XBox 360 X-Clamp Replacement

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by martin88, Sep 18, 2007.

Sep 18, 2007

XBox 360 X-Clamp Replacement by martin88 at 2:34 PM (3,801 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. martin88
    OP

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Hi,
    I read the topic on xbox-scene, it seems that there are two method of replacing the x-clamp. I'm wondering which method is better.

Also, does the two method uses the same part? I have a HomeDepot near me and just want to make sure that these:
    Are what I need to complete the fix.

Also, should I replace the fan with Talismoon Whisper Fan? If so, what's the best place to order to Canada?

Thanks a lot.

2. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    Use Lawdawg's method. A lot more straightforward (the other method requires drilling). My 360 is still very happy 2 months later. [​IMG]

You also need these (sorry I don't know any good canadian suppliers):

Conductive Paste: Arctic Silver 5 is recommended, but I used Ceramique which works just as well. website (you need arcticlean too)
    XCM Unlock Tool: I can strip a 360 in under 5 minutes with this baby. Website
    Torx Screwdriver: You need T10 and T8 sizes. You get a T10 with the XCM tool, so you can either buy a T8 or an 8in1 like this.

And yes, get a whisper fan. It keeps your console cool and looks... er, cool! [​IMG]

I got most of the above on ebay which worked out quite cheap. I even found a Ceramique+ArctiClean bundle on there which saved me almost £4.

3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You noticed a difference with the whisper fan? It just seemed as loud and the console still froze. Only difference is it lights up. At the moment I use an intercooler to stop my 360 freezing. But it still seems to freeze. Maybe I will have to do the x clamp fix myself someday.

4. jimmy j

United Kingdom
    adgloride, if your console is freezing you're probably witnessing the first symptoms of RRoD and you can't expect a fan to fix it. If you do end up needing to do the x-clamp fix, I say use the Lawdawg method.

I didn't really buy the whisper for the noise problem (that is down to the dvd drive anyway) I just wanted to add some extra cooling as a preventative measure. The whisper definitely extracts hot air better than the stock fan.

BTW. I looked into the intercooler a while back and a lot of users said they were extremely loud. Plus I saw those pictures of heat-damaged 360's apparently caused by intercoolers.

[​IMG]

kinda put me off [​IMG]

5. capt.fruitcake

Newcomer capt.fruitcake Advanced Member

Netherlands
  6. martin88
    OP

Canada
    I have everything except for the Talismoon Fan, which I already ordered from GamerSection.ca.

Should I wait for the fan or start with the mod?

7. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    You should go ahead and do it. Hopefully it'll work. Mine was fixed with the x-clamp replacement, but my cousin's 360 was not so lucky. We had to replace the motherboard.

8. jimmy j

United Kingdom
    I would have said wait for the fan and do everything at the same time, but if you're in a hurry, go for it! [​IMG]

9. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    They are really loud. So far I've never had a problem. It fixed the freezing for a while. I still seem to get it occationally though.

10. jimmy j

United Kingdom
    Let me guess... usually during graphic intensive games like Dead Rising, Gears or Bioshock?

11. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    so that whisper fan is worth buying? would it be a good idea to put on a new 360 for preventitive measures to try and stave off needing to do an xclamp fix?

i remember my brother in law put one kind on his and like 2 days later it overheated i dont know which fan it was?

12. jimmy j

United Kingdom
    If it's a modded 360, then I'd do anything you can to keep the internals cool. Whisper fan is a good start, but there are a few other things you can do as well. Check xbox-scene for tuts on the shroud mod and adding an extra internal fan.

This chart measures the effects of each cooling mod

13. Bob Loblaw

United States
    nice thanks jimmy j!

14. martin88
    OP

Canada
    Just to make sure, the x-clamp replacement is for both CPU and GPU right?

15. jimmy j

United Kingdom
    Yes. You're going to remove both x-clamps

16. Bob Loblaw

United States
    ok one more question, jimmy j, the lawdawg method says to clean the old thermal compound off the chips but doesnt say anything bout putting new thermal compound on? should i put new thermal compound on, and if so what kind?

also should i do all this before i even get the rlod just to try and prevent it? or should i just wait til i get the rlod for the first time?

17. jimmy j

United Kingdom
    Wait until the RRoD hits your console properly (appears within 1 minute of switch-on). You can use the RRoD as a signal to tell you if the mod has worked, or if you still need to adust things slightly.

18. Bob Loblaw

United States
    nice thanks jimmy j! [​IMG]

19. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
  20. genjutsu

Newcomer genjutsu Newbie

Nigeria
    please do you know an alternative for the nylon washers? i live in Nigeria and i found it hard to find metal washers, i'm still searching for the screws.

[​IMG]