Hardware Xbox One leaking liquid

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's... odd-bizzare. It must be melted gear grease or something, as mentioned on Wololo - I can't think of anything that could leak from a system other than grease (covers the disc drive gears, there's also a bit of it on the fan motor), capacitor liquid or thermal paste... but it would have to be a really, really shitty thermal paste to melt or terrible capacitors to leak so early on, so grease seems like a likely culprit.

nicklesminer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The picture looks odd. Its definitely not leaking anything as the spot is on the top. It looks more like someone spilled something on it and wants to try to get Microsoft to fix it. That's not to say there isn't an issue as I don't know if there actually is or not, but leaking should definitely come from the bottom or the sides and not the top. But it could be that there is some other issue at hand that's causing it. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge might be able to figure it out.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
It must be melted gear grease or something, as mentioned on Wololo - I can't think of anything that could leak from a system other than grease (covers the disc drive gears, there's also a bit of it on the fan motor), capacitor liquid or thermal paste

There's a lot of it, though, and that's definitely the top of the console. You can see the Xbox logo in the lower left corner of the second photo. This would suggest condensation. If you look at a teardown of an Xbox One, that's where the ginormous fan and heat sink are. Maybe this person's place is crazy humid? Just about the only thing that could have evaporated from there is the thermal paste, but like you said, it would have to be one shit paste to do that. They're not called thermal just because it sounds cool.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a lot of it, though, and that's definitely the top of the console. You can see the Xbox logo in the lower left corner of the second photo. This would suggest condensation. If you look at a teardown of an Xbox One, that's where the ginormous fan and heat sink are. Maybe this person's place is crazy humid? Just about the only thing that could have evaporated from there is the thermal paste, but like you said, it would have to be one shit paste to do that. They're not called thermal just because it sounds cool.
Condensation actually sounds plausible, but the system appears to be very well-ventilated - it's practically one huge vent. It's a possibility though...

...better stuff it with some silica gel bags or rice. :tpi:

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Many newly released stuff faced problems here in Brazil due to the hot weather and the habit of not have air conditioning (on some states like mine people usualy dont buy it for a reason that I dont know). Some early HP notebooks for example leaked stuff like this xbox pictures when we used it on summer (and we are at summertime here).

So maybe it has something to do with air temperature. X360 overheated too on beginning I think.

All I can say is that it mine xbox survived a 39ºC (102ºF) for 10 days, but now that I saw this pictures, I'll not take this risk anymore.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the XBone have a heat pipe with the heat sink? Entirely possible that the heat pipe broke in some way, which could explain the liquid, and I suppose that liquid evaporating via the heat from the console running would cause it to seem to "leak out from the top".

But that's sort of a stretch.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbone producing Xsemen?

3rd world sweatshop worker included a hidden "surprise" inside?

Sony's hired ninjas to sneak into Xboner's homes and hock a loogie on the system?

Joking aside, honestly looks like someone set a drink there and it sweat onto the vents. If that's actually coming from inside the system, that's just bizarre, and MS needs to jump on fixing this before they wind up with another RROD debacle on their hands. Consoles shouldn't leak.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Chrono Trigger