Xbox One Delayed in part of Europe and Russia

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by tj_cool, Aug 14, 2013.

1. tj_cool
    OP

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    Xone.jpg
    Microsoft has announced earlier today that the launch of the Xbox One console will be delayed to 2014 for certain European countries and Russia. The other countries will still get their Xbox One this November.

:arrow: Source and more info: http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

2. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Official info from Xbox Wire say that 8 of 21 countries had Xbox One release delayed. These countries are: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and Switzerland.

The remaining countries still are confirmed for November release.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

tj_cool likes this.
  3. tj_cool
    OP

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    We both posted at the same time :lol:

4. lokomelo

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    bad news spread fast :P

One side note here: I dont know about the others from the list, but, Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden have thought customer rights. Maybe MS is fearing something (I'm just speculating here, so please, dont ask for proofs)

Rydian likes this.
  5. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    May as well just hand Europe over to Sony now.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    So..
    This means that if you get a XBone in France, it's entirely in French and everything you can get will only be in French with no way to change it?

Hello Paypal, you're going to help me import one from the UK c:

Satangel and eyes like this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Yes to Austria yet no to the Netherlands...
    I suppose Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands could hop across the border (would be interesting to see it happen the other way for once) and I imagine some enterprising types in the chain shops will do some kind of wheeling and dealing to get a few in but that seems like an odd move.

Satangel likes this.
  8. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    How come it seems like every time they fix something that people didn't like with the Xbox One, they proceed to make another problem worse? This astoundingly limited launch is just going to hand people over to Sony. Many people aren't going to want to wait for whenever the hell Microsoft decides the One is ready to launch in their country, and for the many where it comes down to either Microsoft or Sony, the choice will be obvious if they're eager to get to next gen gaming.

9. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Oh boy. I really hope Xbox One doesn't mean the end of Microsoft's effort in the gaming industry. Doesn't bode well at all...

10. lokomelo

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    I must remember you that if a player is on a unsuported country and buy the XBOX ONE overseas he will face problems. Without use the Xbox Live many console functions and game features and contend will be not usable. Forza 5 for example, a huge part of content will be avaliable as a day one DLC.

11. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Or, they delayed in those territories in order to avoid shortages at home and in the battleground territories. The ability to do this is an added bonus of their going region free with the console.

As for those territories, if they're in dire need of an Xbox One they could just as easily import one.

We still haven't heard anything from Sony regarding their release, they could very well do the same.

12. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    This is because they will sell the German version in Austria without any differences. They don't have to localize anything.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Perhaps and almost certainly in the case of the menus and such like. I imagine there is probably some aspect of law for the country that would have to be complied with though and I am not sure how big the markets are (presumably they think it is big enough). Though it is easier than some might imagine pan European releases are odd things, add in IP laws, contest laws and consider subtle variations in safety and it gets worse.
    Going by the other countries you could also do some serious damage there (Switzerland and a decent chunk of Belgium if nothing else).

14. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    I really hope it does mean the end, I would be ecstatic actually. Microsoft has ruined the gaming industry.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  15. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Why? I've ignored Microsoft completely in my "history" of gaming and the gaming industry seems fine to me.
    Don't like it, don't buy it?

16. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    I won't buy it, I never have and never will. It's just my opinion MS is the company that started the big FPS push, believe it or not.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  17. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I don't know why you had to single out Russia in the title, part of Europe includes Russia too.

Wonder if any people in the affected countries will risk importing. Is MS gonna IP region block people where it's not on sale yet?

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I can not recall them giving much help, owning, developing or publishing much in the way of anything when they we called Doom clones, likewise they never bought Id when they were the hot stuff, I can not remember much when Unreal and Quake were ruling the roost and COD is an Activision property, Tom Clancy tends to work with Ubisoft and most other one time big companies/franchises tend to self publish, be published by one of the then bigs or work with one of the present major publishers. The closest they have thus far got is when they lucked out and bought a one time mac developer which went on to make Halo, I guess they also own Rare (XBLA perfect dark aside they have not really done the most there either), I believe they put effort in to have several games ported to their consoles and I guess many of Valve's key employees once worked for them.

Now I would be quite interested to hear how their business practices made a monopoly of graphics tech (though openGL still exists), how their business practices made a mockery of existing and oh so holy pricing models (though Doom and co were all kinds of shareware) of that their subsidised an entire industry to forget about things and make FPS titles the only profitable/easily profitable venture.

19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    I can't believe Australia isn't on that list; we're usually the last to get anything :lol:

Satangel likes this.
  20. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    At this rate, it's going to be the Xbox One Region by launch.

BAHIM Z 360 and T Link7 like this.