Xbox Live games coming to other platforms

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Microsoft’s heavily rumored plan to bring Xbox Live games to platforms other than Windows Phone is a reality.
While the company would not reveal specific plans, a Microsoft spokesperson all but confirmed them by telling Inside Mobile Apps “while the Xbox Live experiences and games always work best on the Windows platform, we understand that some Xbox fans may be using other types of devices. To satisfy that need, we are working to extend a few of our Xbox experiences and titles to other platforms.”

Rumors Xbox Live games would no longer be a Windows phone exclusive began to pick up steam in early January, when LiveSide and Business Insider spotted a job description for a developers with iOS and Android experience to “bring the latest and greatest gaming and entertainment experience to mobile platforms including Windows Phone, iOS and other mobile platforms.”

When asked about when the same Xbox Live experience available on Windows Phone would be available for iOS and Android, the company remained tight-lipped, saying “we are laser-focused on providing the best mobile Xbox Live experience to our customers, regardless of platform.”

While Microsoft currently advertises Windows Phone as the only phone with “mobile office, Xbox Live, mobile app, and more” its clear Microsoft is focusing on extending its console gaming business into the mobile lucrative mobile market, with the release of iOS versions of Xbox Live and its first-party game Kinectimals in December.
Microsoft would not reveal specific revenue figures or user numbers for either app, only stating “My Xbox Live and the ‘Kinectimals’ companion experience have both been well received by iOS users.”

http://www.insidemob...ther-platforms/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thank goodness for that, Windows Phone smells. Ever since they switched from the Windows Mobile kernels and got rid of multitasking, among other essential features, I lost interest in their line of mobile operating systems.

D

Deleted_171835

Thank goodness for that, Windows Phone smells. Ever since they switched from the Windows Mobile kernels and got rid of multitasking, among other essential features, I lost interest in their line of mobile operating systems.
You can multitask in Mango. And honestly, it was a good thing that they switched from Windows Mobile. That was shit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can multitask in Mango. And honestly, it was a good thing that they switched from Windows Mobile. That was shit.
Clearly you've never owned a proper Windows Mobile device then. That "s*it" did absolutely everything and more and the kernel itself had basically limitless capacity for expansions and plug-ins, much like the "desktop" kernels of Windows.

D

Deleted_171835

Clearly you've never owned a proper Windows Mobile device then. That "s*it" did absolutely everything and more and the kernel itself had basically limitless capacity for expansions and plug-ins, much like the "desktop" kernels of Windows.
Oh, I did use Windows Mobile. I had a Pocket PC a while back and tried out Windows Mobile 6.5 for a bit. The OS is slow, the on-screen keyboard is utter shit, browser sucks and the UI is horrible. Mango is a huge improvement.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, I did use Windows Mobile. I had a Pocket PC a while back and tried out Windows Mobile 6.5 for a bit. The OS is slow, the on-screen keyboard is utter shit, browser sucks and the UI is horrible. Mango is a huge improvement.
Nobody ever uses Internet Explorer on a Windows Mobile device - the browser of choice is Skyfire (due to its Flash support) or Opera, really. The on-screen keyboard was just fine since the system was designed to utilize a stylus, but if you don't particularily like it, there's like a kajizillion of keyboards to choose from. It's likely that the OS was sluggish because it was turned on in Optimized mode which picks the least battery-monging stepping for the processor - you can change that yourself, the CPU-controlling functions are built-in. Not to mention that Windows Mobile devices have probably the best GPS/AGPS capabilities and are SDIO-ready, at least most of them. There's quite a few that actually have a USB-Host too, as the system supports that function. There's really lots and lots of stuff you can do on 6.5, although I do prefere 5.0 myself - it's just quicker.

D

Deleted_171835

Nobody ever uses Internet Explorer on a Windows Mobile device - the browser of choice is Skyfire (due to its Flash support) or Opera, really. The on-screen keyboard was just fine since the system was designed to utilize a stylus, but if you don't particularily like it, there's like a kajizillion of keyboards to choose from. It's likely that the OS was sluggish because it was turned on in Optimized mode which picks the least battery-monging stepping for the processor - you can change that yourself, the CPU-controlling functions are built-in. Not to mention that Windows Mobile devices have probably the best GPS/AGPS capabilities and are SDIO-ready, at least most of them. There's quite a few that actually have a USB-Host too, as the system supports that function. There's really lots and lots of stuff you can do on 6.5, although I do prefere 5.0 myself - it's just quicker.
Windows Mobile 6.5 is a mess. Parts of the OS are designed for a finger and others are for a stylus. While I do agree that Opera was pretty much the de-facto browser, that doesn't excuse the fact that IE Mobile is shit. I personally detest the start screen on it. Compared to iOS 3 at the time, Windows Mobile 6.5 was a usability nightmare. The entire thing needed an overhaul which Windows Phone 7 thankfully brought. I'm quite big on aesthetics and the entire OS (6.5) looked horrific. It certainly seemed like Microsoft had hired a programmer to do a UX designers job. Mobile 6.5 was crap.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're focusing too much on the U.I while I focus on the actual capabilities of the system, which have been severely cut short in the new revisions in favour of having "purdy icons". The new Windows Phone devices have little to offer for a user like myself while the previous line of PocketPC's was exactly what the name implies - Pocket PC's.

It's a regression, not improvement, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ITT: People arguing about Windows Mobile vs Windows Phone 7.

Honestly, if I want Xbox Live, I'm gonna play it on it's native platform. The Xbox.

Otherwise, Android OS all the way.
This exactly. (Except iOS is good too :P)

I'm not a huge fan of iOS, but it isn't bad. I'm not really a fan of Apple outside of the iPod Classic (for the sheer amount of storage it offers), but to each their own.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ITT: People arguing about Windows Mobile vs Windows Phone 7.

Honestly, if I want Xbox Live, I'm gonna play it on it's native platform. The Xbox.

Otherwise, Android OS all the way.
The thing is, Xbox Live on Windows Phone is XBLA, which IMO is more suited towards mobile gaming. You wouldn't want to sit in front of your Xbox to play Minesweeper, would you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.