Xbox - dvd format UDF or iso 9660

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Slimmmmmm, Nov 18, 2008.

Nov 18, 2008
  1. Slimmmmmm
    OP

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I got an xbox original and decided to turn it into a cheapy media centre.

I did the hdd swap, soft modded and put on some apps etc to test.

Now, some strange things I've found and I'm hoping someone can help me by naming some apps that will work the way I want them.

Now I ask for help because in my testing of apps I made a few discoveries, but after searching online most of the info is old and can't be easily found.

The problem
    The xbox only plays some DVDs, I want it to play them all.
    I've burned many DATA DVD's in iso 9660 format in the past. When I tried them on the xbox some worked some didn't. None were multi session btw, so that's not the problem.
    They all work fine in my pc and xvid player.
    I reburned a few that didn't work and tried several things.
    Force Xbox compatibility always works for me, however UDF and iso 9660 sometimes do, and sometimes don't.

A solution ?

I placed a DATA DVD iso 9660 it contain a mixed batch of things, I made years ago like most of my DATA DVDs.
    On the dashboard when the DVD is read it freezes, the only way to recover is power off.

However if I load up "X Boy Advance" the emulator, when it asks me to load a rom I escape that screen to view my partitions.
    There are 2 very interesting ones:
    R:\(UDF DVD-ROM)
    S:\(ISO9660 DVD-ROM)

You can guess what I will say next [​IMG] It loads no problem what so ever if loaded through the 9660 selection.
    So, what app can I get for the Xbox original, that will play MP3, DIV3, Xvid etc when it's been recorded as 9660? (as 99% of mine are).

I have the pimped XBMC, softmodded using Ndure, and the dash is UnleashX.

Sorry for explaining so much but so I don't need to re-explain.

I'm very greatful for anyone that can help me resolve this [​IMG]

I'm reading through this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBoxMediaCenter#Limitations
    about XBMC just now, I think I'll need to find another xbox app for playing my Xvids etc from my DVD's, I really, really don't want to re-burn everything.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most of mine are dual format but my first guess would have been booktype/disc type:
    http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Linux_...D_Burning_HOWTO
    This does not seem to be the case with you though.

XBMC however is different. It supports ISO9660 and UDF (1.02 spec only) but attempts to guess:
    http://xbmc.org/about/features/
    Fortunately most discs are/apps use that or below.
    Back on topic you have seen the ability for both formats to be used, xbmc however should default to iso9660 unless necessary (you can force it either way though):
    http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Advancedsettings.xml

Please note however IMGburn (you said nothing of it but most guides/people advocate it (myself included)) defaults and sometimes including with version updates back to 8:3 names iso9660 rather than the longer names or mode2 or X.

Lastly XBMC features some serious network stuff and I highly recommend it.

Next up I suggest xbmc from either t3ch or AID/autoinstaller deluxe, pimped is OK but I have had/seen issues with it in the past.

3. Slimmmmmm
    OP

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the tips FAST6191, your very helpful in my quest to get this all going the cheapest way possible.

I am doing soooooooo much reading on this just now, after posting I analyised a few DVD's and it seems that the naming, structure, size and format are fine. Also the brand of dvd must also be ok.
    I am guessing it is something in XBMC settings too, weird because it accepts some, and others freeze the xbox totally, yet all tested meet the requirements for 9660 on xbox (yeah, I've read a lot on this)

As for setting up SMB share, I plan on doing that too [​IMG]

Before I get it all networked though, I would love to get this sorted first. These will be for kids rooms, so I need them to accept dvds no probs (I'll get there).
    I want to learn from the start, I'm not one that wants a quick fix.

I was thinking, if putting in these dvds crashes the xbox on the dashboard screen, is it not maybe something in the dash settings?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sorry for not replying (and missing you on IRC).
    I am somewhat stumped for ideas, I agree probably it is a problem with the xbmc file structure parsing code but I would still like another xbox to test them in.
    Also I would like to see what happens with a replacement drive:
    http://www.xboxscene.com/articles/swap-dvd.php (you already have had the case open so it should be a cinch).

Also I highly suggest finding a remote, I scored one from CEX a few months back for £5.