sales numbers when maybe half of that has actually left store shelves. Systems on shelves and in stockrooms don't move software. Before I read it, I was going to call bullshit on them selling three or four million Xbox Ones to actual people in the brief period since they started their promotional price cut.

9. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    I feel like know that it has some outstanding games on the way as well as a competitive price that, there is no reason not to get one. It's a pretty good console, with some really nice games. I will definabley try to pick one up over Christmas.

10. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Sold to... end users??
    :tpi:

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I would say something about bells and ends, but I'll leave that to your imagination and Google-fu. :rofl2:

Skelletonike likes this.
  12. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

If I wanted Call of Duty, I'd play Call of Duty.

Which I do. Some years. So, uh, take that, 343.

WiiCube_2013 and chavosaur like this.
  13. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Is there any JRPG coming to X1? Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 are definitely standout titles for X1, but I wonder if there is any JRPG love on X1.

14. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    So, how much is "nearing 10 million" to retailers, exactly? They are doing pretty well according to places like VGChartz, but this makes it sound like it's been selling more than the PS4 in such a period of time.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    See, that's the clever trick - "sold to retailers". That does not equal "sold to consumers", it equals "the systems are in warehouses, they're just not our warehouses". It's also pretty natural to expect - the Holiday season is coming, of course retailers are stocking up. That being said, the price cut is definitely driving consumer sales, however high or low they might be and this'll be an interesting season alright - can't help but wonder what the sales results will be after Santa's done doing his thing.

16. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Xbone, so close, yet so far :c

17. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Isn't the title misleading? It's sold to the retailers not to the customers. I think IGN made the same mistake on their YouTube video.

I think even the Wii U as bad as it is right now might be able to be more lucrative thanks to Super Smash Bros. which is coming just before Christmas when people usually go apeshit and spend their money as if there's no other time to give gifts. Great business for retailers, they love making money, like who doesn't!

18. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    My Wii u gets everday play around my house.
    I just love the Wii u enviroment, miiverse is a blast and I can sometime spend several hours, checking screenshots and artwork users post.

In terms of games its also very rewarding, some e-shop titles are awesome and downright gems.
    I only wished Ninty made the eshop more "browsable' for itls games. In general stuff is "hidden" .
    You have to use the search funtion to get to the good stuff, but it's there.

With every update,, the system presenst more "Nintendo feel".
    Pushing 40, I cannot help experiencing some sort of SNES feel.
    I think it has something to do with the quality of material, wich is top notch in my book.
    If you had asked this me a year ago, I would probably said you were mad!
    But luckely the game library expanded, and everything is quality.
    The system is more stable and matured beautifully.
    The Wiiu gamepad is an innovation in its own right, it CAN be used originally but for most games it just is used to play off tv.
    Free online play, wich is excellent.

For my PS4 I can only tell that the system severely lacks proper quality games.
    I felt right at home, maily because the gui has basicly the same layout as my PS3.
    The PS4 Controller is the MOST comfortable controller,even before the gamecube controller, in my experience.
    Kudos to SONY for the built quality of its products, everything feels solid.
    The system is probably the most powerfull of all homeconsoles, but sadly it doesn't shows it yet.
    I think it's very comparable with the other 2 consoleds.
    The main reason the system does'nt get much playtime in our house is for the lack of couch multiplayer games.
    Also the fact there are now costs involved to play most games online is a let down.
    Most users might not expect PAYING for Sony's online services as they were mostly free in the PS3 era.

Xbox...ONE. same story as with PS4 as of now but the system has allready some exclusive stuff coming.
    As of recent I started enjoying my xbox 360, bought a bunch of titles, but most of them were for completing some series to acomplimnet my Wii u titles.
    Mass effect, Batman, Assasins creed, Darksiders, DIRT CHEAP!!!
    Compared to Wii u it's starts showing it's age though, but still a very stable system with a great library of games.
    Some games had that Nitntendo "feel" wich surpised me to be honest. I never had that with any of my PS3 titles.....
    Quality games all around.
    The biggest let down for me was the costly online subscription Xbox Live is overpriced IMHO.
    Again Kudos to Nintendo for the way they service their customers.

19. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Well, they also mention "shortly", which in the game industry, can be days, or weeks, or even months. So that 10 million shipped may not actually happen for quite a bit.

20. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    This was why system sales sold to retailer threads were banned from the temp :tpi:

WiiCube_2013 likes this.