Xbox One Dev kit leaked = Homebrew coming soon for Everyone?

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Games & Content' started by 0nethe, Jan 1, 2015.

1. 0nethe
    OP

0nethe GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2013
    Mali
    Margen67 and TeamScriptKiddies like this.
  2. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    I think this is just what you get when you sign up for the developer program. Not much of anything special.

3. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    It is super illegal to share but its easy to legally get this on your hands.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Most modern console makers (including MS with the 360 and probably with the original as well) will have distinct lines with different keys for devs/early (p)reviewers and another for the unwashed masses, even Nintendo do it with the 3ds. I very much doubt MS changed anything here as it is a pretty effective security measure for when your dev kit leaks.

To that end it will no doubt be a fascinating read, even though modern dev kits are usually pretty light on hardware specs and hardware documentation compared to the days of old, but I doubt any homebrew will come from this, at least not for those with retail boxes rather than dev/reviewer boxes.

5. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    SDK won't get you anywhere when it comes to hacking a console. All we now have is a way for everyone to make homebrew applications ONCE the consoles gets hacked.
    Two different kind of shoes.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON YEEEEEERRRRRRSSSSS

Nov 20, 2014
    Victoria
    This can open doors though, the SDK will show how to sign your code and pretty much unwrap things. In a way, this is what happened with the Dreamcast.

The XBOX did indeed work similar. However as FAST mentioned, there was slight hardware differences with that one. Major one being is the Debug BIOS which was easily dumped, and written to the TSOP by very simple write points on the board being connected, and the 128MB of RAM compared to the 64MB on the retail Xboxes.

So let's wait and see, development Xboxes are not much different to the retail ones today. They just have a DevOS which is apparently going to be leaked too.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Would still require a way to install this OS with success and I guess there's a big mess around encryption and secured boot on the Xbox One that did not even existed with the Dreamcast...

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't see a reason to get excited, Microsoft already announced that they're going to release the devkit software for retail units in the foreseeable future. Every retail Xbox One is a devkit already, the option is just not enabled yet.

9. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Their position on that matter aint quite sure, afaik they might not release those tools publicly...

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Their position is clear as day.
    I suggest looking up ID@Xbox. Right now they're ironing out how devkits should work with more seasoned Indie devs to find out what extent of privileges is required for independent development to prosper.

11. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    I forgot all about that :). No reason the hack the XboxOne except maybe to run backups of retail games....but imo officially sanctioned homebrew trumps backup loading by a long shot :D.

Having the ability to officially develop and run homebrew without fear of losing it with an update would make it worth it to have to buy a second copy of a game if the disc gets trashed. Looks like the One is the next on my checklist for consoles to purchase :D