XBOX Live hackers selling stolen accounts on foreign auction sites

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Source: chubigans at Neogaf

Keep an eye on your accounts if you've played an EA game recently. More info about the hacking here

2. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    This isn't really much in the way of news. We had someone trying to sell them here on GBATemp a few months back, and as little as a year and a half ago these things were doing well on eBay. Still a good few US sites you can buy them from, although as it stands the only time I ever bought one of these was through TradeTang.

3. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Yes it is, it's happening more than ever before and Microsoft isn't really doing anything.
    He was and still is a failure.
    oh wow you bought one?
    can i tag people on gbatemp for being an idiot?

Edit: Haha, this is a real good example of Microsoft doing shit all http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34061302&postcount=498

2 people like this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Woah...thank god I don't own EA games.

Do we know which EA games are the cause or is it just Fifa?

5. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    If you have an EA account, it can happen.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Well shit. Better go make a better complicated password/security question then...

7. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States

Eh, I was (and still am) a poor college student with no money to buy real MSP, and curious as to how exactly their scam worked. Since it was my roommate's Xbox I didn't really care about any risk of being banned or anything. The way I figured it, the account was going to be purchased by someone, and since MS doesn't seem to give enough of a damn to do anything even when it's reported, I might as well be the one to take advantage of the offer if anyone was going to.

8. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Yay for XBL silver, Yay for no EA account.

Guess I'm lucky?

9. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    For one, you can't get banned or in any sort of trouble for using the accounts. Second, why are you such a douche to everyone? You're always saying stuff like "oh, this isn't news" and "if it's not an RPG, it sucks". TBH, I find you ripping on me for the account incident just childish now. I think everyone on this forum would be happy if you just backed off for once.

10. mucus

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    I think prowler is alway relevant and makes strong points.
    You however I find to be innane and irrelevant.
    Please don't try to flame on this forum, it's not appreciated.

5 people like this.
  11. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I didn't say he was an idiot because that can happen, he's an idiot because people are loosing money (and sometimes they can't even claim back because of how Microsoft acts) all because he wants to save a few bucks.
    AM I? I DIDN'T NOTICED MR. BLACKLISTED TRADER
    >always
    I can't remember the last time I've called USN threads, not news but when I do, I usually mean it.
    JOKES MAN, TAKE EM.
    Yeah I'm sure everyone would love that, being the #1 most liked Temper.

8 people like this.
  12. mucus

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    furthermore-
    You're a blacklisted trader.
    Doesn't that mean that you've scammed someone in some way before?
    So really you are a detreminte to the community as a whole.

4 people like this.
  13. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    They're against the terms of service. Go figure.
    Why are you being a douche and openly attacking a member for their choice of wording? Such a move is in reality nothing more than childish, 'so I think everyone in this thread would be happy if you just backed off for once'.
    Oh, and like before, flaming is against the rules. You sure aren't very proficient with what can get people banned in various places.

14. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I regret selling that XBL account. If it makes my defense any better, I didn't even steal it myself. Also, before that I've done multiple transactions with members from here. Hell, I've even done commerce with members here after I was blacklisted. I'm not a scammer.

15. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    This is quite a old process, that's just recently coming into light due to the person on the lady's account giving out some information. I was aware of a few things, but by reading her blog (I suppose you could call it.) I've learned a few more I'll keep for future reference. I myself haven't heard of the EA Account hacking, but before these things were done by people creating RATs renaming them as "MS Point Generators, PSN Money Generators" and distributing them over the internet. (Youtube has a ton.) Though distributing the RAT over Youtube gained them a lot of people, it was slow and unsucessful. So the next thing they did in collaboration with their Youtube videos was go into public chatrooms dedicated to gaming, and spam their RAT to unsuspecting people. (Typically children, who don't know much about them.) When someone downloaded the RAT, the person who made it would prompt them to sign into their (XBL,PSN,WoW,Steam) accounts after running the RAT in order to get it to work. Afterwords, someone's account has been hacked and their parents card charged multiple times.

I'm glad however of her success story, but it's a shame Microsoft didn't better help here. The Help line is quite generic, I'll list you down the run through.

~Is the Xbox powered on?
    ~Did you clear the cache?
    ~Are you updated?
    ~Go to your download history
    ~Delete, and redownload your profile

If none of the above worked, they'll "escalate" your case to someone that might be able to. (I've been escalated 3 times to be told I couldn't be helped.)

16. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    This is old stuff that they finally brought into light>.. All these if not most where used for the whole "Non Jtag" stuff.People using these accounts can be and many have been banned because of it with some getting console banned and most getting profile banned.Microsoft ignoring this as a problem is stupid because they have been combatting this for about a year and a half already.Just recently with the new dash they finally stopped non jtag but have yet to stop the stolen profile purchases.

17. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    True, but typically the source of which the accounts were obtained were never questioned or given.

Now, I'm sure TradeTang will get a increased spawn of users due to the face time it's getting. I'm sure Microsoft is aware of the site, but can they really do anything? I always assumed if the website host, was out of range for them to do anything that they were "Out of Range, Out of Mind".

As for account, I always put a recovery email address in. In case I lose access to my account, I can get the info sent to my other one. This can also be negated, as you can change the Windows Live email address associated with a GamerTag. So those recovery email address wouldn't work in getting your profile back.

18. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    How much would 10,000 MicroSoft Points cost retail? Is it $100.00 dollars like I think?

19. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Two step verification would greatly reduce hacking but I don't think Microsoft has one set up yet?

1 person likes this.
  20. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    10k ms points retail would cost you around 120-130 dollars where as buying it off hand from someone selling accounts can go from 15-20 with some if lucky getting them for practically free sometimes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.