Gaming xbox flash

slyfirth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi
to mod a xbox 360 you flash the drive ?
can you take the drive thats in the xbox 360 out and put a flashed drive in?
cheers

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The drive going in needs to be flashed with the drive keys of the 360 it is going into (as in you can not just yank a flashed drive from one machine and stick it in yours).

If you want to pull your drive, flash another and use that instead (keeping your original drive stock) then it is entirely possible; you just need to dump the drive keys from it.
If it is a different model then you will need to spoof it but your flashing/firmware making tools will probably take care of that automatically (the big two of jungleflasher and firmtool certainly will).

slyfirth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so i can take the one out of my xbox 360
get a new one spoof the key then flash the drive
when you flash the drive it does nothing to the motherboard in the xbox?
i would like to keep the xbox 360 dive and put another drive in to flash can i put the first one back in if i what to sell it and it will work
best guide for flashing have had a look on youtube and there is lots but would like to no which is the best way new with the xbox but have done psps wiis
any help would be good
cheers

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Drives have commands that the 360 can use to say
"what drive model is this?" and the drive replies with the model it is.
This response however is controlled by the firmware so it is the response to this command that is spoofed.

For a proper guide the one darkcrudus just linked is what I would link.

General order of things would be to

take the drive out of your 360

Get keys from said drive

Bench old drive as it is not necessary any more

Use key dump from drive to build firmware for new/spare drive (note if you had a liteon drive and you dumped the keys from that and the drive you are to use is a benq then you need the hacked benq firmware.

Flash new drive with newly made firmware.

Put new drive with said newly made firmware on it into 360

Play games.

It does not touch the motherboard of the 360, the motherboard stuff is only for homebrew.

I will note that if it is not a 7 series or 8 (v1- the one you can easily dump keys for) series liteon then as part of the flashing you will get a copy of your original firmware which you can just flash back if you want.

slyfirth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
can i put the new drive in flash it before turning my xbox on so it works with my xbox 360
put the one that i take out in and it will work
or do i have to make the new one work with the xbox before flashing it

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you're going to be sticking in a flashed drive, you might as well just flash the drive it came with. All drives except LiteOn can be flashed back to their original state, and there's no real advantage to selling it with original firmware in favour of custom firmware. It's simply easier and cheaper this way.

However if you still want another drive, you can take any drive and spoof it like the original drive using the original drive key. Once you have the drive key of the original drive, it's only a couple more clicks of the mouse to flash it with iXtreme anyway. When you spoof the drive though, you also have to spoof the drive firmware to make it "look" like the original drive. The Xbox seems not to like it when you stick in (for example) a Samsung drive when it originally came with a LiteOn. This is only one small extra step in the process though, once you have the original drive key.

Anyway, I'm lazy with linking guides and can just explain what I know. iXtreme 1.61 for Samsung and BenQ is currently the firmware you should be looking for, or 1.51 for Hitachi. If you've got a LiteOn, you only get 1.6. JungleFlasher is what I use for flashing most of the time and has always worked fine for me (along with the JungleFlasher tutorial on the site). If you have a LiteOn 7x drive, you will need a connectivity kit with a probe/spear to stick into the PCB (bought or homemade probe). If it's LiteOn 8x v2 or 9x, it will take a lot more effort. Basically, the newer the LiteOn, the more annoying it is to flash it.

Oh, and FYI, flashing the drive does not affect the motherboard at all, however iXtreme is detectable so don't try going online at any time with a flashed drive
biggrin.gif

EDIT: lots of posts whilst I was typing ;p

slyfirth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok so if i flash this drive i can flash it again back to the org firmware
this place is fab you all no your mods
wacko.gif
gbasp.gif

one thing sata do you have to use on motherboard on pc if you have a usb adapter can you use that

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lite-on can be flashed back to it's original state now. New method (where you cut tracks or lift pins) dumps the whole firmware.

Also no, you can't use a usb->sata adapter on any of the new drives. Only the pre-78 hitachis can be done with a usb adapter.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends what you consider hard

74850c, requires extra hardware, but not really hard, you just have to give the pcb a poke.
83850 v1, easy, all software, nothing extra needed.
83850 v2 and 93450, you have to cut tracks or lift pins and solder to get the key from them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The "effort" is only there to dump the key, flashing a hacked firmware in is trivial (you get it detected and press send).
Without the key you can not get a working setup and flashing a drive without having the key wins you a brick for a 360 you got the drive form unless you have homebrew (if you have updated/purchased it recently you can not use homebrew and there is no upcoming homebrew exploit).

As you asked Wave 4 (and 5)
1.51 on Hitachi runs out of the box. On all the other drives if you are using 1.51 there is no way to get wave 4* games running.

1.6 on everything with a special disc (the iso for it comes with the firmware download). It is available for all drive models but Hitachi (which does not matter as 1.51 Hitachi runs it).

1.61 runs out of the box. It is only available for the samsung and benq drives.

The upcoming LT firmware will also run them but no ETA for it is available. Earlier firmwares can also run wave 4 and 5 games but it is hard to suggest them at this point.

*there are methods to change the wave of an iso but we really really really advise against it- wave patched games

slyfirth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so i will have to see what drive is in the xbox has its not caming till wednesday
so which firmware you use is down to the drive
cheers all
will be back for help when its here think i am going to flash it when i get it

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If coming this Wednesday means it is brand new there is a distinct chance that it a brand new model and this means a 8xxxxx v2 or 9 series liteon, it will require some fair skills to dump the key ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=194329) and the only hacked firmwares presently available are hacked official releases which in all likelihood will get you banned from live if you care about that sort of thing (actually all hacked firmwares will probably cause this which is what the upcoming LT hacked firmware is supposed to sort).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning