Xbox One Internal Hard Drive Upgrade or Repair: Build any size drive that works on any console

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Tutorials' started by tai1976, Jun 21, 2017.

1. totalz

totalz Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    I went through the readme twice, once a week ago, once yesterday before the operation, I probably missed something. Am wondering how to get "(f) Autosize Non-Standard w/ 2TB Disk GUID (1947GB MAX) - create an autosized 'User Content' resetting to 2TB".

Is choosing "(b) Replace/Upgrade keeping original drive data (Standard and Non)" the only way to get the autosize function? But I don't have the original hdd yet and I'm not sure if it's functional, so I chose "(a) Replace/Upgrade w/o a working original drive (Standard Only)" instead.

And if it's possible to know more about the issue by the full error code? I screencaped a few...

2. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    Personally I would avoid the non standard sizing as it could give you trouble down the road if you need to change something.

However, the only files you need to get an operating drive are in the osu zip. You could perform a standard format and boot the drive, then you have a working drive and can use those files to upgrade the drive to the non standard size.

But again, 100gb is only 1 games worth of data usually.

3. totalz

totalz Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    So, after I replace the hdd and OSU it, I can back up the files from those xbox partitions and emulate those partitions later with any hdd?

I bought a 3TB ext hdd the next day I bought my xbox, but it happened after one of the update, xbox couldn't recognize my ext hdd anymore until after 3 more updates, very annoying. So 100GB is still sweet when u run out of space and when M$ makes a mistake ;)

Last edited by totalz, Nov 15, 2019
  4. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    So long as you're on the same software level, yes.

totalz likes this.
  5. Fnk68

Fnk68 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2019
    France
    hello, could you have me the last alpha version of the partition x .... my one x is blocked. I will pay you what you need.

6. totalz

totalz Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    Apologize if this is off topic a bit.

Is there any possible config to make my xbox to stay in pure ram/cpu only mode while "off"?
    ie. Instant-boot mode, but never turn on hdd while "off".

Already turn off auto system/app update, but wonder if it will turn everything on while checking web/app install instruction!?

7. intromission

intromission Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2016
    United States
    Oh man, I've wasted so much time trying to get this work. Seemed like it would but I can never get it to run the batch file. If I'm logged in as an administrator it says The System Cannot Find The Path Specified.

If I'm not logged in as admin I can get further in the process but then at a certain point it tells me to run CMD as administrator.

Problem is, I'm using an XP laptop, I just saw that OS is not listed in the readme. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Just tried using the tool a different way based on a newer video.

Create XBOX One Drive script only gets as far as:

Does selected disk contain C: Checking
    Does not contain C: can continue

Then it says 'choice.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Xbox One Drive Selection Cancelled.
    Script Execution complete.

Last edited by intromission, Nov 17, 2019
  8. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    XP is older than the original Xbox. I think you have answered your own question.

intromission likes this.
  9. looz

looz Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2019
    Finland
    I must say I am not too happy about what the script did.

Script version 8 detected no drives (tried first internal SATA, then with an external USB adapter). I guess it assumes multiple partitions or drives by default? My computer only has a single drive with single partition. Next I also plugged in the internal drive of my Xbox.

Anyhow, thought I'd run the version 7 than and it did indeed pick up my plugged in drives. Chose drive number 1 as 0 was system drive and 2 was the original One X drive. The script added correctly sized partitions, but then it formatted the Xbox One X's drive's partitions in NTFS one by one. Running it again leaves it to that state, regardless of starting off with an empty drive or one with the unformatted partitions. Removing the One X's original drive made no difference either.

So what I've managed so far with the script's assistance is wipe my previous perfectly good drive and have empty partitions on the new SSD. I guess next step is to set GUIDs and move over recovery files manually, but this is pretty catastrophic. Logging didn't seem to work either.

I run the latest November update of W10, I wonder if it changed diskpart's output to something unexpected.

Edit: Script 8.1 from GDrive worked ok, copied the select offline files over and it's all good now. Phew.

Last edited by looz, Nov 18, 2019
  10. intromission

intromission Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2016
    United States
    Touche!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Anyone know what the deal is with downloaded games from CD Keys or another vendor besides Microsoft?
    My plan is just to start from scratch with the new drive and re-download everything to avoid issues.

11. Fnk68

Fnk68 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2019
    France
    Hello, I think I buy an Xbox one s to put it on the omega version and recover the A / B folder in order to solve my problem E101 ... good idea? Otherwise no one would be willing to send me these files for payment of course?

Attached Files:

12. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    Yes, or just wait for newer OSU1

Fnk68 likes this.
  13. Fnk68

Fnk68 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2019
    France
    you think that the firmware is identical between the S and X? Can I install a newer version of the A / B files or do you need the same build? Thank you

14. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    You would need the same version if you are not updating with OSU1.zip

I cannot say for sure whether the S and X are the same but I do know the OSU is. OSU is only different for fat models.

You could just purchase a console locally, update it, take the files and see if it works then return it to the store within 30 days or however long they accept returns for.

15. byr

byr Newbie

Newcomer
    Thursday
    Austria
    Dear All!

I read almost all the comments, and there is a question of mine:

- is there anyone, how managed to get this working? All posts are about having troubles, and even if everything goes smoothly, after a while errors starts to show up.

So the question is, is it working? I ordered a 2TB SSD (Samsung QVO 860), and my 1TB internal drive in the XBox One X is working properly, I never had any error code, but now I'm a bit confused if I should migrate to the SSD, since everyone starts to get errors...

Thanks!

byr

16. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    I have personally done 4 consoles, 1 with SSD and have had zero issues with any of them.

17. byr

byr Newbie

Newcomer
    Thursday
    Austria
    Hmm, thanks, looks good. Since I have a working drive, I intend to copy (migrate) the content, using the script and don't want to play with the offline update thing. I hope it will not break later on online updates. Since the SSD does not produce almost any heat, I'm not afraid of overheating issues, like others had with 7200rpm HDD-s. Will see :)

18. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    I have complete confidence in it, I should note however that all my experiences were with failed drives. I haven't attempted to copy one.

19. chezybezy

chezybezy Newbie

Newcomer
    Today
    United Kingdom
    hoping somebody would be kind enough to answer a few queries. a little background info first:

my original xbox one has suddenly stopped working - it was left on over night performing a network transfer to an xb1 s, and produced a black screen in the morning when i checked on it. oddly this coincided with that new style dash (vertical) being rolled out and am unsure if its that or somehow the network transfer which caused the problem. there was no sign of system issues prior to this. fast forward messing around for several days where it wont boot, displays something went wrong error or very rarely would boot to green screen but would sit there forever.

had a heck of a time getting it to factory reset offline update / reset wouldn't work - multiple times and days later it supposedly has worked but wont always boot (something went wrong error) but its freezing on the 'dash' - tell it to open settings and it'll sit there unable to do so with a black background - often the guide button menu can still pop up but it wont go further. or it'll freeze when installing something (ironically a BR update grr). i am hoping (suspecting) it might be a failing hdd. does this sound like it might be?

if so, are there any suggestions for which hdd to get to replace? any limitations on physical size or rpm etc? my old 'surplus' 2.5inch drive is only 320gb so am unable to use that, i might have a larger (storage, not size) one i can pull form a pc... assuming the 7200's generate too much heat?
    i do not think i am on an insider build, a long time ago i removed myself from the program when it broke online access for the master chief collection. the insider app on pc does not report my console as being registered and i do not think i have been on anything else however can anyone confirm as when i googled the attached image it suggested it might be. am i correct in assuming if this is the case even a new hdd would not fix the issue? please note that the error code does change.
    i was trying to boot the console to see what it lists under settings (in case it is different) but encountered the above and when i turned it off via long hold on the power button ive been sat looking at the green boot screen :(
    do i need to replace the thermal paste etc on the cpu? or can i safely leave it?
    finally any horror stories r.e. account bans etc?

Edit: looks like there has been some trouble with error message boot loops etc after an update applies when using this method. whats the best bet going forward now? only use a 500gb drive? dont do this until its sorted?

oh it seems i am unable to post an image - form the boot menu troubleshooting thing: OS Version: 18363.8124.amd64fre.19h1_release_xbox_dev_1911.191202-1836

Last edited by chezybezy, Dec 14, 2019 at 12:27 AM
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted