Xbox One Internal Hard Drive Upgrade or Repair: Build any size drive that works on any console

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Tutorials' started by tai1976, Jun 21, 2017.

1. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nobody has reported being banned. I think the only ban risk would be using non standard sizing.

2. 16v

16v Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    Gambia, The
    No ban here.
    Day one edition with 1tb sshd
    And project scorpio with 2tb ssd.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

3. MTB2098

MTB2098 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2019
    United States
    Nope.
    i downgrade to a 480gb SSD from 500gb HDD

4. JDR0126

JDR0126 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2019
    United States
    I have been stuck on replacing my hard drive.

When putting my commands given to me by the readme file, it says that the directory was not found.

Need help, please.

5. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    Browse to where the script is located in Windows Explorer and right click on the script itself, select run as administrator and it will start you off in the correct directory.

6. Spectro99

Spectro99 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2019
    Belgium
    About 1 week ago, I replaced the hdd in my One X with an SSD and it all went well. The steps I followed:

Unenroll from preview program > Factory reset console > Prepare Drive > Put OSU1 on USB > Insert new drive > Reset console again > Install update > Enroll in preview program

Yesterday I tried to swap the drive again (older ssd, newer ssd to be used in server) and this time it went like this:

Unenroll from preview program > Factory reset console > Prepare Drive > Put OSU1 on USB > Insert new drive > Reset console again > Install update > Instant E101

I'm guessing when I enrolled again in the preview program it somehow updated to a later build (1910 I think) and the console is now bricked because the OSU1 is older. Any ideas on when the next firmware will be released? Cause my console is basically useless now :/

7. sthetix

sthetix Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2015
    Indonesia
    Hi @tai1976, I have downloaded your script but unfortunately it freezes during Diskpart, after selecting an option.. is there anyway to fix that?

thx

8. Ikkari

Ikkari Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2019
    Germany
    I had the same issues with the usual E10x/E20x error routine. It was a day one edition with a 2 TB SDD upgrade which was working fine for least 7-8 Months since the first upgrade to the new SSD. Back then I think I used the “Backup and Restore Upgrade” process until the first E10x/E20x appeared. I got it fixed with some troubles with the “Repair or Replace Upgrade” process and since then the E10x/E20x error routine hell started, and my Xbox never worked longer than 1 or 2 weeks sometimes I got the error even on the same day! I fixed it at least 3 times.

I finally gave up and decided to buy a completely new Xbox One X, 2 Months ago, which was working fine for at least 4-5 Weeks. So, I tried the 2TB SSD upgrade once again, with the “Repair or Replace Upgrade” process, I got it working but then ended up with the usual E10x/E20x error routine.

I don’t think it’s a hardware Issue as said the completely new system was working fine until the upgrade. I also think it has something to do with the online update, my problem is maybe that I usually change the system language to German and this forces a online update during the first system setup.

Maybe the online update doesn’t like the fact that there is an Xbox One X with a 2TB drive.

@tai1976 maybe you should have a look into this matter I seems to me that an online update is breaking a working upgraded system for sure, at least on my side when a bigger hard drive is used. As said, you can force an online update by downloading an additional language during the system setup.

I will try it one last time now without changing the system language.

9. xb000x

xb000x Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2019
    United States
    Yes and No, its a combination hardware and software error.
    Just don't put games on int. hdd, only OS, Apps and all games on ext. hdd, this way you don't have reinstall any games after system/OS crash.
    Common software crashes can happen any time, when something in the OS processing went wrong, like: instable network online system updates, in game/app have bug/glitch causing crash.
    Always fully Quit/closed the game/app/installation before shutdown the xbox.

It is a hardware defect when E10X/E20X errors keep increasing and/or when after xbox cools down it start working again. Then most likely its power and cooling problem.
    Microsoft xbox trouble shooting help says: keep xbox well ventilated, don't use powerstrip outlets.
    You can test your 1st xbox if it is a hardware defect, just play a gfx heavy game and hear if the fan will blowing louder to keep xbox back exhaust cool/warm. If the exhaust is staying hot and fan doesn't speed up to keep cool, then its a hardware error, most likely the power capacitors on the mainboard (not in the powersupply unit) is defective due overheating.

Last edited by xb000x, Oct 26, 2019
  10. xb000x

xb000x Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2019
    United States
    It is not bricked when you can still access the Something went wrong/Troubleshoot, System Error E10X screens.
    I guess you fixed it/trying the old hdd or keep resetting/updating OSU1 till it working again?
    Ok, understand now because xbox don't let you downgrade to older version OSU1 will get stuck on E101, because MS will update OSU1 few weeks later.

Last edited by xb000x, Nov 2, 2019
  11. Ikkari

Ikkari Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2019
    Germany
    But it didn't happen with the original HDD at all, the error cycle started as soon I installed the 2 TB SSD.

12. xb000x

xb000x Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2019
    United States
    Then you have wrongly formatted/partioned it, I have used 480GB SSD, 2TB SSHD without problems, but I had struggle it because it wasn't standard formats, need tweaking alot with master8 before its working properly.

