ShocWave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the Xbox 360, anything you download can be:
1) Played on the "first" Xbox 360 console it was downloaded on with any account. No online connection is needed.
2) Played on another Xbox 360 console with the content owner's account. Online connection is needed.
3) Both Xbox 360 consoles with different accounts are able to play the same game online at the same time.

On the Xbox One, I heard there are a few changes to this policy. I'm wondering about the "Home" console.
I have heard that you must designate your console as the "Home" console, so that any account can play the content.

Does this mean point number 1 above no longer applies?
If I were to download content on another Xbox One that is not designated as the "Home" console, do they still have a license to access the content offline?

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have nothing to add to your questions, but I for one am really disappointed that xbox backed down from its DRM plans originally announced. Buying physical games and being able to never use the disc is just such an awesome feature.

Plus I never share games so don't care about how I can "share with a friend".

Steam seems to get away with it, why not consoles???

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with laudern.

But what would have made much more sense is some sort of a hybrid system like Sony has done with the "cross-buy" titles on PS3/Vita. For example: Each disc you buy can be redeemed to an account one time only. If you buy the game brand new, you can do what the original DRM scheme would have described. You use the disc to install the game and then never need the disc again.

If you want to sell the disc, let a friend borrow it, whatever... that's your prerogative. Essentially, somebody else would be able to play the game with the disc just as it is *now*, but if they remove the disc the game won't launch. Best of both worlds. So you'd basically know that by buying games used, there's a good chance you won't be able to redeem it to your account and will have to use the disc to play. Maybe they could have implemented some sort of "upgrade fee" to let you download the full version for a nominal cost on top of what you paid for a second-hand copy.

D

Deleted User

I have nothing to add to your questions, but I for one am really disappointed that xbox backed down from its DRM plans originally announced. Buying physical games and being able to never use the disc is just such an awesome feature.

You could just get the digital version. Problem solved.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The problem with the Microsoft version was, there was no way to play offline. If you where off line for more than a day... F you.. all your games were unplayable. Steam does not have that problem.

-THAT- was the big problem people had with Microsoft's version.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree with laudern.

But what would have made much more sense is some sort of a hybrid system like Sony has done with the "cross-buy" titles on PS3/Vita. For example: Each disc you buy can be redeemed to an account one time only. If you buy the game brand new, you can do what the original DRM scheme would have described. You use the disc to install the game and then never need the disc again.

If you want to sell the disc, let a friend borrow it, whatever... that's your prerogative. Essentially, somebody else would be able to play the game with the disc just as it is *now*, but if they remove the disc the game won't launch. Best of both worlds. So you'd basically know that by buying games used, there's a good chance you won't be able to redeem it to your account and will have to use the disc to play. Maybe they could have implemented some sort of "upgrade fee" to let you download the full version for a nominal cost on top of what you paid for a second-hand copy.
I know, old post, but the thread got bumped anyway. The issue with that is that you can just buy a game, lock the digital copy to your account and immediately resell the disc for near-retail value. Bam, brand new games for extremely cheap.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, old post, but the thread got bumped anyway. The issue with that is that you can just buy a game, lock the digital copy to your account and immediately resell the disc for near-retail value. Bam, brand new games for extremely cheap.

Not really - since you would know that by buying a disc used like that, you run the risk of the digital copy already being used. How is it any different to what we have now? If someone wants to sell the disc, and someone else buys the disc... only difference is that person gets a digital copy with nothing to show for it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not really - since you would know that by buying a disc used like that, you run the risk of the digital copy already being used. How is it any different to what we have now? If someone wants to sell the disc, and someone else buys the disc... only difference is that person gets a digital copy with nothing to show for it.
Huh? No, the person who sells it gets to keep the digital copy since it's redeemed to their account, the person who buys it gets to keep the retail copy since that would still work. I meant buying the game new, then immediately reselling it, not buying it used.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The problem with the Microsoft version was, there was no way to play offline. If you where off line for more than a day... F you.. all your games were unplayable. Steam does not have that problem.

-THAT- was the big problem people had with Microsoft's version.

Yep I agree. That really was the only downside. What if you want to play the console in 20 years and MS have taken down the xbone servers? No more games.

Buying a digital disc copy is such a great idea as stores will more often than not be cheaper than the actual online store. But oh well..... Maybe next generation.....

D

Deleted User

Huh? No, the person who sells it gets to keep the digital copy since it's redeemed to their account, the person who buys it gets to keep the retail copy since that would still work. I meant buying the game new, then immediately reselling it, not buying it used.
Problem with that is then everyone would buy a game and resell it to the second hand market immediately effectively halving sales

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Problem with that is then everyone would buy a game and resell it to the second hand market immediately effectively halving sales

What are you talking about? The game would obviously come with some type of code similar to the online pass code EA and the gang use to put on all of their online games

And if you had no code you would have to purchase one for whatever the publisher would want to sell it for. Effectively destroying the 2nd hand market as they could charge full price for the code.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WTF are you guys talking about. The disc games would of came with a one use digital code, just like PC titles. Sure you could sell the disc after using it to install but it wouldn't allow a second person to magically be able to play the game without rebuying the game. The disc would of been just a faster install option. Thus they were pointless. So fuck that shit.

As for the persons original question. The home console doesn't require the original buyer of content to be logged in and anyone can play with their own accounts. A non-home console still allows anyone to play the games but only if the original buyer is logged in. Since you can have 8 accounts signed in at once this isn't a problem. Sign the owner of the game in you want to play and then switch to your own account. As long as they do not sign into another xbox you can keep playing their games.

D

Deleted User

What are you talking about? The game would obviously come with some type of code similar to the online pass code EA and the gang use to put on all of their online games

And if you had no code you would have to purchase one for whatever the publisher would want to sell it for. Effectively destroying the 2nd hand market as they could charge full price for the code.
They could also lose a lot of customers who don't want to buy a game that they can't resell/refund incase they don't like it.

D

Deleted User

WTF are you guys talking about. The disc games would of came with a one use digital code, just like PC titles. Sure you could sell the disc after using it to install but it wouldn't allow a second person to magically be able to play the game without rebuying the game. The disc would of been just a faster install option. Thus they were pointless. So fuck that shit.

As for the persons original question. The home console doesn't require the original buyer of content to be logged in and anyone can play with their own accounts. A non-home console still allows anyone to play the games but only if the original buyer is logged in. Since you can have 8 accounts signed in at once this isn't a problem. Sign the owner of the game in you want to play and then switch to your own account. As long as they do not sign into another xbox you can keep playing their games.
TY, I was curious about this.

So if I bought the day one edition DLC for Xenoverse from ebay I could use the code on my brother's console and then both of us could play it on our respective consoles if I'm not mistaken.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TY, I was curious about this.

So if I bought the day one edition DLC for Xenoverse from ebay I could use the code on my brother's console and then both of us could play it on our respective consoles if I'm not mistaken.

Basically the home xbox is were all ur console licences for games is set to. So yeah. My brother n i have each others xboxes set as our homes. I have his n he has my games. So yeah do it like that n yeah the code would work.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Erm, if you buy it new, open the box and then resell it, what does that make the buyer? Buying it used

Also I didn't mean a one-time code like EA, I meant more something on the disc like what Sony does with the PS3/Vita cross-buy games. PlayStation Allstars has it, as does Sly Cooper and a couple others. You just put the disc in, and it has an option to redeem the Vita version. I'm not sure how it works, but it's specific to the disc, not your console - tried my copy of Allstars on a friend's PS3 and it still said it was redeemed, even with a different console and PSN account.

You say it would cut sales in half, but would it really? Look at stores like GameStop, who already sell used games within a week of them being released new. Yet how many people actually choose to buy that version? You only save a few bucks and overall it's just not worth it - especially if it comes with DLC or something and there's a possibility it's already been used. Sure, there will always be direct reselling, e.g. Craigslist or eBay, but when we're talking a game that sells millions of copies, is that really a significant loss of sales? I'd say no.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2