Xbox One HDD Upgrade or Repair: Build a 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB drive that works on any Xbox One Console

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Tutorials' started by tai1976, Jun 21, 2017.

1. tai1976
    OP

tai1976 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    WHAT THIS IS:
    This is a set of scripts that allow you to create a standard/official 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB internal hard drive that works on any Xbox One or Xbox One S console and can be reset and remain at that appropriate size. In effect, all Xbox One consoles are potentially 2TB consoles.

These scripts should support systems using any language but particularly on Windows 10 you'll need to have "English (United States)" installed but does not need to be the default language.

This is NOT a hack or mod, this is a script which creates the exact hard drive structure Microsoft uses on each 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB console it sells.

In the several years I've been doing hard drive upgrades and repairs on the Xbox One I'm not aware of a single person being banned for this practice. That said, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

INTRO:
    I've been a fan of this site for quite some time, going back to the NDS Acekard 2i era and felt if this site excelled in any particular area, it was quality tutorials.
    Now is my chance to give something back to this community with a tutorial of my own but no necessarily a quality one.

I've sat on this particular iteration of the scripts for about a month just to be sure that others were getting the same results that I was able to achieve.

That said, I've had a YouTube channel for about a year with the channel's goal being to help people upgrade or replace their existing and potentially broken Xbox One hard drive.
    Things worked well enough but the existing process was always more of a hack than a solution. You see, all existing scripts going back to when the Xbox One was released could only create a functioning 500GB drive. To install a 2TB drive you would have to clone the 500GB to 2TB and use a tool such as GParted to change the partition layout to take advantage of the additional space.
    The big caveat to all of this is that performing a console "Reset" would re-partition your drive back to 500GB sizes.

That all changes with this script:
    xboxonehdd-master-5.zip

Reddit user A1DR1K sent a message to me on YouTube informing me that he had figured out how the Xbox One determines drive size and it isn't tied to the console itself but rather the disk GUID.
    This is a big deal. With a properly partitioned drive any console can use any size drive at any time. Officially Microsoft has defined 2TB, 1TB, and 500GB drive sizes and the xboxonehdd-master-5.zip script now supports them all.

WHAT YOU NEED:
    Aside from the scripts to partition a 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB drive you'll need or need to do the following:
    1. You have to be willing to open your console and potentially void the 1 year or extended warranty.
    2. A 2.5" HDD, SSD, or SSHD SATA drive with a minimum capacity of 500GB. You can use a drive larger than 2TB but you can only partition it as 2TB.
    3. A way to attach the 2.5" HDD, SSD, or SSHD SATA drive to a Windows or Linux desktop or laptop. This can be a SATA to USB adapter or installing the SATA drive temporarily in said desktop or laptop.
    4. A copy of OSU1.zip from Microsoft. Once you've partitioned the drive with xboxonehdd-master-5.zip you will need these files to perform an Offline update to rebuild the newly minted Xbox One hard drive.
    5. An 8GB or larger USB flash drive. This could be considered optional if you place the contents of the OSU1.zip $SystemUpdate folder into an A and B folder on the "System Update" partition and move the updater.xvd file to the root of "System Update".
    BUILDING THE DRIVE USING WINDOWS:
    I've created a detailed walk through found within the xboxonehdd-master-5.zip file:
    xboxonehdd-master\win\readme_windows.txt
    readme_windows.txt

Also I walk you through the entire process in the following video:
    2TB Drive Creation Using Windows

BUILDING THE DRIVE USING LINUX:
    I've created a detailed walk through found within the xboxonehdd-master-5.zip file:
    xboxonehdd-master/linux/readme_linux.txt
    readme_linux.txt

Also I walk you through the entire process in the following video:
    2TB Drive Creation Using Linux

CONCLUSION:
    While the PS4 will always have the advantage when it comes to internal hard drive upgrading and replacement in terms of difficulty.
    Now the Xbox One can finally support the same functionality.

Last edited by tai1976, Jun 22, 2017
  2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Nice tutorial. I have held off for a while on doing the internal HDD upgrade as I did not want to deal with the factory reset size change among other issues. I am going to sit on this for a bit and probably do it sometime soon.

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    I've done this before. But with a SSD instead. Sucks that the xb1 uses sata II and not sata III.. but at least my console won't have its drive due soon :P

4. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I doubt Sata III would make any significant difference with the Xbox One.

5. Blckwing182

Blckwing182 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    thats for internal only? an external does not need this right? i have a 1tb that was from my laptop and i it lost its data.... can i fix it with this?

6. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Internal only.

7. Jumpz17

Jumpz17 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2017
    Germany
    Nice to see that this method got updated a lot now. I did it years ago under linux with the old scripts and 1.75TB HDD.

But i have a question. With this updated stuff do you still have to Copy the Original Files from the old HDD to the new HDD? And do you still need a factory reset before replacing the HDD?

Would be great if you only need the OSU1 files now.

im planning to upgrade the XboneX HDD. 1TB is not enough in this day and age lol

8. Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2003
    Australia
    No, you don't need to clone or copy anything from the old drive, which makes it very handy in worst case scenarios (HDD shits itself totally).
    If you want to keep the stuff you've already downloaded or installed, transfer everything to an external HDD first.

Just follow the procedure, the guy couldn't make it any simpler. ie partition the new drive using the scripts, and either put the OSU1 files in the designated area on the HDD or onto a USB stick and then install off that.

I'm also planning on upgrading my XoneX drive, but I'm hoping a 2TB SKU will be released as I'd rather not void the warranty so early on.

9. DamianNuez

DamianNuez Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2012
    Mexico
    Tijuana, Baja California
    Worked perfectly!

I just upgraded my Xbox one s from 500 to 1tb

Had to do a reset after upgrading it as I decided to start clean, it kept the 1tb size

No issues so far

Will try out 2tb once I buy a another drive

Thank you very much for the script!!!

PokeAcer likes this.
  10. Blckwing182

Blckwing182 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    But can i fix my 1tb with this?

11. Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2003
    Australia
    Fix what? Is the drive stuffed?

Read what I wrote above or go through the tutorial again. You DO NOT need your old HDD to be working in order to create a new HDD.

12. Blckwing182

Blckwing182 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017

Ok. I have a 1tb hdd that one night stoped working (western digital) its like it lost its format. (Fails to intall windows, ubuntu etc etc).

What i meant is if i follow this tutorial i can be repaired or not? Jusk asking i know that is better tu put it on the trash

13. Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2003
    Australia
    This procedure is only for the Xbox One, it's not going to help your computer.

Sounds like the HDD has a major problem, replace it & reinstall Windows.

14. Blckwing182

Blckwing182 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    You dont get it... i want to use it for the xbox.

15. Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2003
    Australia
    If the HDD doesn't work in the computer, it won't work in the Xbox.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  16. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    Grab a linux boot disc that includes hdparm, try and do a secure erase on it. https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

If that works then do a couple of passes with https://dban.org/. If it still works then the drive is fine & you should be able to use the scripts, if not then it's toast.

Last edited by smf, Jul 4, 2017
    Blckwing182 and Redemp like this.
  17. Blckwing182

Blckwing182 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017