Xbox One games will still be playable after servers shut down

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Of the many concerns of the Xbox One, one of the most pressing issues would be how the system would function after its heavily focused online infrastructure would shut down. Requiring an internet connection every 24 hours to be playable, many gamers assumed the system would be dead in the water after servers shut down. However, Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb assured gamers this is not the case.

Answering questions on reddit's r/games section, Larry assured gamers that games will be playable after Xbox One servers shut down. "That's certainly something we would not do. That's not the way the system is designed. It's designed for flexibility. But let's get the system out there first."

Hryb also helped answer some confusion about Xbox One account bans. It was previously thought that an Xbox One account that was banned would lose access to all their games, as they require internet connection. However, Hryb said this is false, saying "Absolutely not" to if gamers would lose the single player portion of their games with an Xbox One ban.

:arrow: Source

SifJar likes this.

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    They also mentioned games would make use of cloud computing though, didn't they? That would be absolutely impossible to keep up when the servers go down.

3. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    How about Microsoft just not implement DRM shit?

4. naved.islam14

naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sep 12, 2009
    Gotham
    I'm really confused by the XBONE and that guy's name.

5. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    The HDMI input is quite interesting, if I every did ever go xbone, I could insert my ps4 out into the xbone in, and have some WTF hybrid next gen thing going on.

6. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Prox
    I don't trust his saying in an interview what will and will not happening as a project plan for the future. Give me it as part of a legally contractual agreement and then we will talk. As of now, I'm extremely skeptical of anything Microsoft says will happen in the future of XB1. Except maybe that they won't change anything because their family sharing system is awesome. How is XB1 "futureproof"? Stone is future proof, electronics and policies are not.

7. Shoat

Shoat GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Of course any game that makes use of things like that will not work anymore (or at least have part of their content not working). Even if the last patch before server shutdown removes the need to be online from the console, stuff like that can never be fixed after the fact.

They mentioned many contradictory, stupid or outright hostile-to-customer things, and that will result in the Xbox one being born dead. The decisions they have made seem to already be pretty much set in stone as it's too close to release; and while they are amusing, their current attempts to talk their way out of it will not fix anything (couldn't help but laugh at "It's designed for flexibility.").

8. jonesman99

jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    A Star Called Metropolis
    Wait, I have a question, does this mean during its lifetime, like incase of a server meltdown, or do they mean after its generation ends and a new console is out from them?

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Though I considered the "after the servers are shut off" thing to be largely a non issue (MS have the relevant keys after all) if it is enough years in the future then it could probably be kicked to a little desktop widget.

10. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm gonna pop some tags
    Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
    I - I - I'm hunting, looking for a come-up
    This is fucking a Xbox one. DAMN :cry:

11. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    It's not OnLive or GaiKai. When they say cloud computing, they mean that you can do more interesting stuff with their server than just host multiplayer. Like a "drive-atar".

I don't think losing drive-atars would make Forza unplayable.

12. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    That word is enough to make Forza unplayable.

13. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    In the future.

14. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    How will they handle authenticating new installed or used games then after they shut things down? I get the system not having 24 hour checks but what of the other drm?

15. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Still not interested. Thanks for trying Microsoft.

16. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    I'm not too concerned about this. How many hit games are XBox 360 exclusives and also never made it to the PC? Not many. Microsoft had some pretty nifty cross-compilers which made bringing games to the PC less of a chore. With the x86 architecture switch, the number of unported XBox One exclusive hits will be even smaller.

17. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Assumedly they'll push out one last update that disables the DRM... years after it matters.

18. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    in that case I see myself buying one at the end of its life and not a minute sooner. make sure everything is used too lol.

19. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    He didn't answer anything, he just skirt the issues. That little tidbit about the title, that was also a deflection. I mean it's a yes or no answer with some explanation not, "We wouldn't do that [insert random bullshit about console] Buy our system and then we'll tell you." No, Microsoft. The consumers need the answers to these questions now, not later.

20. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    In one interview, a representative said that the cloud handles computations that have already begun on the home console, computations that aren't really "dynamically" needed (they gave examples for things like lighting effects). This makes it sound like the load is pretty negligible and that this "cloud" is just an excuse for an online back-and-forth.

They also stated that were the system to be offline, then the home console wouldn't offload some of these basic computations, but would process them natively. But that too makes it sound like the cloud isn't really freeing up any performance, if the system is natively able to do the work anyways.