Xbox AR Glasses could be coming soon

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony and Oculus can't have all the fun amirite? According to some rumors floating around, Microsoft has been filing for patents for AR type wearable tech to be used with the Kinect and Xbox platform.

The company is currently applying for over eighty patents related to AR glasses, fuelling rumours that it's looking to create some sort of wearable Xbox One peripheral.

According to TechCrunch's report, Microsoft has coughed up as much as $150 million to buy the needed assets from wearable firm Osterhout Design Group - although it decided against snapping up the company entirely.

Kinect the dots

Back in 2012, an Xbox product roadmap leaked revealing some glasses described as "Kinect Shades."

Incidentally, the leaked files stated that the glasses SDK would be issued to developers by 2014. And would you look at the time!

Sorry for all the formatting as I'm posting the news from mobile. But what does everyone think about this? Personally id favor the use of AR type glasses over a full friggen headset engulfing my face so I'll certainly be on the lookout for these.

Source: http://m.techradar.com/news/gaming/...ood-fit-for-xbox-one-1238370?src=rss&attr=all

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just happened to read just yesterday that in order to keep their working technology a secret, innovative companies tend to register far more patents than they're ever going to use (and TBH, that's nothing new either). So that really isn't saying much.

Also...it's kinda strange that I have to mention this, but...microsoft does more than just xbox stuff. Even if they're really going to make them, it's not said that it'll be for the xbone.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AR is one of those things that is fun as a novelty for maybe half an hour, then it's like meh; enough.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could Microsoft shatter Google Glass?

No, no, probably not, but at least this competition should be fun to watch from the sidelines.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM