Xbox 360 tops Wii and PS3 for 1st time in yearly global sales

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Feb 3, 2012.

1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom

[​IMG]

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 has been dominating its home turf for the past couple of years, sitting atop the monthly sales charts for the U.S. video-game console market, but the Redmond company has just taken the title of top-selling home console worldwide, as well.

Sony’s earnings report, issued yesterday, puts the PlayStation 3 at 6.5 million units sold worldwide for the holiday quarter, topping the 5.6 million units registered by Nintendo’s Wii for the same period — but falling short of the 8.2 million Xbox 360 sales reported by Microsoft.

According to data compiled by GeekWire, it’s the first time since 2006 that the Xbox 360 has led worldwide holiday sales since 2006, when the PlayStation 3 and Wii were just being launched, posting a partial quarter and not yet ramping up their manufacturing to meet demand.

Here’s the bigger news: The Xbox 360′s strong holiday quarter also put the Microsoft console ahead in worldwide sales globally for the full year of 2011, with 14.9 million units sold, compared with 14.1 million for the PS3 and 10.33 million for the Wii.

According to our data, compiled from historical earnings reports, it’s first time the Xbox 360 has topped the worldwide console market for a full year of head-to-head competition with the PS3 and Wii.

Microsoft’s surge reflects the strong reception for the Kinect motion sensor and the expansion of the console as a home entertainment device, enabled by regular software updates.
    Don Mattrick, the Microsoft video-game chief, had predicted last year at the E3 conference that Xbox 360 would become the No. 1 console globally.

On a cumulative basis, Nintendo is still the king of the current console generation, with 95 million Wiis sold worldwide, compared with 66 million Xbox 360 for Microsoft and 62 million PS3s for Sony.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139561

Wii is definitely at the end of its life cycle. Not shocking.

2. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    hmm how come? any new game released? or is there is a calculation issue? many xbxs have already been sold so i wonder who is buying them now that the ps3 is rising. as above stated, probably it is now increasing its range of countries or distribution while the ps3 is probably not doing so

3. princefarzan

Member princefarzan GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Kinect that's what (coupled with few but quality first party "HARDCORE" titles and 3rd party support/exclusives).

4. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    To my opinion.. Wii isn't competitive with those two because those two are almost alike and they are more competitive at each others. Wii is almost like PS2 but more powerful and it doesnt count anyway. Silly link.

5. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
  6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Well done XBox! Looks like Live still IS a magnet for players. Plus, the store is quite good - dare I say, the best this generation?

7. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
  8. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I just got my first 360 last year, so I'm citing a finally lowered price as the cause of this.
    (it was the main selling point for me)

9. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
  10. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I think everyone and their mom just owns a Wii at this point, it had it's run, sold like hotcakes. Now it'll die down, right on time for the WiiU

11. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    My mom does own a wii.

:( She's 52.

Now she can play board games without losing the pieces....

12. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    I'm considering getting a 360, just I want to wait for E3 so i don't get annoyed if they announce something new.
    But then again... WiiU...
    If the Windows 360 rumors are true for E3 then... 360...

13. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    See? I was being totally literal! My mom owns one too.

14. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    LOL I would only buy an XBOX 360 for console excusive games. Multi-platforms game might as well be played on a PS3. Ex. FF XIII-2 lags on XBOX 360. Doesn't on the PS3.

Anyway, this makes sense since the Wii is nearing the end of its life and the XBOX 360 has been revamped with the Kinect. WOOT.

15. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Pretty much this. I do like some of the Wii games (MONSTER HUNTER TRI ZOMG) but yeah it's pretty much at the end of its lifespan.

And meh. I'll only get an Xbox when Live Silver has more stuff added to it. Live is fantastic IMO, but the free version is just so plain.

16. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    Wow, they actually got pretty cheap. Didn't notice because I've been busy playing PC games with glorious visuals, cheap prices, and free multiplayer.

17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Actually, the majority of multiplatform games are developed on the 360 first (resulting in less bugs). Yes, there are exceptions like the one you mentioned, but I can easily name 5 multiplatform games that run better on the 360 from the top of my head (Skyrim, Bayonetta, Call of Duty, Fallout 3, the earlier games in the GH/Rock Band series).

1 person likes this.
  18. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Fascinating.

Anyway, this is some pretty great news for Microsoft. The only problem is that it kind of puts them in a bind; they'll need to announce a new console sometime soon to compete with Nintendo while not cutting the 360's life short in the process. I wouldn't be surprised if they will unveil any new services/Live adjustments (Cheaper Gold, more robust Silver, etc.) to keep it selling like hotcakes.

19. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Once I see a good offer for a 360 and it's (almost) fully hackable for the nice homebrew (USB/HDD loading in particular), I may consider buying one. So many games already waiting to be played so it really is about how cheap one could get it..

ps. Comparing a good gaming PC costs with a console is quite funny.. At least you can trust that the console runs the game without any problems (glitches yes, but no major issues) :P

20. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    You would think after seeing such high sales year after year... Everyone would have one already!