Xbox 360..should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Tragedies, Aug 10, 2008.

Aug 10, 2008

Xbox 360..should I buy it? by Tragedies at 1:15 PM (1,075 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Tragedies
    OP

Member Tragedies GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm currently in the proccess of selling my Wii. It's modded, two controllers, original packaging etc etc. I'm hoping to get about 500 for it (key word is hoping).

Anyway, I'm sure this will buy my atleast a 360 Pro and Halo 3, and with the included Xbox Live Gold for a month, that should get me going. However, last I checked on the status of a 360 was months ago, and was just recently curious on the stability.

Has the 360 at all improved over the past few months? Or are RRODs still very common? Do you guys reccomend buying now or waiting? I've been hearing of price drops and such, but also hearing these are fake.

Any help is always appreciated.

-mikey

2. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    yes, it has improved.

The falcon models are unlikely to RROD as much as the other older models.

I say buy now!

3. Tragedies
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the advice =D

Is Microsoft likely to update the model's interiors any time soon, though?

4. Prime

United Kingdom
    Yes, there is 2 new version coming out later on.There was 3 but 'Opus' was spotted in Repair consoles.

Ther two versions are:

Jasper, Jasper will be released in late 2008 to introduce the 65 nm GPU and reduce the cost and power usage further and Valhalla, A future version that will have both the CPU and GPU on a single die.

http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Revisions

5. Tragedies
    OP

Australia
    That's pretty cool.

So no approx. release of Valhalla?

Either way, I'll probably wait for Jasper. I'll look up more ifnormation on it.

Thanks for the info.

6. Prime

United Kingdom
    No, there is no date for Valhalla.

If i was you i'd buy one right now, You will get falcon and that is reported to less RROD. I have a falcon and it has been fine for 4 months now.

7. Tragedies
    OP

Australia
    Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

So confusing, though sometimes. Buy now, or wait. Buy, or wait. Pros and cons for each side, you know.

8. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    If you're planning on modding it, it's gonna be buy older model (as in older than Lite-On drive ones) now, as your chances of getting a flashable drive is decreasing. (Waiting for Lite-On drives to become flashable may or may not require extreme patience =P)

If you're not planning on modding it, it's gonna be buy 60GB model now. When your console RRODs, it's likely MS will replace it with a newer board model 360.
    (Core/Premium got discontinued at the time newer boards were introduced AFAIK. If you send in a RROD'ed Core/Premium, they ship you back a console with modified newer board that doesn't have a HDMI port. Yes these cheapasses bothered designing a modified board for obsolete models because they don't want to give you free HDMI port =P)