Tutorial Xbox One Internal Hard Drive Upgrade or Repair: Build any size drive that works on any console

JW0914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would never have thought of that =]
  • Then the only thing I'd recommend is buying some rubber squares (can be found at hardware stores, walmart, etc. in a multi-pack with 4" X 4" pieces of rubbr), cutting four 1/2" X 1/2" squares out, and using each in between the casing and HDD.
As far as compatibility, provided there's enough room for the drive with an air gap on either side, there shouldn't be any issue. IIRC when I read through the script code and readme, I think 5TB HDDs require one of the non-conventional options when running the script

Last edited by JW0914,

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, I've done it to my Xbox One S which didn't have a working drive, it gives me error E100 00000703 80910008. The ODD doesn't pull the disc automatically, I have to press the eject button twice for it to pull my disc, but other than that it's just fine, the disc spins, laser is working, it ejects the disc fine and I think the drive PCB is good as well (at least it gets detected, the console takes more time to throw up the error with drive disconnected than it does when I connect power and data cables). So, is it possible to just swap my ODD with a working one to finish the update? Could I install the HDD into an OG Xone to finish the setup and then put it back to the One S? Any help is appreciated!

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ODD can simply be disconnected... it doesn't have to be connected for the rebuild of the OS.
I tried leaving it disconnected as well, still no dice. Should I wait for a new update or should I just ditch this console and buy another one?
EDIT: It was already on last system update with dead HDD when I started.

Last edited by patricksouza1805,

JW0914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried leaving it disconnected as well, still no dice. Should I wait for a new update or should I just ditch this console and buy another one?
That's because the issue is not your ODD, but the A & B folders on the System Update partition... it wouldn't matter if you swapped the HDD into another X or S (OG XB1 will likely not work, as the vhd's are different due to the different hardware and drivers.. it's not like swapping between PCs)

When you state the S didn't have a working drive, do you still have the drive?
  • If so, delete all files from the new HDD's System Update partition, then copy all files from the old HDD's System Update partition to the new one.
  • If not, you're gonna have to watch the OP's YouTube videos to try and copy what he did, however I can tell you from experience with the OG XB1, without the System Update partition files from the old HDD, it's a pain to get the new HDD to work right (it will eventually, but it's a long trial and error process, so patience is a must =])
    • You're gonna need the OSU1, OSU2, and OSU3 files, and to have something to reference and go off of, take a look at the wiki I wrote for the OG XB1 HDD replacement
      • DO NOT follow the steps, as some are not compatible with the X and S, and I haven't had time to compare the steps to what's required for the S and X yet

Last edited by JW0914,

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's because the issue is not your ODD, but the A & B folders on the System Update partition... it wouldn't matter if you swapped the HDD into another X or S (OG XB1 will likely not work, as the vhd's are different due to the different hardware and drivers.. it's not like swapping between PCs)

When you state the S didn't have a working drive, do you still have the drive?
  • If so, delete all files from the new HDD's System Update partition, then copy all files from the old HDD's System Update partition to the new one.
  • If not, you're gonna have to watch the OP's YouTube videos to try and copy what he did, however I can tell you from experience with the OG XB1, without the System Update partition files from the old HDD, it's a pain to get the new HDD to work right (it will eventually, but it's a long trial and error process, so patience is a must =])
    • You're gonna need the OSU1, OSU2, and OSU3 files, and to have something to reference and go off of, take a look at the wiki I wrote for the OG XB1 HDD replacement
      • DO NOT follow the steps, as some are not compatible with the X and S, and I haven't had time to compare the steps to what's required for the S and X yet
      • OSU1: https //download.microsoft.com/download/D/F/7/DF7064D0-F50E-48E2-B6AE-31CAD3C3C435/OSU1.zip
      • OSU2: https //download.microsoft.com/download/8/2/9/829B7C2F-BDEA-4A5B-9EC3-7594412EFD71/OSU2.zip
      • OSU3: https //download microsoft.com/download/8/2/9/829B7C2F-BDEA-4A5B-9EC3-7594412EFD71/OSU3.zip
I don't have the old drive, it was really dead, the One S wouldn't boot with it, the 360 gave me error E68, the PC wouldn't recognize it (not even in the BIOS nor in the disk management, diskpart didn't find it either)

JW0914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have the old drive, it was really dead, the One S wouldn't boot with it, the 360 gave me error E68, the PC wouldn't recognize it (not even in the BIOS nor in the disk management, diskpart didn't find it either)
Why would you try it in a 360... of course that wouldn't work, as the 360 use a FAT32 fs.
  • On top of that, you can't just plop an HDD into a 360, as you must re-write the drive identification since the 360 was locked to specific HDD models
You're gonna need to follow the steps under the bullet "If not..."
  • I'd be curious if anyone has found a way to write to the NAND flash via serial yet, as what's causing your issue is the files in the A & B folders don't match the rebuild files on the NAND flash (the NAND flash was successfully read from a few months after the OG XB1 was released).

Last edited by JW0914,

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why would you try it in a 360... of course that wouldn't work, as the 360 use a FAT32 fs.

You're gonna need to follow the steps under the bullet "If not..."
It's an RGH system, it was supposed to at least boot the system from NAND and then give me the option to format it. So, I'm gonna need OSU1, 2 and 3 to get it working?

JW0914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an RGH system, it was supposed to at least boot the system from NAND and then give me the option to format it. So, I'm gonna need OSU1, 2 and 3 to get it working?
The system is booting from NAND.... WinRE and the EFI boot files, among other things, are contained on the NAND flash.

Yes, and like I said, this will be a process of trial and error and it will eventually work, but patience is a must =]

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The system is booting from NAND.... WinRE and the EFI boot files, among other things, are contained on the NAND flash.

Yes, and like I said, this will be a process of trial and error and it will eventually work, but patience is a must =]
I'm not really the patient kind of guy, but I paid around $160 for it (new system in my country is about $480, which is pretty expensive), so I think I'll keep on trying. If I can't get it to work I'm gona sell it "as is" and buy a new system, at least it will have M$ warranty

JW0914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really the patient kind of guy, but I paid around $160 for it (new system in my country is about $480, which is pretty expensive), so I think I'll keep on trying. If I can't get it to work I'm gona sell it "as is" and buy a new system, at least it will have M$ warranty
You'll get it to work eventually, as you just have to find the correct combination of files in the A & B folders, along with the correct updater vhd in the root of System Update.
  • I do highly recommend watching the YouTube videos of the OP, as he does show how to rebuild without a working drive.
Folder A contains the files from the previous update, whereas Folder B contains the files from the current update
  • Folder A: Empty => Folder B OSU1
  • Folder A: OSU1 => Folder B OSU2
  • Folder A: OSU2 => Folder B OSU3

Last edited by JW0914,

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You'll get it to work eventually, as you just have to find the correct combination of files in the A & B folders, along with the correct updater vhd in the root of System Update.
  • I do highly recommend watching the YouTube videos of the OP, as he does show how to rebuild without a working drive.
Folder A contains the files from the previous update, whereas Folder B contains the files from the current update
  • Folder A: Empty => Folder B OSU1
  • Folder A: OSU1 => Folder B OSU2
  • Folder A: OSU2 => Folder B OSU3
The error screen says it was already in the latest public update, the HDD is new, already partitioned with OP's script, So I need to download OSU1, 2 and 3 from M$ and then one of these 3 folders combination should work? Right now I have put the latest OSU1 files on both folders A and B. Sorry you're having to spoon-feed me, but I got this One S 3 days ago and couldn't even get to the dashboard yet

JW0914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The error screen says it was already in the latest public update, the HDD is new, already partitioned with OP's script, So I need to download OSU1, 2 and 3 from M$ and then one of these 3 folders combination should work? Right now I have put the latest OSU1 files on both folders A and B. Sorry you're having to spoon-feed me, but I got this One S 3 days ago and couldn't even get to the dashboard yet
As I stated, watch the OP's Youtube videos... I cannot walk you through this step by step. What you will need to do is try different combinations of the A & B folders, and once the right combination occurs, the OS rebuild will occur. As I said, it's trial and error.

I did forget to mention one thing... once you finish with the OP's scripts, remove the drive letter from every partition, then unmount the drive from Windows via the "Remove USB storage" or something similar to that (there should be an icon collapsed task area next to the clock on the task bar). Do not simply unplug the drive from the PC, without first unmounting the drive.
  • You can either remove the drive letters via Disk Management [Win]+[X] or diskpart

Last edited by JW0914,

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As I stated, watch the OP's Youtube videos... I cannot walk you through this step by step. What you will need to do is try different combinations of the A & B folders, and once the right combination occurs, the OS rebuild will occur. As I said, it's trial and error.

I did forget to mention one thing... once you finish with the OP's scripts, remove the drive letter from every partition, then unmount the drive from Windows via the "Remove USB storage" or something similar to that (there should be an icon collapsed task area next to the clock on the task bar). Do not simply unplug the drive from the PC, without first unmounting the drive.
  • You can either remove the drive letters via Disk Management [Win]+[X] or diskpart
Turning off and then removing wouldn't be the same, since there would still be letters assigned to it, right? If so, it may be the problem since I didn't remove the letters from any partitions
EDIT: I'm using SATA directly to motherboard

patricksouza1805

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This was in my System Support partition:

ODDFW update sequence: 21.
FOUND DeviceInstance AHCI\Port\0
Got PDO: \Device\00000017
Drive type detected: Elk.
Drive is Locked!
Nvkey is Programmed!
Found firmware FW_0001.bin.
Firmware version match, no FW update is needed
Update is not neccessary.
Drive is Locked!
Nvkey is Programmed!
ODD token found in factory settings, consider ODD is paired.
PV+ console already locked, skip lock down.
Auth IOCTL 000240C4 failed, error = e0e80085
IOddDriverApi::DriveAuthPowerOn failed
ODDFW update failed, hr = 80910008, retry again in two seconds.

I think the "Auth IOCTL 000240C4 failed" means "input/output controller", which might be the bad component in my ODD (disc sensor). Also, it says ODDFW update failed, with the 80910008 code, it's starting to make some sense.

Last edited by patricksouza1805,

pcotegts

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the OP,
Thanks for the scripts and instructions in this post.

I just want to make everyone aware that the windows scripts (xboxonehdd-master-6.1.zip) will NOT work on a system with a multi-drive "Storage Space" (and I assume any other raid array).
The problem is that a multi-drive array is counted as 1 drive, but the drive numbers you need to select are based on the number of physical drives.
The script limits the drive number you can type to what it counted, so you can't enter the last x drives connected (where x is the number of drives in the array - 1).
My suggestion to fix the script would be to set the exit key to a letter (e.g. 'x') and not restrict the numbers allowed.

Exals

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, thank you for the super useful tool and instructions.
I have a problem with my fat Xbox one.
This had a faulty hdd that during a past update gave me the error e100 with ridiculosy long bootup times. So I created a new drive with the tool v6.1 on linux following the guided video. I also created the ntfs recovery usb stick with the osu1 files on it. The console boot up and start the update. Everything went well until the "applying update 33%" with the overall at 71%. The update stucks and the console gives error e102. I already tried to apply the "58% fix" but without any success... I found another user from another forum with the same issue but no one answered him.
What can I do? Thanks for your support and ask if you need any other detail!

mikeadoor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
having same issue stuck at applying update. i did an offline update but gets stuck and then give me error 100. i tried to reset but it just gives me error

Exals

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I solved my issue doing the following things:
1) Changed PC (worked with a Dell Latitude e7240)
2) Changed Linux live distro (from Linux Mint to Kali)
3) Changed the PATA TO USB interface
4) Changed replacement HDD with a new one

Putted the new hard drive in and the update went on from 72% to complete. The console is like new now. Hope to be useful to someone

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: https://youtube.com/shorts/WhPP8hUkb0o?feature=share