13. WdaW

WdaW Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2019
    Canada
    I'm in the same boat as you @Spectro99.

In preview program (18363.8082) and original 1TB hard drive crashed in my Xbox One X. Installed a new 2TB hard drive, followed the script, but the available public OSU1 is older (18363.7194) then the preview OS I have installed (18363.8082) and keep getting E101 errors when doing the offline update with the current OSU1.

Other then waiting weeks or (months?) for the OSU1 to catch up to the preview OS, is there any other method I can use? I've tried it so many times with different ways and always the same result. This was 2 weeks ago, I got so fed up and bought a cheap Xbox One S on Craigslist lol. I guess it will keep me occupied until I can get my X running again, but games look terrible since it is not native 4K.

Any help to fix my X would be appreciated! I guess what I really need is the A & B folders of the preview OS 18363.8082 or above.

Xbox Support has been totally useless and actually deleting my posts because they said that "they cannot assist with modified consoles" and "self repair is not allowed to be discussed" WHAT?!?!?! Oh I get it, they want $350 to fix my X.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah.....I'm gonna have to say NO to that.

It's kind of a joke that this issue exists in this day and age, and basically if your HD fails while in the preview program to are SOL for a few weeks or maybe even months.

Seems like there was a new OSU1 uploaded a few days ago, but it only moved up 2 numbers to 18363.7196. Still no where close to 18363.8082. F$%#! :)

Last edited by WdaW, Oct 31, 2019
  14. FunkadelicRelic

FunkadelicRelic Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Just wanted to post my experience as I've just been through this with my XBox One X which had a dying hard disk. I was noticing games would shut down frequently and crash to the home screen and I would find that restarting the console often resulted in no reboot and a hang or I'd get E10x errors on the reboot. I also noticed that none of my Game Pass games would install completely, specifically if I put the console into sleep mode (all settings correct). Decided to chance my luck and replace the hard drive before buying a new console.

I used this script with a brand new Crucial MX500 1TB SSD.

My experiences:

I could not get this to work at all using Windows 10 latest build. I would get 'missing drive X' errors and the partition GUIDs never ended up matching the readme. I also found that in Disk Management, once partitioned, the disk would revert to 'offline' and on further inspection, this was due to a disk unique signature conflict between the OS drive and the new drive. I tried two Windows 10 machines. Both exhibited the same issue. The drive would format correctly using the script but when placed into the XBox would always fail to do the prepare console and update steps.

I resolved this by creating an Ubuntu VirtualBox VM on my PC and passing through the USB to SATA adapter and running the script in Linux. This worked wonderfully, first time. Since this was not a replacement disk, I used the create new disk script and I did not copy the update files as the last step. After the script, the only thing I did do was create an A and B folder on the System Update partition and copy the bootanim.dat file in before putting the disk back in the XBox. The boot animation still doesn't work though so I expect the USB system update clears that directory as part of the process. I could have added the file after the XBox was up and running but I couldn't be bothered to take it out again, so I'll just wait to see what happens in the next OS update and whether it comes back on its own.

Thanks @tai1976 for the script. This has worked wonders for me. I just installed like 7 games overnight in sleep mode and all installed without a hiccup! One happy customer here!

15. xj3Lo

xj3Lo Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2019
    United States
    Welp I need some help. Whenever I use this script to replace/repair Xbone hd (option a), my computer freezes altogether when it checks to see if the new hd contains the C: drive

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The script will run up until the point of checking for c:

16. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    Running as administrator?

17. AugustinM

AugustinM Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2019
    United States
    Can anyone help me. Every time I select any option, it gives me a "Diskpart was unable to process the parameters" on my main computer, but doesn't show up when I do it on my laptop.

18. totalz

totalz Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    After 1.5 yrs and the 2019Oct autoupdate, all I got was E102 then E101 with my X1S. I'm not in the preview program, just don't see the point. I'm a light player, sometimes I don't turn it on for weeks, I guess my mistake was left it on instant-boot. I'm still not sure if it's only a HDD problem, I still haven't got the T10 to open it up.

Ordered a 2TB SSHD, ran create_xbox_drive without any issue. But am wondering why the unallocated free space of 101GB? I hope it's the slowest part of the disc, it was at 60MB/s near the end of a disc scan.

19. djinc91

djinc91 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    That is how Microsoft designed it to be. There is unallocated space on my 1TB as well. You can use the script to utilize the space but if you ever have to factory reset it will mess up the partitions.

totalz likes this.
  20. Fnk68

Fnk68 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2019
    France
    Hello, I am looking for a person who would be ready to help me out with an xbox one x or s, in the program insider of early November. I would need the contents of the X: partition. In order to solve the problem E101 / 106, which can not be corrected by osu1. .... I'll be ready to pay ... Thank you to my future savior!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hello, I am looking for a person who would be ready to help me out with an xbox one x or s, in the program insider of early November. I would need the contents of the X partition, In order to solve the problem E101 / 106, which can not be corrected by osu1. .... I'll be ready to pay ... Thank you to my future savior!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted