Tutorial Xbox One Internal Hard Drive Upgrade or Repair: Build any size drive that works on any console

oslo1

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have an issue where the original xbox one is stuck at 86% even after using this and a new hdd. Every time I restart it, it goes back to applying update and gets stuck at 66% and 86% update. Did I do something wrong?

LostRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, this thread just came to my attention, hadnt really been looking. Its really nice to see people working on things like this.

Currently i use an external SSD via USB3 to start most of my games. I wonder if it would be any noticeable performance increase if i had it as my internal and run games from there?

Edit: Got an Xbox One X, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by LostRabbit,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, this thread just came to my attention, hadnt really been looking. Its really nice to see people working on things like this.

Currently i use an external SSD via USB3 to start most of my games. I wonder if it would be any noticeable performance increase if i had it as my internal and run games from there?

Edit: Got an Xbox One X, if that makes any difference.
Swings and roundabouts. Some games will show appreciable benefits, others will load at about the same speed. The system is bottlenecked regardless and can't saturate the bus, the speed of internal vs. external is comparable. In theory you should have more bandwidth using the internal bus.

Reactions: LostRabbit

Nononoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not sure what I did wrong, but I get the E102 error when booting the new drive. Updating using the OSU1 file fails at 72%.
I have a 1TB Xbox One S, no insider.
Replaced it with a smaller 250GB SSD, because I need speed but not much space. Same error occurs using another SSD, and swapping back the original drive will work, so it's not a hardware problem.

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not sure what I did wrong, but I get the E102 error when booting the new drive. Updating using the OSU1 file fails at 72%.
I have a 1TB Xbox One S, no insider.
Replaced it with a smaller 250GB SSD, because I need speed but not much space. Same error occurs using another SSD, and swapping back the original drive will work, so it's not a hardware problem.

250gb wont work you need 500/1tb or 2tb with script

tidybol

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
xb000x, where exactly are you supposed to cover the foam piece on the power supply? do you have additional photos illustrating this?

xb000x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xb000x, where exactly are you supposed to cover the foam piece on the power supply? do you have additional photos illustrating this?
psufix.jpg

Most important is replacing with a real Cooling Pad 2mm thick to the South Bridge BGA processor. Never have any those returning problems any more and also after 10+ x times online updates, nada e10X etc.!
But if still have problems, try replacing the hdd cable as for some ppl that was the solution.

More on: https://www.reddit.com/r/consolerepair/comments/k3vas2/e102_e105_xbox_one_x_diy_fix_vs_ms_milking/

Last edited by xb000x,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
has anyone tired clone a series SSD to another SSD to see if its possible to change/upgrade one? When these size SSD are available

trav57

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the hardware fix what about an xbox one OG, i dont see any white pad anywhere and the fans never go that fast

aarstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys think it is likely that my Xbox One has a failing hard drive? It was working fine with light use and now gives constant E208 errors. I was able to factory reset it after multiple tries (eventually did offline updates) and download some games but none would start (something has gone wrong error). Since then, after I rebooted, the screen has been gray. I’m thinking about trying to replace the HD if it’s probably causing my issues and came across this thread/script.

Last edited by aarstar,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do you guys think it is likely that my Xbox One has a failing hard drive? It was working fine with light use and now gives constant E208 errors. I was able to factory reset it after multiple tries (eventually did offline updates) and download some games but none would start (something has gone wrong error). Since then, after I rebooted, the screen has been gray. I’m thinking about trying to replace the HD if it’s probably causing my issues and came across this thread/script.

if a full factory reset doesn't work or struggle to get though the process then yea it the hard drive

aarstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following up on my last post, I replaced the HD with a 1 TB SSD that was formatted with the script and everything seems to be working well so far. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: pcwizard7

i0nzeu5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I’m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of videos here & it is not easy to determine which one is best for my needs so I’m hoping someone can help answer a few questions.

i have a OneX & want to replace the internal 1TB HDD with a 2TB SSD. I have access to a Windows PC or Mac not Linux.

Which video do I follow to swap out/upgrade the drives & in doing so do I run the risk of purchased digital content becoming unlicensed?

Thanks much.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i have a OneX & want to replace the internal 1TB HDD with a 2TB SSD. I have access to a Windows PC or Mac not Linux.

Which video do I follow to swap out/upgrade the drives & in doing so do I run the risk of purchased digital content becoming unlicensed?

Thanks much.

1. with HDD choose one with 7200 RPM or SATA type for SSD

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 2.5 SATA HDD 1TB 7200RPM
Western Digital 1TB WD Black Performance Mobile Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 2.5" - WD10SPSX

SSD
Samsung SSD 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" 2TB
WD Green 2TB 2.5' SATA SSD
SanDisk SSD PLUS 2TB

2. you can do this in windows or mac
3. one i posted is fine
4. no digital content are tied to your account, so you just sign in and redownload your content

i0nzeu5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

i want to replace my OneX 1TB HDD (its factory reset) with a 2TB SSD but the bind/sync button on my xbox does not work. Will that affect anything as I believe you need the bind button to do the Offline OSU update? Or can you do that online?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does this process cause any issues where you lose the DRM to digital games?
1. with HDD choose one with 7200 RPM or SATA type for SSD

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 2.5 SATA HDD 1TB 7200RPM
Western Digital 1TB WD Black Performance Mobile Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 2.5" - WD10SPSX

SSD
Samsung SSD 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" 2TB
WD Green 2TB 2.5' SATA SSD
SanDisk SSD PLUS 2TB

2. you can do this in windows or mac
3. one i posted is fine
4. no digital content are tied to your account, so you just sign in and redownload your content

THANK YOU!

i0nzeu5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, about to perform a swap. How worried should I be about this “
Update May 14, 2019 E105 and E102 errors on Xbox One X models:
There does appear to be an epidemic with Xbox One X consoles suddenly producing E105 errors and then E102 when trying to force an OSU1 offline update.”

Calling it an epidemic makes it sound like it happens WAY MORE than 50% of the time

General chit-chat
Help Users
    kenenthk @ kenenthk: https://youtube.com/shorts/_nIv1PWxJhQ?feature=share