Xbox All Access announced, lets you pay monthly for an Xbox console bundle

IMG_0689.JPG

Microsoft is continuing to heavily market their "games as a service" plan, with the success of their Game Pass service. The company has furthered this idea by recently announcing Xbox All Access, which will allow for consumers to pay a monthly fee for an Xbox One bundle that comes with Xbox Live and Game Pass as well. Instead of paying upfront, you'll instead pay $21.99 a month for an Xbox One S, or $34.99 for the more powerful Xbox One X, both of which include the aforementioned Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold. You pay this fee for a contract of 24 months, after which you get to keep the system for no interest, assuming you made all your payments on time. After combining all the payments, customers will pay just a little bit more than they would have by buying two years of Game Pass and Xbox Live alongside a console, however, the bonus to this deal is that you do not have to come up with all of the cost at once.

Currently, this appears to be a limited time plan, and only available to those in the United States at this time. You'll also need to visit a physical Microsoft Store to actually sign up for Xbox All Access.

:arrow: Source

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Fascinating idea. For the price of a year of switch online, i could get a whole new console with online and unlimited access to a backlog of games. Reasonably priced and sounds very neat.

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
Fascinating idea. For the price of a year of switch online, i could get a whole new console with online and unlimited access to a backlog of games. Reasonably priced and sounds very neat.
The problem is the precedent this establishes (points over to Windows 10 software as a service). If people buy into this, in Micro$oft fashion, it will stop being a 'reasonable' deal and their next console might be completely managed by this service. It's not a slippery slope fallacy when the company doing it keeps holding to the model of a slippery slope.

Reactions: Ryccardo

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Makes sense given the low console sales for them this gen. I don't think it's a particularly bad package either, it's a neat idea imo.
~50M so far apparently... WAY behind the PS4, but still not that bad - give or take it's roughly the same as last gen for them (it's just the PS4 is a juggernaut in comparison)
For the S it's great value, and still a little cheaper than rrp like mentioned for the better option of the X (assuming you have the 4K TV to go with it) - Game Pass alone is also fantastic, well worth the price - then you've got the now excellent list of titles on BC for it: gotta hand it to MS ...I just sort of wish some of thought put in to these great ideas was instead spent on making new games..?

Last edited by mightymuffy,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ew, who rents things these days?

That's almost as bad a buying second-hand item :mellow:

Plenty of people rent their car, smartphone, etc.. Not saying I would, or if this is a good deal (or not) just it's not a crazy thing to rent an expensive luxury item.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, if you don't like it, are you stuck with it for two years?
Since you appear to be locked into a 2 year contract, I expect you'd have to pay a cancellation fee if you decided to cancel it prematurely, and I'm sure they'll make you pay to ship the console back to them as well.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pity the game libraries for the xbone is so poor in general, not to mention actually lesser than the PS4 (in the 360 it was kicking all kinds of arse, exclusives, first versions, best versions of a given game, even those exclusives it lacked were not terribly missed until later in the day and even then it was debatable -- https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps3-and-360-exclusives-a-discussion.360416/ ). Granted it is not for me as on principle I avoid having monthly costs for anything, contracts even more so.

What is the matter with second hand? It is a good way to get things cheaply.

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did this with the 360 as well, but I think it'll work out better on the Xbone as shortly after the service was announced for the 360, RGH was discovered. So when someone didn't pay and the console was locked out, you just hacked the console and removed the lock out of the kernel. I was finding lots of these non-payment locked consoles in 2015. Now not so much. I imagine they've all been found and hacked.

D

Deleted User

*signs contract, hacks system to remove all DRM and such, flees to China or something*
"Haha yes! This was all totally worth it! Take that, Microsoft!"

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
This may be worth it if you were planning on buying Xbox Live and the 2 year game pass. If you weren't planning on buying both of them (with or without a discount) and only want the console this is a bad investment.

BUT, if you do want the console and both of the services, then this actually ends up slightly cheaper in the long run.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I already have an XbOne, I wonder if I can do this for a month, cancel it and return the Xbox, but keep 2 years of Live and Game Pass for $35...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They're bringing this back? Wow.. I did this once with the Xbox 360. Half of my payments never went through, then they tried to come after me 2 years later for $150. I was not a happy camper.

Still, if done right this will be a good option for some people. Hell, some people think Rent a Center is the way to go.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since I already have an XbOne, I wonder if I can do this for a month, cancel it and return the Xbox, but keep 2 years of Live and Game Pass for $35...
You'll be paying monthly. So, no. It's like a contract deal, you return the Xbox you nix the Contract. Unless they don't watch it.

Last edited by Kioku,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did this deal with 360 too. At least at Toys R Us. Just like rent-a-center. Want something now because you're impatient and get fucked in the process? They'll be happy to accommodate.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is not renting, you get to keep the hardware. Is basically free financing, where you are buying the system and subscriptions but paying for them montly instead of upfront, and still save a couple of dollars from MSRP.

EDIT: Obviously, not counting future price drops and such

I don't understand why people keep bringing up future price drops into the equation. You get the system TODAY, not when the price drops a year from now.

Not trying to attack you or anything, but I saw another user asking if his payments would lower if the hardware MSRP dropped in the future.

Do people think that financed car payments drop every year as newer models hit the market? It hurts my brain that people think financing works that way...

Last edited by Tony_93,
Reactions: GamingAori

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 10180p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality