1. Stormnator

Stormnator Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    No, this tool only workd with 500, 1TB and 2TB HDDs. It's a waste of time to use a 250gb. Trust me, it's not worth it. 500gb HDDs are cheap.

2. Dymblos

Dymblos Member
    Newcomer

Chile
    Recently I bougth a 16TB HDD, when plugged in the xbox, there is only 14.6TB Available
    There is any way to get more free space using this script?

I remember a few years ago when i upgrade the xbox one (non x) hard drive from 500GB to 1TB I used this tutorial

With the option Auto.. Non-S.. so I get more free Space

3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    no, this script is only for the internal drive which caps out 2TB for space internally before the Xbox messes up and can’t work properly. Externals are stuck with the space they have and it won’t matter anyway since the rest is formatting overhead due to 1024MB per GB vs the markings on the drive which is 1000MB per GB so the drive appears to have less space.

4. Dymblos

Dymblos Member
    Newcomer

Chile
    I see..
    I put a 2TB SSD (brand new) in My Xbox one X, as soon i turn on i was able to install the OS from a pendrive, there is a link in Microsoft website to download the Xbox one OS, no script needed

Final space available was 1.6TB
    There is any way to get more space with this script iwithout mess the installed OS and config?

Last edited by Dymblos, Mar 26, 2021
  5. bigmicro

bigmicro Newbie
    Newcomer

Philippines
    Could you re-up the link, please? It isn't available now.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Could you re-up the link, please? It isn't available now.

6. vwextreme

vwextreme Newbie
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    could it work for the new xbox one series x?????

7. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    Supposedly it shares the same layout but nobody has tried as larger sizes than 1TB are not available in 2230 m.2 size right now and it is almost 400$ for a 1TB 2230 drive should the one in the console fail.

8. judywriter

judywriter Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Can you change the internal hard drive on Xbox one?

9. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    Yes, this is the main purpose of this thread. Page 1 explains how it works better than I would so I would start there. Changing the drive is easier than it may seem to people who don’t repair consoles or computers often.

10. david watters

david watters Member
    Newcomer

United States
    i have a one x that i bought new never really used it. i ended up using it to fix another console awhile back and have just decided to get mine back together. new 1tb hard drive formatted and installed osu1 dowloads and verifies but once the reboot happens i get an instant e100. ive tried 3 sets of cables now and all these parts match as it was my console bought new.

ive tried re running osu1 50 times atleast and get nothing new. when i check the files in oddfwupd i get 0.log but the file is completely empty. im out of ideas

11. Hologram

Hologram GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This happens on faulty drives that are semi-working. Every time I try another drive that works all is good. Make sure to use the newest OSU from MS.

12. david watters

david watters Member
    Newcomer

United States

yeah ive tried 4 drives now and multiple osu1s, of course only the latest works. the build version is reported as the newest also. the only difference i get in trying multiple drives is a slight variation in the e100

edit: well your right atleast i guess. 4 different 1tb hard drives all test good and 2 are brand new donw work. i throw in an old rusted bad smart 640 gig and it installed and fired up.....im confused lol

Last edited by david watters, May 22, 2021
    Hologram likes this.
  13. Hologram

Hologram GBAtemp Fan

United States
    PS4 does the same thing on semi-bad drives - Hangs at 99% or randomly during update.

14. krueger96

krueger96 GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Hi, i will need to replace my Xbox's hdd since the one it came with is very slow and probably dying. I read that Microsoft started officially supporting hdd swaps at some point, is there any extra advantage using this script?

15. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    Microsoft does not officially support swapping drives. In fact swapping drives is technically against Xbox Live TOS. As far as I know, nobody has been banned for drive swapping even as far back as the 360 days with the old WD HDSS.BIN mod.

the script is needed to guarantee the drive is formatted properly with the correct space for each partition when using a different size drive since Xbox uses different partition IDs (UUIDs) for each partition size and uses that to format the drive.

Without the script, if you put in a 2TB drive in a 1TB system, it will format back to 1TB if you factory reset the system and require manually extending the partition using a partition editor via a computer.

krueger96 likes this.
  16. krueger96

Italy
    I see, is this just the case with an original fat model? Or other models arw affected as well? Because some users report being able to upgrade their One S' internal storage without the script, by using the offline system update:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/lpb6qf/upgrade_xbox_one_s_internal_hard_drive_without/

I have a used black fat model that i just got, it has a September 2016 date and a 1TB internal hdd, but it's very slow and needs to be replaced. Coincidentally, i have a new 1tb hdd that i never used and was thinking of installing in the One shortly. I don't know if the previous owner changed the hard drive, looking online I can't find information on this exact model shipping with 1tb, it may be possible this was a 500gb model originally. So to be sure i should just use the script with my new drive and it should work fine even if i decide to reset the system again in the future?

Last edited by krueger96, May 25, 2021
  17. 16v

16v Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    All.
    I think this is only when upgrading from 500 to 1TB, cause 500 and 1TB are legacy Xbox Models.
    For dufferent size you need this script.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk

18. krueger96

Italy
    So if i just need to replace a 1tb drive with another 1tb drive i don't need the script? Another user on reddit says with the script you can increase the game partition size:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/hlsv3l/psa_script_no_longer_needed_for_hdd_replacement/
    It's the first comment. As this was a used system, i just want to start fresh with the new drive without cloning the old one and ensure the console works properly

19. 16v

16v Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    No, replacing 1tb with 1tb it works without script.
    But: replacing 1tb hdd with 980GB SSD you need this script.

Increasing volumesize: on 500gb and 1tb- they are fix. If you use a 2tb dtive, you can increase.

But wait... there are xboxes with original 2tb drives out there!?
    Like my gears of war S...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk

krueger96 likes this.
  20. krueger96

Italy
    Perfect! Thanks both of you for the clarifications, i'll just swap the drives and perform an offline system update then

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Internal, Upgrade, console